Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: Most overated band of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 10, 2010 2:59:03 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
Who thinks The Beatles are the moast overated band of all time?

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:03:08 PM PDT
I don't

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:03:46 PM PDT
Me neither

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:05:26 PM PDT
I think they are under rated.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 3:17:50 PM PDT
Porcupine D says:
I don't either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 3:22:10 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
I think they are a boy band made good. If they didn't make all the money they did for their label with the early pop stuff (the I Want To Hold Your Hand), I don't think they would have been signed to do the White Album.

However, because of their overwhelming popularity and their internal desire for change and creativity, they did change and open the music scene to a whole new direction from their begining cover band days.

And, as a song writing team John & Paul are/were magic and they created a number of classic songs.

But no, I don't think they are the best band ever. I rarely listen to anything by them any more but when I do I'm inclined to smile and keep listening. I will admit, however, a couple of days ago Rocky Racoon came on and I was just not into it and changed the station.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:27:45 PM PDT
I don't think they are over-rated.....either

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 3:28:28 PM PDT
A boy band who could record a whole album of original material and play all the instruments themselves.

Rock and roll was almost dead and gone when the Beatles gave it a jump start and breathed life back into music in general.

To talk about the Beatles you can't only talk about music, but the cultural impact they had in general.

Many might have trudged the same road as them, but they did it all without a road map, from the most desolate place.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:36:37 PM PDT
ED S. says:
How many bands have had a "Rock Band" Video game named after them?
And why?

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:39:12 PM PDT
Book Lady says:
You would have to be INSANE to even THINK that the Beatles are overated.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:40:27 PM PDT
S. Rice says:
You can tell how overrated any band is by how upset people get when you call them overrated.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 3:55:56 PM PDT
i dont think they are overrated. there are hundreds of bands that owe their very existence to them.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:00:13 PM PDT
those of you who did not have to listen to top 40 radio as the only choice really can't understand the impact of the beatles had on rock and roll (as it was known in the dark ages). at the very least, the other influential bands of the time probably wouldn't have gotten a hearing in the us. think stones, kinks, yardbirds, zombies, animals.
yes, the beatles weren't the best on their instruments. yes, they weren't the best singers. but they changed the music.
someone really interested could do some serious research in the hits on top 40 before the arrival of the beatles and after. it was the beatles who began the idea of the album as a entity, not a just a few hit singles and whatever else could be dredged up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:02:48 PM PDT
Great point S.Rice. Im not a Beatles fan at all. I like hard rock/heavy metal music. I dont think the Beatles are overrated. There is no Greatest band of alltime just most popular band. The Beatles, Stones and Led Zep are rated where they should be. The band i think is overrated is the who.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:03:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 4:04:23 PM PDT
Yes, the Beatles are the most overrated band of all time. They are also the greatest band of all time.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:22:01 PM PDT
G Dogg says:
Their press conferences were the best of any band's.

Musically, the 300 pound (disarming, cuddly) gorilla in the theater that's hard to underestimate.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:27:45 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Janice...rather than post my own thoughts right away , I'd like to ask you as the originator of the thread (and it's a great question, by the way)...do YOU think they're overrated and, if so, why??

Iceblossom...what do mean by "signed to do The White Album"?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:29:27 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
NO!

They're under rated

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:31:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 10, 2010 4:31:59 PM PDT
Actually you can tell how influentual they are by the jealousy created by that influence. There are those who feel they cannot like The Beatles because of their overwhelming popularity and lasting appeal.

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:32:21 PM PDT
Paul says:
As a Musician...All I have to say is that they changed the whole music culture...For those of u who think they are over rated...have no idea what music is and should not comment on what they have no idea on what they are talking about.. THEY ARE THE GREATEST BAND EVER...I there will never b another BEATLES!!!!! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:35:30 PM PDT
Captain Ogre says:
Janice,

I, too, am interested in hearing your thoughts. You threw the topic out, but didn't state your own opinion

Posted on Aug 10, 2010 4:39:18 PM PDT
MC says:
What are you, deaf?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:40:44 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
I mean that if the Beatles had "progressed" to the white album style(s) that if they had shopped that sound to the labels in 1960 that no one would have signed them/produced the album.

They were given a lot of leeway and latitude in going their own direction because they had a ready market and people would buy anything they produced. If they had not already made so much money for the label something like No. 9 would NEVER had been published on a major label, not in 1960 anyway. Sure, maybe by 1968 but it would still be a really hard sell.

Societally as well, we had also come a long way from "I want to hold your hand" to "why don't we do it in the road" :p

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:43:50 PM PDT
underrated? hah they are arguably the most critically acclaimed band of all time

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 10, 2010 4:47:39 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
Well said. I do like some of the Beatles' music, but people place them on far too high a pedestal.
One thing in particular that I can't stand about the Beatles is that they take a lofty, on-the-hill, in-a-mansion view of social struggle.
Their more psychedelic music aside, which I like, they are far too passive and soft for their own good.
They serve up a watered-down, lilywhite version of the blues and true rock and roll.
While the Wailers (meaning the group that had Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer and Bob Marley in its lineup) were influenced in part by the Beatles, I think they're a much better band, with edgy music to match the topics they take on.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 54 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  1348
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions