Customer Discussions > Music forum

Was Magical Mystery Tour the Beatles red-headed stepchild?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 118 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 7:21:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 7:23:22 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:38:55 AM PST
OOO! Bait! Is Roy Orbison still swinging around stuck in the top of the ferris wheel?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:43:02 AM PST
I declare that King Conan is another alias of our good buddy, Elvis Meade Skelton Fan! Troll alert!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:16:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 10:17:37 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 10:53:04 AM PST
Technically, MMT was an ep sountrack to the misguided and underdeveloped Movie, which was McCartney's folly. If memory serves I believe side one(yes I'm referring to vinyl here) is essentially the ep portion and side two is a few singles and their b-sides which make up the LP on the whole. In the US, this was how it appeared, in the UK only the ep existed at that time.

It amazes me how people consider this record an "official" follow-up to Sgt Pepper and the pre-empt to the White Album. I don't consider MMT to be a notable proper album. Same Goes for Yellow Submarine which is obvious in the material presented that it was a contractual obligation on the part of the group to comply with EMI/Capitol's said contract stipulation in regards to film releases having soundtracks to follow them. Unlike Help and A Hard Day's Night(the UK versions mind you) which were actual albums, these other two are slapped together cash grabbing products.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:39:35 AM PST
Meadisms: stinko, OK capitalized, heck, mature(he always points to immaturity when someone says something he doesn't like), the most obvious of all, he is attacking the Beatles! You are transparent Meade!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 12:26:03 PM PST
Hinch says:
MMT was indeed a U.K. double disc Ep. Side two of the U.S. Capitol lp was previously released non-album singles. The album was another one Capitol put together.

I don't find MMT to contain any "stinkers". "I Am The Walrus" is one of my favorites, along with the singles on side two. "Fool On The Hill" is also one of their best.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 12:34:01 PM PST
Magical Mystery Tour was the first LP to contain both "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" and those two songs alone meant it was going to sell a few million copies back in 1967. If Meade Skelton doesn't like this record that makes me enjoy it that much more...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 2:06:45 PM PST
No. Elvis Fan is a rabid social conservative born-again bible-thumping anti-Obama rock-music-is-the-devil's-music kinda gay-leaning guy with a barely grade school education. I don't think this feller's that kind of, er, inventive....

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:09:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 5:05:18 PM PST
The pained expression on the face of 'KING CONAN'S' profile photo appears to be the inevitable result from attempting an original thought.
Poor, poor Meade...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 3:17:27 PM PST
Thirty-Ought Six,
Thanks for the comprehensive history behind MMT.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:19:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 3:24:55 PM PST
Great album with superb songs like "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Penny Lane", "I Am the Walrus", "All You Need Is Love" and the title track. Only two below-par songs on the whole thing -- the pleasant but redundant instrumental "Flying" and the dreary "Blue Jay Way". Otherwise, it's great.

The movie, however, is a whole other story. That film should have never been released. The British public was right on that one.

The worst Beatles album will always remain the 'Yellow Submarine' soundtrack, if only because of the full side of George Martin orchestral music that would be better heard sitting in a dentist chair.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:23:05 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
If by red-headed stepchild you mean something very worthy that is unfairly given the brush off, then yes, MMT qualifies. I've never understood why the album was so underrated. As has been mentioned, the fact that it has Penny Lane and Strawberry Fields alone is enough to make it notable. Then add Fool On The Hill, I Am The Walrus, and All You Need Is Love. I even love the campy Your Mother Should Know. You can even make a case that MMT has better individual songs than Pepper. MMT was probably given short shrift (although it sold pretty well) because it followed on the heels of Pepper and because of the disastrous presentation of the MMT movie (which may be getting its recognition with the recent release). Pepper blew everyone's mind becasue it was so different in the songs, presentation, uniforms, band idea, etc. Both John and George are on record as saying that it is merely some good songs sandwiched between the Pepper into and reprise. It is not the unified album people thought and has not aged nearly as well as Revolver, Rubber Soul (imho), or Abbey Road. MMT - damn good record.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 3:49:43 PM PST
Hinch says:
I don't know how many identities are the same person. I do wonder if there's a limit amazon puts on the amount of accounts one person can create.

Concerning Conan, the photo comes closer to what what I've imagined E.F. looks like, than the photos and videos I've seen of Meade.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 4:53:12 PM PST
There aren't any post that explain his feelings on MMT. Trust me this is Meade, Elvis, RVA... He called me Danny. Elvis has done that before. If You look at Conan's profile, read the reviews and note the dates. He has been cooking this personality since June and now its ready. If you read his reviews, you can't miss his writing style, same old, Elvis!

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 4:56:12 PM PST
Good ol' ELVIS FAN under any name he chooses there will be at least one new thread a day started by this nutbag.
He hates The Beatles he loves ELVIS and he is Meade Skelton, when will it ever end...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:07:23 PM PST
Hinch says:
Daniel

I don't doubt the possibility. I'm pretty sure E.F. has expressed dislike for "I Am The Walrus" and "Strawberry Fields Forever". He dislikes (or claims to dislike) most of their music. I think a couple of times he's admitted he likes several Beatles songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:17:33 PM PST
I would bet that photo is 40 years old...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:19:29 PM PST
I saw it in the Sears catalog in 1968...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:19:50 PM PST
Hinch says:
It really doesn't look like a new photo, now you mention it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 5:22:00 PM PST
Severin says:
Robert, I agree on 'Flying' but I've always liked 'Blue Jay Way'. It has an eerie sound with the background backwards vocals, keyboards, etc. I've never been partial to the title track though. 'Baby You're A Rich Man' was a great b-side and I even like 'Hello Goodbye' which gets a lot of flak from a lot of people.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 6:56:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 6:58:02 PM PST
@Boogie Chillen': You're Welcome..

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:04:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 8:07:20 PM PST
Like Thirty-Ought Six, I don't really think of MMT as an album, because it was a double-EP set in their home country. However, the US version now seems to have crept into official "canon" status (ie. all the CD releases now in both the US and UK feature the full-length US album contents). The only song songs I never cared for were "Hello Goodbye" and "Your Mother Should Know" (both are just far too twee for my taste), the rest is magnificent (I like "Blue Jay Way"). But I still think of it primarily as a double-EP, since that's how the Beatles intended it to be and therefore that's how it should be judged. All those songs on side two were never meant to be on an album. They make up a great album anyways, but I think if The Beatles had wanted MMT to be a full album, they would have organized it differently, possibly more conceptually like "Pepper" (especially as it was tied to the film).

But either EP or LP version is superb no matter what way you cut it. There's no sub-par Beatles product, IMO. Even "Yellow Submarine" (well, the group portion on side one) has "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much"!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 8:47:41 PM PST
Severin says:
In the CD age I can't see them releasing MMT as a single disc with just the 6 soundtrack songs on it. Had it been up to me I would have added the 4 "new" songs from "Yellow Submarine" as well. That would have come to 15 songs, not overly long. Anyway most people liked the idea, it was being imported into Britain and EMI eventually released it in 1976.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 8:56:36 PM PST
@Donald J.Nelson: yes you are correct, in the CD age it made more sense to just release the US version. Adding on the four new YS songs might have worked, although oddly enough I like the cover art and packaging for that album (ie. the review of The White Album on the back cover), so I wouldn't want to see the original YS go entirely out of print. I liked the YS Songtrack idea of including all the Beatle songs that made the film, atlhough even then, they totally had room on the CD to still tack on Martin's orchestral score at the end.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  118
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions