Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Disturbed $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Elvis Presley

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 326-350 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 5:41:59 AM PDT
EF took too many prellies this AM.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 5:22:15 PM PDT
dallas says:
Elvis Fan
I couldn't agree more with you.

RIP Elvis

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 6:09:24 PM PDT
Judging by the number of knee-jerk negatives on the "...post adds to the discussion." button, EF has rounded up his disciples to troll this thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2012 8:16:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 18, 2012 8:17:00 PM PDT
Well....YOU told him about the thread, LOL. Or was that the concept album one?

Posted on Aug 18, 2012 10:17:41 PM PDT
S. O'Brien says:
I have never been a huge Elvis Presley fan, but he was a big influence on a lot of artists. Of all the oldies artists he would be just outside my top ten somewhere. For me personally, he would be behind Buddy Holly (Buddy was in a league of his own in my opinion), Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Eddie Cochran, Johnny Cash, Wanda Jackson, Ritchie Valens, Carl Perkins, Gene Vincent, and Big Bopper. Elvis I guess would be right around my 12th favorite.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 4:29:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 4:35:09 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I like all those artists too. Cash and Perkins were two of my favorites. Sadly several of those artists died young. We'll never know what they may have done. I have an anthology of Valens. He was very good. I also have a vinyl box set THE COMPLETE BUDDY HOLLY. I like early Elvis a lot but there were others who were more creative and wrote their own music.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:42:01 AM PDT
I tried to aim him at the Sgt. Pepper thread. I thought with all that cult, I could hear a mass slapping sound whenever EF tried to break in.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 7:45:54 AM PDT
Jules says:
Actually, you can hear it. When he posts some of his religious ravings the conversation goes on about music, like he wasn't even there. Makes me laugh every time;)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:30:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 5:32:22 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:34:42 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:36:18 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:40:09 PM PDT
ELVIS FAN says:

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:49:15 PM PDT
Severin says:
A Vegas act is just one step above dinner theater. It's sad and pathetic, like you. Elvis was a has-been, not wonder he feared the British invasion, he knew his day was over. He was a hillbilly neanderthal who got his first look at modern man. He was a sad, fat, drug-addicted dinosaur. If he had died 15 years sooner he might have done so with dignity instead of on a bathroom floor, alone, wife-less and a shallow mockery of his former self.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:51:19 PM PDT
Severin says:
"Creative genius"?! You can't be serious. He wasn't a creator, he ripped of black musicians, couldn't write a song to save his life and hardly played an instrument. All he created was a fried peanut butter and mayonnaise sandwich.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 5:57:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 6:08:37 PM PDT
Hinch says:
So anyone you disagrees with 'can't be taken seriously'. You can't even comprehend the idea there are various tastes and opinions.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 6:06:51 PM PDT
Hinch says:
If someone doesnt think Elvis was the best it must be because they didn't listen to him...right? You're the one who isnt taken seriously. Lol!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 6:32:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 6:35:43 PM PDT
Hinch says:
The Beatles looked up to Elvis until they met him. Lol. 'Heartbreak Hotel' got their attention and it inspired them, but it wasnt the real Elvis. The original Elvis of the fifties was the creation of Sam Philips. Elvis wanted to be a singer like his idol Dean Martin. After the army that's almost what he became, except Dean had his own tv show. Where was Elvis? Making silly movies. The songs he recorded in the sixties and seventies were not even rock and roll. The '68 Comeback Special showed he could still rock if he wanted to. He must have not wanted to. His Vegas years performances were a mix of MOR and parodies of rock and roll.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 10:17:01 PM PDT
Elvis Fan, by chance do you have a PAUSE button?

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:07:11 PM PDT
Who keeps letting ELVIS FAN outta that locker I stuffed him into?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 3:12:46 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Philip

Maybe it's the ghost of Elvis letting him out.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:44:55 PM PDT
Severin says:
He'll be back, he has to consult some pre-schoolers before he can post some more insults.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:28:05 PM PDT
Donald is correct as screaming can be heard coming from the schoolyard where the beast is sulking.
ELVIS FAN is near and more ignorant than ever before, keep the kiddies indoors!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 10:26:27 PM PDT
Park says:
Hey Philip, remember me? Anyway, I agree with you...Elvis certainly caused a sensation in his time. But it's time to get over it, stop the psychosis about thinking he is still alive, and that he continues to influence other musicians. Bologna!

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:46:08 AM PDT
Hello, Park.
Of course I remember you as you had the night shift at a certain thread a few years back. It's good to see you out here and still posting.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 11:30:51 AM PDT
AJA says:
I like Elvis. The first 45 record I had was "Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel." He wouldn't be on my Top 20 list of favorite musical artists, but there's at least a dozen songs he performed that I enjoy a lot. And I certainly recognize the huge impact he had in music and culture.

Elvis did not have the creative ability that some of his contemporaries had in those nascent days of rock and roll--Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Bo Diddley, and Buddy Holly come to mind. He was, however, a great innovator, putting his inimitable style to what others created to such a degree that he took ownership of those songs.
Two examples: the aforementioned "Hound Dog." I love Big Mama Thornton's original version; you can't beat it imo. But Elvis took it, re-did his way, and now it's his song forever. Same thing with "Promised Land." This Chuck Berry composition is one of the greatest rock and roll songs ever; but after Elvis recorded it, it became an Elvis song.

In this creator versus innovator dichotomy, I don't think the former inherently requires more ability than the latter. You need talent to be great at either one.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  84
Total posts:  2079
Initial post:  Aug 4, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 3, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions