Customer Discussions > Music forum

2013 Grammys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 11, 2013 10:34:51 AM PST
dwood78 says:
Well it finally came & went. I didn't get a chance to watch it. So for those who seen it, what are the highlights & lowlights?

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:45:35 AM PST
vivazappa says:
The staging was the highlight on the few moments I could stomach.
Who are "fun"? That was awful.

The Grammy's were lost on me decades ago...but I always like to torture myself and look in on the mess.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:47:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 10:47:36 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
I only perused the list of winners and nominees. The fact that Fun won anything was tragic.

The rest was just "meh". 2012 was a crappy year for music.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:47:30 AM PST
ED S. says:
Taylor Swift!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The whole show was great. The tribute to Bob Marley with Bruno Mars, Sting, and Ziggy Marley (???), was surprisinly good.
Taylor Swift!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The best thing I saw, was the Jack White piece. He did some of that rock/traditional stuff with his all girl band. As tha stage went dark after the song, another stage lit up and Jack again was with his guy rock band and just ripped it up.
Everybody was nice and everybody seemed genuinely happy to be part of the scene.
Katy Perrys boobs......Rihanna was on several times and was very good at what she did. Fun had fun and just talked TWICE about how old they were. They look to be in thier late twentys/thirtys.

It really came off as a vintage "Dick Clarks All-Star Review" with awards given between performances. It was more like a musical revue than an awards show. I would have liked to be there.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:56:34 AM PST
ED S. says:
Katy Perry gave the award for best new artist. She made this poinyent observation.

"For you new artists that do not win, don't be discouraged. I wasn't even nominanted for best new artist, and I now have my own custom eyelash line."

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:22:56 AM PST
A customer says:
Heh. "Poinyent".

I didn't watch it. The Grammys don't really mean anything at all. It's not as though you're being recognized by your actual peers.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 11:45:18 AM PST
Only for the popular stuff.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:49:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 11:53:24 AM PST
Micaloneus says:
Awful show as usual. Love the DVR.

The grammys did get it right with Clarkson's Stronger LP getting the best pop vocal album award. The other nominees weren't even close.
A pop album of the truest sence; in that it covers so many styles and she does it with such ease. Amazing vocals thoughtout.
The album also had three huge hits, if you count the deluxe edition extra, "Don't You Wanna Stay? w/ Jason Aldean.

At this point, Clarkson is one of the most consistent pop stars of the 21st century; and still relevant after 10+ years. Amazing.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:52:03 AM PST
At least this is good:

Best Folk Album: "The Goat Rodeo Sessions," Yo-Yo Ma, Stuart Duncan, Edgar Meyer and Chris Thile

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 11:54:38 AM PST
ED S. says:
The absense of guitar bands was pretty obvious. Fun and Mumford and son, the Lumineers and Bruno Mars. Bruno Mars had the hottest band with horn along the line of the James brown band of yesteryear. Guitar groups have got to get with the program because a bunch of guys just standing and playing is about exciting as watching pedestrians at a bus stop.
If you saw the big ending with LL Cool Jay, Chuck D, Tom Morello and some INCREDIBLE drumming by Travis Barker, you saw hip hop mixed with a blazing rock band. Travis Barker even used a cow bell! Most finales do not live up to their hype. This one did.
Rock and hip hop are sort of melding, with a lot of rock artists using full band and rock groups incorporating more hip hop.

If you do not like modern music, then the grammys are not for you.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 11:58:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 11:59:47 AM PST
ED S. says:
There, you have hit it on the head. The grammys is the peoples music, caucasian, black, oriental, hispanic, and all the countries all over the world. If you just want to hear a bunch of narrow nich music, then that is what YouTube is for. This Grammy 2013 show was seen all over the world.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 12:29:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 1:12:49 PM PST
A. Marchese says:
Mumford & Sons, The Black Keys, Fun. and Gotye, all deserved to win Grammys. It's about time Indie bands get recognized for their work. These bands are a breathe of fresh air in a stale and bland music scene.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 12:44:22 PM PST
stevign says:
The Grammys do good work. Not that anyone ever watches it on television, but the people who put on the Grammys every year round up the city's junkies and homeless population, buy them some clothes at the Salvation army, give them a bath, feed 'em and fill the seats in the auditorium. I think that's nice.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 12:58:18 PM PST
GarionOrb says:
Except the Grammys do not televise any awards for categories other than pop, rock, hip-hop and country....

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:00:04 PM PST
ED S. says:
That is not true Stevign. Last nights Grammys was the second highest watched grammys with a audience of 41.2 million.
As for your disdain for the homeless, "there but for fortune go you or I".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:17:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 1:19:01 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
Gotta agree...Bruno Mars (whose songs always strike me as extremely Police-ish) and Sting were alot of fun. Sting still has an amazing voice and I was super happy to see a real rocker show the kids how it's done. Another highlight was the Levon Helm tribute-- the all-star version of "The Weight" was a real treat-- big kudos go to Brittany Howard from the Alabama Shakes for her amazing verse...WOW. Mumford and Sons were amazing....Jack White still out there.....The Black Keys rocked it out in grand fashion-- glad i had the chance to see them in Oxford Mississippi a few years back while they were still and underground sensation. Great ROCK music, which needs a bigger presence on the national charts....

Low Lights? I did NOT understand the hoopla over Frank Ocean, a new soul singer with a song about Forrest Gump? I did not like that song even a bit. I hope he has better stuff than that on his album. I hate just about everything Carrie Underwood does and her performance didn't change my opinion one bit.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:19:57 PM PST
S. Rice says:
I can't believe Swans finally won an album of the year Grammy for `The Seer'. I'll bet no one saw that coming.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:21:15 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Hilight: Jack White's performance, and the all-star tribute to Levon Helm.

Lowlight: Fun winning ANYTHING over Alabama Shakes.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:22:15 PM PST
A customer says:
Frank Ocean is horrible. Overplayed though it may be, "Hotel California" is a classic song. What Ocean did to it is unspeakable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:27:17 PM PST
ED S. says:
You are right GarionOrb. The list is huge. There is even a winner for best Childrens Record, best regge, and even best heavy metal. And MUCH more. So a decision has to be made what is going to be televised for three hours, and of course, it is going to be what the populus, all races and types listen to. If we all liked to listen to spoken word albums, then the winner this year would be on stage. The winner this year is Janis Ian of "Societys Child" fame. There are classical and new age winners. They got a grammy, just no air time.

Who wants to see some recording engineer get a grammy? Just as important as a singer, but.................

You have all got to remember, we live in a democracy where all people have a say. So really, the grammys is a very democratic form of show. It is a sampling of Americas musical tastes basically by top 40 run down.

There are award shows for Country, Latin, and hiphop. But the Grammys are for everybody, of all kinds.

Lastly, it is a SHOW. A spectacle. Eye candy as well as ear candy. Taylor swift did not parade around in skimpy outfits because nobody was watching her. Everybody was watching her. She is hot and sex sells.

Watch the opening number, "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together" by swift with its fairy tale, Cirque De Solil stage work. What a trip.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:39:07 PM PST
A customer says:
"She is hot and sex sells."

Taylor Swift?! Yeah, stretching the definition of "hot", there. Just a little bit...

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:45:48 PM PST
Taylor Swift hot??? For sure, for sure. I think she is the sexiest performer out there right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:48:48 PM PST
ED S. says:
Not even stretching the statement a little bit. She was showcased throughout the program because of her looks. I got a sex meter between my legs that knows when some gal is sexy or not. And so do the people who put her in the show.

Ian...you stated you did not watch the show. And yet you are now critiqing Billy Oceans Performance on the Grammys you did not watch. What gives???????

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 1:51:09 PM PST
S. Rice says:
Billy Ocean?

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:51:26 PM PST
Mikal says:
I live in Australia & we didn't get the Grammy's 2013 telecast, we used to get it broadcast every year but since early 00's they stopped it entirely, & I feel like I'm missing out on everything in the 'Pop Universe'. Oz TV is littered with lots of US entertainment shows like 'Entertainment Tonight', 'The view', 'The Late Show', 'OMG Insider', so I only get to hear about/see the Grammy's 13 in little tiny pieces. (Yes I have You-Tube, but a slow connection!). I'm surprised about 'Gotye: Somebody I used to know'(I LOVE this song but read on!) winning an award for 'best song in 2013', this song was a huge hit song in early September 2011 in Oz- was there some great delay in its release in the US which may explain its belated award?!?

Someone said that their is a 'Rock/Hip-Hop Fusion' going on, is this true??? What bands/songs are doing this new fusion?? What do people think of this new fusion??

What were the highlights of the 2013 Grammys for you? (This will help me narrow my search when I try to watch parts of the Grammy's 2013 on You-Tube). Even if you don't like the Grammy's much, look on the bright side at least you have some big music broadcast to keep you in touch with the world of pop music, in Oz we have nothing!!!!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Feb 11, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 28, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions