Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Create 3 Beatles "Fantasy Singles" You Wish Had Been Released...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 44 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 8, 2013 6:22:15 PM PST
For example, three that I wish had been released include:

Michelle / Norwegian Wood
I Will / While My Guitar Gently Weeps
Here Comes The Sun / Octopuses' Garden

The latter would have been unusal in that neither John nor Paul appeared as lead on the A side or B side. Nonetheless, I have always thought it would have made a knockout single. To this day, "Here Comes The Sun" remains my favorite Beatles song and I still am astonished it was never released as a single.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 6:31:06 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Hey Bulldog / All Together Now

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 6:39:00 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
While My Guitar Gently Weeps / Dear Prudence

Some of my favorite bass playing on those two tracks

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 7:17:52 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
And
One After 909 / For You Blue

Another Girl / You're Gonna Lose That Girl

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 7:44:41 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 7:45:09 PM PST
In My Life / If I Needed Someone
Hey Bulldog / Across the Universe (Om Version)
Two of Us / I've Got a Feeling

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 2:10:47 AM PST
Dizzy Miss Lizzy / Bad boy - two Larry Williams rockers sung by John.
Match box/Honey dont - Two Carl Perkins songs sung by Ringo
A taste of Honey/Till there was you - Two show songs sung by Paul
Old brown show/Savoy Truffle - Two George favs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 4:12:19 AM PST
DKPete says:
R. Schroeder...GREAT bass playing on both of those, I agree.

Dee Zee...I remember just prior to the YS movie coming out in the U.S....77 WABC AM used to play Bulldog for a while as if it was a new...Beatlefan type memory: due to the song's wierd stereo mix (and any available mono version at the time being just a foldown), you could barely hear the vocals at all on the AM radio station...almost totally drowned out by the instrumental track...the only part, vocally, which came through was the, "you can talk to me".

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 4:14:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 4:14:58 AM PST
DKPete says:
Joseph, your pairings are very reminiscent of the Mexican E.P's that were out many, many years back; they each had an individualized theme based on lead vocals by each Beatle-but also stylistically.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2013 6:24:41 AM PST
Joe,
I would add
Money/Please Mr Postman
Too great covers that John sang lead.
John

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 6:43:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 9, 2013 6:43:40 AM PST
Good Day Sunshine/And Your Bird Can Sing

Or vice versa.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 8:57:32 AM PST
1) Soldier Of Love/I Just Don't Understand (The 2 best songs from Beatles at the beeb that should have been taken to the recording studio.
2) Leave My Kitten Alone/That Means Alot (around the same time frame, I believe Kitten was being considered for single for the aborted Sessions project.
3) How about a White album EP with each side representing a Beatle. You could have the full version of Paul's Take Me Back, George's great version of While My Guitar Gently Weeps that appears on the anthology, The fast version of Revolution with the doo-wop backround that was on video to represent John and an alternate version of Don't Pass Me By for Ringo.

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 12:09:51 PM PST
R. Schroeder says:
Baby You're a rich man/The Fool On The Hill

Posted on Feb 10, 2013 1:54:29 PM PST
The Word / Tomorrow Never Knows

Long, Long, Long / Dear Prudence

I'm Down / Leave My Kitten Alone

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 9:26:04 AM PST
Maxwell's Silver Hammer/ Revolution #9 - and you wonder how they stayed together as long as they did.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 9:34:28 AM PST
Helter Skelter / Revolution 9
Which could probably qualify them as an avant-metal band.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:09:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 10:11:45 AM PST
"Yesterday" and "Michelle" are the two most obvious A Sides that the Beatles never released as 45s. They were the two most extensively covered Beatles songs and, thus, were almost surefire number ones. I don't think you can say that about the other songs mentioned here.

"For You Blue" and "Baby You're a Rich Man", already mentioned above, were released as B Sides.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 10:47:14 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Tomorrow Never Knows/A Day in the Life...trip out time!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 11:11:57 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
Yesterday was issued as a single 45 in the US 1965.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 12:01:41 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Dee Zee, I guess it wasn't a double A side with "Act Naturally."

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 12:50:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 11, 2013 1:17:37 PM PST
zlh67 says:
Imagine
It Don't Come Easy
Maybe I'm Amazed
All Things Must Pass

I know this has been tackled in another thread, but there are some really great solo compositions that could have made great Beatles songs/singles if they'd just stepped back and taken a year or two off and then regrouped instead of ending it all (not that they aren't fine as is, but it would have been interesting to hear what the four of them would have done with these songs....).

These days it's very common for bands to have solo projects and/or be in other bands too but I guess back then and considering how big the Beatles were, it was all or nothing, which is of course a real bummer.

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:11:05 PM PST
MTK says:
Revolution #9/Her Majesty

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 1:27:13 PM PST
Dee Zee: I did not know that! How high did it chart?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 2:50:48 PM PST
Dee Zee says:
Robert, Yesterday was number 1 for 4 weeks in the Fall of 1965 according to Billboard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 11, 2013 3:07:11 PM PST
Laust Cawz says:
It wasn't necessarily all or nothing all the time. Remember, Christine McVie (Christine Perfect back then) was still in Chicken Shack when she began playing as a guest musician on Fleetwood Mac's early albums. This sort of thing was kinds rare back then, though, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 11:37:21 AM PST
zlh67 says:
"It wasn't necessarily all or nothing all the time."

---

Well, no, but for big bands it pretty much was, at least back then. The Beatles (I don't think) didn't feel like they could step away from that band and all do their own thing and then see if it was something they wanted to come back to like so many bands do today.

For them, you were either IN the Beatles or not, and once one of 'em decided they weren't, the whole thing crumbled pretty quickly. Would've been nice if John & Paul could've agreed "we need a break from each other and from this, so let's take a year or two..." but there was too much pressure to either do it or NOT do it, so they chose the latter and that were that....
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  44
Initial post:  Feb 8, 2013
Latest post:  Apr 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions