Customer Discussions > Music forum

Who doesn't like to listen to Elvis?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2012 7:53:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 7:56:31 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Just wondering. I listen to Elvis now and then. I mostly like his recordings from the 1950s. Is there anyone who doesn't like him at all?

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 8:15:30 PM PDT
Not me, Hinch. Even though I grew up on 70's Rock, I really like his 50's music, and I think his 68' Comeback Special is one of the best live shows ever made. I also have a copy of Jailhouse Rock on DVD. It's probably his best movie. IMO
BTW: Have you seen Elvis: That's the Way it is? I have read that it is a really good documentary of him preparing for a show in Vegas.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 8:31:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 19, 2012 8:55:06 PM PDT
S. O'Brien says:
Hinch,
I'm about the same. Just listen to him now and then. He has quite a few songs that are just too goofy for me and also a lot of songs that are just horrible. Songs like "Teddy Bear", "Stuck On You", Good Luck Charm", and "Return To Sender" to name a few I can't listen to at all. His version of "Let's Have A Party" is pretty bad compared to Wanda Jackson's version. She absolutely destroys his version of that song. Elvis covers a lot of songs and I usually prefer the version of the song that he didn't do. "Blue Suede Shoes" is better by Carl Perkins in my opinion. Same with "Ready Teddy". I prefer Little Richard's version. Same with "Tuitti Fruitti". Buddy Holly's version of "Ready Teddy" is superior also. I also like Willie Nelson's version of "Always On My Mind" better. I definitely like his early fifties stuff more than his later years. He had a great voice, but to me not a great voice for rock n roll. More suited for the gospel and pop stuff and he is very lucky he was able to cover songs or have all his songs written for him. Suspicious Minds is probably my favorite song of his from his later years. Like I said on the other thread. I think Buddy Holly is the best. Others from that era that I prefer to Elvis are Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, Wanda Jackson, Ritchie Valens, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Gene Vincent, Big Bopper, Carl Perkins, and Johnny Cash.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2012 8:58:08 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I wouldn't say that I don't like him at all, however, there was a time that would say that. He's got a great voice and I preferred his balads to his rock 'n' roll songs. I think his influence was/is tremendous and many of my favorites were influenced by him. The only music I own of his are one or two of his Christmas CDs. So, I can pretty honestly say I really don't listen to Elvis with the exception of Christmas music of course.

Posted on Aug 19, 2012 9:01:52 PM PDT
A customer says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:05:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 6:12:02 AM PDT
Johnny Bee says:
His 50s stuff and the stuff he recorded during his come-back in 1968? are great. But I could do without the 'fat' Elvis period.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 4:55:08 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I don't own any Elvis and don't go out of my way to listen to him. My wife's a fan and has a couple of his cd's, but if I want 50's stuff, I tend to prefer, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly and a few others. I don't DIS-like him though; if he comes on the radio or whatever, I'll listen as he has some stuff I like. Just not enough to buy and listen regularly. My favorite song of his is probably the latter-era track, "Suspicious Minds".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 5:48:19 AM PDT
Randy says:
I agree 100% with ZLH's post.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 6:03:16 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Yes, I have seen that documentary. It's one of only several Elvis movies own on dvd. I like it much more than Aloha From Hawaii.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:06:52 AM PDT
Severin says:
I have only 2 Elvis CDs, "Elvis 30 #1 Hits" and "Elvis 2nd To None." I don't play them much, 1 has anti-pirating software that won't let me play it in my car. Also I'm not often in the mood to hear Elvis. I can't stand a few of his songs like 'Hound Dog' and 'Jailhouse Rock' and 'Hard Headed Woman.' He was definitely influential but not everyone's cup of tea. There are much more interesting albums to listen to. People complain about Bob Dylan's voice but I'd rather listen to him than Elvis any day of the week.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:28:31 AM PDT
MTK says:
Greetings from the Tennessee Delta. Surprise, surprise, most people from Memphis are a bit "over" Elvis as an artist. Last week was the annual "Elvis Week"-- a 7 day celebration of the life of one of rock n' roll's biggest stars. 75,000 people came this year to eat PB and Banana sandwiches, light candles in honor of Presley, and grace our city with tourism dollars AND lotsa love for The King. Most of the folks here in Memphis are not Elvis fanatics. Seems everyone has an Elvis story about when they met him or saw him or some such tale, but his music is not really regularly played on the radio. We do our best to keep his memory alive, but strangely his biggest fans live elsewhere.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 6:49:21 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I listen rarely...when I do I listen to my Vegas style Elvis Live CD...Aloha From Hawaii...it has my E favorite...In the Ghetto!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 12:43:35 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Donald...I probably like Elvis more than you do but I agree, there are others I like more...Dylan included. I'd also put Kristofferson and Cash on the list. A technically great voice isn't everything. I probably wouldnt list Elvis in my top 100, but I like many artists.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 12:53:39 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 12:56:24 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I've been to Memphis once but never to Graceland. We went to Al Green's church. It was during the week but we were hoping to meet him. He wasn't there but a caretaker let us in to look around and take some photos. We spent most of the day at the zoo and a local park. We also took a ride in a horse drawn carriage. I'd like to go back and see more sites, including Graceland.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 1:15:46 PM PDT
Severin says:
I love the Rev. Al Green. I've got his "Greatest Hits," "More Greatest Hits" and "Everything's OK." I remember seeing him on Ally McBeal, great appearance, better than Barry White.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 2:22:40 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I saw Al Green twice in the early seventies at his peak. He was a great performer. The women were going crazy. Lol. I have photos I took at both concerts. I have quite a few of his albums including a few gospel. From what I've seen on tv and the rrhof dvd performances he's still a great performer and singer.

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 3:08:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 20, 2012 5:01:38 PM PDT
Like Donald, I have 2 Elvis cd's. Elvis 30 #1 Hits and 2nd To None. I also have the Hawaii DVD. I like Elvis. I don't listen to him very often but when I do, I smile. I have fond memories of a teenage neighbor of mine spinning Elvis all day long. She thought he was it! I was just 5 at the time but it did leave a lasting impression. Then I turned 6 and started listening to the Beatles!

Posted on Aug 20, 2012 8:44:17 PM PDT
Love the Sun Sessions. Scotty Moore and Bill Black rock. And Elvis creates something new just by his rhythm and approach you can hear it in these sides. And his energy along with the Scotty and Bill just - Rock! Still listen all the time to this one. The best was the beginning. Just rockin', honest, and true.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 12:25:44 AM PDT
meh, he just dosent hit home or uplift like say Marvin Gaye or James Brown

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 4:23:33 AM PDT
Severin says:
Agreed, I don't dislike Elvis but there are hundreds of disks I'll listen to instead. I can go years without playing my Elvis CD's. I don't listen to much music from the late '50/early '60s, I think music came into its own with the British invasion and when Dylan went electric. At that point artists were writing their own songs and playing instruments. The era of just being a singer was over.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 8:08:02 AM PDT
When I was a kid in the 60's, I didn't like him at all and I considered him to be an 'old fogey.' I thought he fit in with my parent's generations music, you know--Frank Sinatra, Perry Como, etc. which seemed old and cliche. It wasn't until I saw him live in Las Vegas in 1975 (I was 15) that I began to appreciate his talent. At that time, he was already kind of older and fatter and still what I considered to be 'schmalzty' but man, he really had a voice! Even though he was a little sick and even complained about it on stage, his voice just had a certain resonance and quality that I had never appreciated before. I still don't have any of his CD's though.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 8:43:47 AM PDT
Severin says:
The closest I got was seeing an Elvis impersonator a couple of months after the real one died. The guy was good, had the jumpsuit, scarves and everything. Elvis had a lot of imitators even before he died but no one could duplicate his sound. His voice was unique. But that still doesn't get him into my top 100.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 9:21:26 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
I like Elvis ok as a singer/performer but mostly respect him for having taken part in the evolution of rock n roll from simply another name for r&b (re: Alan Freed) played for white folks to a music that incorporated country/blues/r&b/gospel/pop, etc. And it is quite clear that Elvis could sing in any of those styles and do them proud. Even the much ado about his gyrations on stage/tv were only important to white audiences since black audiences had seen blues/r&b artists do it in clubs at least as early as the 40's. They must have been bemused at all the fuss at showing Elvis' lower body movements on the Ed Sullivan Show (he was shown from the waist up). Muddy Waters was doing it in clubs regularly but white folks never saw him.

So, yes, I respect the vocalese of Elvis, even if he'd probably NOT be my favorite vocalist in any of those genres he worked in. He was, in essence, a style maker of sorts, at least to white audiences and his importance is hard to dismiss. Yes, I think Jerry Lee and Little Richard's vocals blow him away but it doesn't take anything away from, say, his great Sun Session recordings, where country and blues and r&b were melded to create a truly unique music called rock n roll - no longer simply a code name for black r&b played for white folks.

ed.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 11:14:27 AM PDT
RIZZO _*.*_ says:
Like many singers....... there is a time, a place, a mood, an action...... for listening to Elvis.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 6:45:28 AM PDT
Once every 3 or 4 months is plenty for me. Even then it's "Elvis Gospel" late at night or "Sun Sessions" while I'm doing yard work or riding my bicycle. I like a few songs after 1960 but less often.

I know it's pointless to compare singers but Scott Walker is sort of the logical successor to Elvis and had some really fantastic arrangements. It's impossible for me to ever get tired of "Scott3" or "Scott4." They're the kind of songs you wish Elvis had done in his middle years if he wasn't so damaged by drugs.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2012
Latest post:  May 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions