Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best Album Covers?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 98 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2010 12:30:51 PM PDT
They are less relevant now than the days when you bought CD's and/or records, but still...what albums have your favorite covers?

A few I like:

1. Sgt Pepper's - Beatles
2. Odelay - Beck (what is that thing jumping over a hurdle?)
3. Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
4. Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
5. Beggar's Banquet - The Rolling Stones

I also enjoy all the weird claymation type art on all of Primus's albums.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 12:38:31 PM PDT
Sun Ra - Especially "Nubians..." and "Astro Black"
Yes - "Relayer" and "Close to the Edge"
Herbie Hancock - "Mr. Hands" and "Flood"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 1:10:16 PM PDT
My votes

Best All-round Cover:
[Consisting of 4 full paintings]

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000002J1Y/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

Best Interior Only:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00007LTI9/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_3?ie=UTF8&index=3

Best Cover and Single Interior:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000002J0B/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_all

Best Single Cover and Censored Cover:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B000068FY2/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_1?ie=UTF8&index=1

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2010 1:16:54 PM PDT
Really, anything Roger Dean did for Yes (including his recent stage backdrop for the Yes tour) are fascinating and worthy of your time.

Posted on Jul 14, 2010 11:24:32 PM PDT
Here's a bunch:

Nirvana - Nevermind (the universally-recognizable "water baby" cover)
Guns 'n Roses - Appetite For Destruction (original uncensored "robot rape" cover)
Ol' Dirty Bastard - Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Version (classic "food stamp card" cover)
James Brown - Try Me (original "woman with gun and cigarette" cover)
Cannibal Corpse - Butchered At Birth (gory "butcher" cover with woman and fetus)
Johnny Guitar Watson - Ain't That A B!tch ("women and dog" cover)
Herb Alpert And The Tijuana Brass - Whipped Cream And Other Delights (classic "woman in whipped cream" cover)
Ice Cube - Death Certificate (controversial "Uncle Sam toe tag" cover)
The Makers - The Makers ("middle finger" cover, commonly known as the "f- you" album)
Dead Kennedys - In God We Trust, Inc. (classic "Jesus on dollar cross" cover)
L L Cool J - Radio (iconic "boom box" cover)
Eric B. & Rakim - Paid In Full (classic "cash and bling" cover)
Thee Headcoats - Beach Bums Must Die ("beach" cover)
Neil Diamond - Shilo (with UNCONNECTED dots cover!)
The Velvet Underground And Nico (the famous "peel the banana" cover)
Jane's Addiction - Ritual De Lo Habitual (both censored "first ammendment" and uncensored "nude" covers)
The Five Keys - On Stage! (original uncensored "thumb/penis" cover)
Rage Against The Machine (the famous "immolation" cover)

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 5:57:26 AM PDT
i have to agree with Daniel - pretty much anything by Roger dean.
my own personal favorite being 'one live badger' by badger

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 6:26:00 AM PDT
brady71 says:
Rising- Blackmore's Rainbow
Axis:Bold As Love- Jimi Hendrix Experience
Captured Live- Johnny Winter
Piece Of Mind- Iron Maiden
Strange Universe- Mahogany Rush
Demons & Wizards- Uriah Heep
Beck-Ola- Jeff Beck
Long Misty Days- Robin Trower
Who By Numbers- The Who

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 6:33:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 15, 2010 6:40:56 AM PDT
The Slider--T.Rex
Aladinsane- Bowie
Eldorado-ELO
Horses--Patti Smith
The Smiths-1st lp
Transformer-Lou Reed
Sticky Fingers--Rollling Stones

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 7:01:07 AM PDT
G Dogg says:
The Go-Go's - Beauty and The Beat. Hollywood punk guttersnipes get cleaned up to become America's Sweethearts.
Kylie Minogue - Fever. She's only holding a necklace across her lip, but it should have been sold in a brown paper wrapper.
Christina Aguilera - Bionic. What every boy wants -- a blonde bombshell that's a robot.
Paula Abdul - Forever Your Girl. It works at different levels. You know behind the girl next door look she's smokin'.
Tom Tom Club - self titled. Cool cartoon.
Kool Moe Dee - How Ya Like Me Now. He's standing next to his jeep, and under the front tire is LL Cool J's iconic Kangol hat.
Public Enemy - Yo! Bum Rush The Show. A musical coup/takeover is a-brewin'.

Posted on Jul 15, 2010 9:30:07 PM PDT
Sad Wings of Destiny-Judas Priest , Any Iron Maiden cover but especially Killers and 7th Son of a 7th Son, Rocks-Aerosmith, Fair Warning-Van Halen, Double Live Gonzo-Ted Nugent

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 9:30:33 AM PDT
RAIDERHEAD says:
The best album covers are the Iron Maiden covers with Eddie. Well every one of there albums have Eddie on the cover. The art work is awesome. The themes are always different. And the detail is the best. Check them out for your self and let me know what you think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 9:45:10 AM PDT
I believe that's a puli on Beck's cover. A very unique looking herding dog.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 9:54:35 AM PDT
W.H. says:
Koo Koo (Deborah Harry)

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 10:16:38 AM PDT
Molly Hatchet -All Albums Iron Maiden-All Albums Kiss-Destroyer Lynyrd Skynyrd-Street Survivors (Flames album) Rolling Stones-Sticky Fingers A/C-D/C-Highway To Hell Edgar Winter-They All Came Out At Night ------Thats Just A Few Of My Favs---

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 12:17:41 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
here are some cool ones, off the top of my head

Dream Theater Octavarium, Black Clodus & Silver Linings
Fear Factory: Soul of a New Machine, Digimortal
Pestilence: Spheres (both the original and re-release are sweet looking)
Sonata Arctica: Silence
Symphony X: The Odyssey
King Crimson: Islands
Darkthrone: A Blaze in the Northern Sky, Under a Funeral Moon, Transilvanian Hunger
Burzum: Filosofem
The Sword: Warp Riders
Mastodon: Leviathan

and best of all

Roxy Music: Country Life

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 12:47:48 PM PDT
Jim says:
Little Feat's album covers are hard to beat. George Washington and Marilyn Monroe driving over a mountain in a lightning storm. A sexy duck sitting around a pool, or how about a slice of cake happily swinging in the back yard.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 12:49:19 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
i just looked up their album covers, i like the cover for hey-hoy

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 12:56:11 PM PDT
Jim says:
Yes he did some great work. His name was Neon Park. If you google him you can see his art. He did the cover of Weasals Ripped My Flesh by The Mothers of Invention.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 8:32:49 PM PDT
The cover of the first King Crimson album,"In the Court of the Crimson King" has always been eye-catching (I can't believe that the person who listed King Crimson above didn't mention it).My personal favorite,even though I don't own it yet,is "Country Life" by Roxy Music.= )

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 8:39:53 PM PDT
Hey,B. Berthelson! Two of the album cover ideas you mentioned were done long before the ones you have listed.The controversial "middle finger" picture was first done by Moby Grape on their eponymous debut album,and the "thumb/penis" cover was first done by Alice Cooper on their "Love It to Death" album.Both albums were eventually censored and both are must-owns.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 8:51:34 PM PDT
Can't believe I'm the first one to list it,but the original cover for The Beatles' Capitol compilation,"Yesterday"...And Today (the "butcher" cover) was considered so shocking back in 1966 that it was pasted over with a different cover and eventually Capitol stopped producing them altogether.For those of you that don't know,the original cover,which is now quite valuable,showed the four Beatles dressed in butcher smocks with decapitated baby dolls and pieces of meat hanging off of them.The look on George Harrison's face is particularly off-putting.Supposedly (though it's never been confirmed),this was the Beatles' response to Capitol "butchering" their albums by taking one British album and making it into two American albums with the addition of the A- and B-sides of their current singles.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 8:58:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 16, 2010 8:58:41 PM PDT
EpsilonX says:
I think the cover of In the Court of the Crimson King is actually really ugly. I really wish they made it something else, because the music is great. I dig spacey things though, which is why i like the cover of Islands.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2010 9:20:25 PM PDT
It may be ugly,but you can't deny that it's eye-catching.Still,this forum is titled "Best Album Covers" and,apparently,for you,that album doesn't fall under that category.Two more I forgot to mention initially: the original British album cover for the Jimi Hendrix Experience's "Electric Ladyland" (don't have that album with that cover,but I have enough pictures of it that I don't really need it) and "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath" by one of my all-time faves,Black Sabbath.While I'm at it,Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti" and Kiss' "Love Gun" are also excellent covers.Also,the cover of Elvis Presley's first album on RCA records has been hugely iconic.The Clash and k.d. lang have used that design for their album covers.Elton John's "Captain Fantastic" is really cool too.And don't forget about the Ohio Players' album covers.Now there was a band that knew how to exploit women!Which reminds me of the cover of Emerson,Lake & Palmer's "Brain Salad Surgery" (slang for a certain form of pleasure).Boy,this discussion could go on forever!

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 10:01:23 PM PDT
baron67 says:
Elvis Gold Records Vol. 2 & Elvis Presley. Just the sight of this madman with his mouth screaming out Rock & Roll was enough to scare those who didn't like him - and make the others love him even more.

Sgt. Pepper's. 'Nuff said. Rubber Soul. Acid Rock . . . "plastic soul man, plastic soul.

Pet Sounds . . . No more sun, surf and hot rods. Wouldn't have minded a few models on the back cover though!

Johnny Cash at San Quentin. Bob Dylan's greatest hits (1 I think) has the very same look.

Beatles "Butcher" cover.

Yes, Meatloaf and all the 70's bands who finally "got" the idea of "making" the album cover part of the entire experience. Too bad it is a lost art now. Oh well, it was nice while it was what it was.

Posted on Jul 16, 2010 10:41:27 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
Any such list that doesn't include Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon is worthless. That album cover may be responsible for this album's record-breaking longevity on the charts.

Honorable mentions:

Black Sabbath, Black Sabbath
Vol. 4, Black Sabbath
Sabotage, Black Sabbath
Never Mind the Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols, The Sex Pistols
Ten, Pearl Jam
Nevermind, Nirvana
Appetite for Destruction, Guns N' Roses
The Joshua Tree, U2
Achtung Baby, U2
The Downward Spiral, Nine Inch Nails
Blind Faith, Blind Faith
Led Zeppelin, Led Zeppelin
Houses of the Holy, Led Zeppelin
Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen
Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation 1814, Janet Jackson
Slave to the Grind, Skid Row
Blue Oyster Cult, Blue Oyster Cult
Tyranny and Mutation, Blue Oyster Cult
Stained Class, Judas Priest
...And Justice for All, Metallica
Like a Prayer, Madonna
Faith, George Michael
Songs in the Key of Life, Stevie Wonder
Come Away with Me, Norah Jones
The Notorious Byrd Brothers, The Byrds
Life after Death, The Notorious B.I.G.
American Gangster, Jay-Z
Lets Get Free, Dead Prez
Mama Said Knock You Out, LL Cool J
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6372 22 minutes ago
Long Careers in Music 42 3 hours ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4826 3 hours ago
Short but impactful careers in music 26 4 hours ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 32 5 hours ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 29 5 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2626 6 hours ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 174 6 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4049 8 hours ago
Who Ruled the 70's: The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac or Steely Dan? 492 12 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 28 13 hours ago
Your favourite novelty songs 101 19 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  98
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2010
Latest post:  Dec 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions