Customer Discussions > Music forum

Who's still wicked good, despite having been around a looooooooonnng time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 102 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jun 7, 2012 10:52:23 AM PDT
Fischman says:
Just as the Who's a Nice Guy thread introduced a positive alternative to the Biggest D**** in Rock thread, here's a nice counter to the Who Needs to Hang it Up thread.

I'll start with Buddy Guy--at 75, the man can still bring it like nobody's business.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:02:56 AM PDT
Lou Reed (I hope his next album will be done with Slayer LOL)
Neil Young
sometimes Bruce Springsteen and Bob Dylan
I have been slightly disappointed with the last few records by Leonard Cohen
The Stones are still good live, but I haven't listened to their new material
I wish Johnny Cash could have stayed here for a thousand years
I'm sad to hear on that other thread that Tom Petty has been on his last tour - I like what he did with Mudcrutch

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 11:17:17 AM PDT
Paul McCartney.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:24:24 AM PDT
Fischman says:
"I wish Johnny Cash could have stayed here for a thousand years"

Johnny sounded "mature" when he was young, so as he aged, he didn't lose much.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:29:12 AM PDT
Randy says:
Jerry Lee Lewis' last two albums were outstanding.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:52:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 12:45:28 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
For my money, the band at the longest who is still closest to their peak is RUSH. Sure, their albums haven't been super-exciting in a while now, but they all have something worth exploring, and live, they just flat out deliver the goods. My brother saw them in the 70's and early 80's and then not again until their recent Time Machine tour and he thought the last tour was every bit as good as what he saw back in the day, and I can believe it.

And perhaps equally important, it's still the same 3 guys doing it all these years later....

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:57:11 AM PDT
Fischman says:
What keeps Rush fresh is that they are constantly evolving musically. Where groups like the Stones lose some of their luster by rehashing the same sound, good as it may be, groups like Rush find a way to stay musically relevant. Even Neil's lyrics have evolved continuously throughout the years.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:00:57 PM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Bill Kirchen (ex commander cody axe man) - easily the current master of the tele caster or king of diesil-billy .....dont miss this guy. He usually travels with just bass & drums (aka Two Much Fun)....he is an amazing showman & great guy....very rare combo.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:04:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 12:42:18 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
Agreed. And Peart's lyrics are 1 area where I feel they've actually improved. Apart from "2112", I didn't care for much of the sci-fi and deeply literary oriented lyrics he wrote earlier on ('2112' was kinda sci-fi, but still had a humanistic element to it also). I prefer his latter lyrics that are more about the human condition like "Entre Nous", "Limelight", "Losing It", "Time Stand Still", "How It Is", etc.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:07:04 PM PDT
Fischman says:
I once saw an interview with Geddy Lee where he was asked "Why Don't you do another Moving Pictures or another 2112?" As those were my two favorite albums, I thought that was a pretty good question.

Geddy's response wess brilliant in it's simplicity and really quite obvious when you think about it: "Because we already did Moving Pictures and 2112."

As much as I like those albums to this day, I really appreciate folks who don't repeat themselves. To beable to keep it up across multiple decades is particularly impressive.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 12:57:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 12:58:33 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
FRAMPTON knocked my socks off last year...for 3 1/2 hours!
First set was Comes Alive.
The second set of new stuff was out of this world...I went and bought Fingerprints and Mr. Chirchill on the way out!

A few wimpy songs...true...but the dude can PLAY!!!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 1:05:46 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 1:06:22 PM PDT
Steve Vrana says:
Here are four artists who continue to release relevant music:

Richard Thompson, 63, one of the greatest guitarists of all time and a helluva songwriter to boot!

Loudon Wainright, 65, one of the great storytellers with a wicked sense of humor.

Bruce Cockburn, 67, still angry after all these years and a gifted guitar player.

All three of these artists have released terrific albums in the past year. [Note: I'd add Leo Kottke, 66, to the list but he hasn't released a studio album since 2004's TRY AND STOP ME.]

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:26:22 PM PDT
Robin Trower-Saw him last year. He may not look like he did in the 70s but,he sure can play as great as he did in the 70s.
Tony Iommi
Buck Dharma
Michael Schenker
Iron Maiden

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:30:35 PM PDT
Ray Wylie Hubbard - for my money, the best writer in the business...and getting better all the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:32:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 3:35:13 PM PDT
Stranglers' drummer Jet Black (74)
Jorma Kaukonen (72)
UK Subs frontman Charlie Harper (68)
Lee Ving (66)
Raymond "Captain Sensible" Burns (58)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 7, 2012 2:52:47 PM PDT
Randy says:
Paul, I was just about to post Ray Wylie! His last two albums are both superb.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 2:54:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2012 2:55:11 PM PDT
I'll put in a plug for Ray Wylie as well, along with Dion, Alejandro Escovedo, Ahmad Jamal, and 112-year-old Ian Hunter.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:05:30 PM PDT
Randy says:
Let's not forget Glen Campbell, who is going out with dignity and an excellent final album.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 3:43:31 PM PDT
mac says:
Glenn Phillips of Hampton Grease Band fame is still going strong!

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 8:07:54 PM PDT
Ray Davies recent post Kinks solo career.
Peter Gabriel probably has more to offer, but stuck in this 're-inventing' his past catalog with minimal instruments phase for now it seems.
Bowie was putting out good music until his heart attack 6-7 years ago and he seems to have retired. Hope he offers some new music in the near future.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 10:37:18 PM PDT
axslinger says:
Cheap Trick...Their last few albums are just as good as anything they did in the 70's and they are still great live.
Michael Schenker...Not a big fan of his newest album, but the guy still has great chops.

Posted on Jun 7, 2012 11:28:35 PM PDT
bozokarl says:
Allman Brothers Band

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2012 6:44:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 8, 2012 6:47:28 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
axslinger -- which Cheap Trick albums in particular are you feeling are as good as any of their 70's work? I'm open to recommendations as I've recently filled in a few blanks in my early Cheap Trick collection (mainly the first 2 albums) and have also been giving the titles I already had some pretty heavy listening, so fell in love all over again with thier 1977-1980 work, but sadly, I've found nothing since then that has really grabbed me. I picked up "Special One" and the '97 self-titled disc, and I already had "Woke Up With A Monster," but none of those titles had much that I felt was anywhere close to their 70's work. So for now anyway, I just stopped exploring. I started a thread here to see what people thought their best work post-1980 work was, but it got absolutely zero interest so it seems most people here agree that 1977-80 is just about all you need to know about Cheap Trick.

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 6:51:54 AM PDT
Steve Hackett - Sort of a minimalist in the world of electric guitar that never plays more notes than necessary and chooses the arrangements carefully.

Richard Thompson - Acoustic and electric guitar that never offends the ear, although I think his early material was a bit stronger. His son Teddy has inherited the magic.

Cheap Trick - Although their songwriting will never be as good as the 1970's again, their playing is still fresher than most.

Beck Hanson - OK 20 years isn't that long but I will probably buy all his future albums sight unseen.

(I couldn't be any more disappointed with Rush and Peter Gabriel...these guys have tarnished their legacies in last 25 years. It's downright painful to hear the difference between then and now.)

Posted on Jun 8, 2012 7:05:52 AM PDT
Iron Maiden.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  102
Initial post:  Jun 7, 2012
Latest post:  May 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions