Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS
Customer Discussions > Music forum

The New My Bloody Valentine Album...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 41 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 5, 2013 1:44:53 AM PST
...is brilliant. I'm listening as I type this. It's every bit as astonishing as "Loveless". It's available through their website right now; it will be released to stores on the 22nd.

Has anyone else heard this yet? It was just released two days ago (apparently the demand was so great, the website server crashed within minutes of its offering). I just found out about it three hours ago, purchased immediately and am drowning in its shoegaze-y glory at this very moment.

This ain't no "Chinese Democracy"--this is the real deal, folks. The 21-year wait was worth it. Although the thought of waiting 21 years for their next album seems absolutely unbearable.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 3:35:34 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
Michael,
Thanks for posting this information. Don't know how it slipped under my radar that MBV had a new release. Anyway, I've ordered it off the website. After they were first announced it seemed to take forever for the remasters of the Creation stuff to finally come out. So, as far as waiting for the NEXT album is concerned it'd probably be best not to hold your breath!

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 4:12:47 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 4:15:51 AM PST
@onsenkuma: it slipped under your radar because Shields was coy about the release date. Back in November he said the album was completed, but wouldn't give a release date. The months slipped by, fans got despondent, and about a week ago a fan at a concert shouted "so when's the new album coming out, already?!" His reply was "in two or three days", and that's exactly what happened--no media announcement, nothing, just that one answer at the concert. The album was announced on their FB page on the 2nd and released on midnight of the 3rd. And yet somehow the ever-vigilant fans knew right away and managed to crash the server within minutes of its appearing on the new website. But since this has probably been the least-publicized major release I can think of, I thought I'd get the word out.

So far only one track on the album doesn't grab me much. The rest is just what you'd want to hear from MBV after all these years: lots of "Loveless Pt.2"--and just as good--mixed with some enticing new directions.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 6:05:27 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
Michael,
Thanks again. I look forward to hearing this...

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 6:57:10 AM PST
crater face says:
so it is getting a release outside the website? I really want the vinyl, but don't dig having to buy the CD,Download too to get it, $30 is a fair price for all, but I only want one format and the shipping cost was a tad high too...is it coming by a special analog mailing service...but thats my only gripe, so far it sounds pretty damn good.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 10:03:18 AM PST
S. Rice says:
Ordered the vinyl and downloaded the digital this morning.

I like what I hear so far, but I've always preferred Slowdive's style of shoegaze over MBV. Slowdive had a better sense of melody under all the effects. Their best songs stick with me in ways MBV never did. This album probably won't do anything to change that.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 3:35:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 3:49:16 PM PST
Out...Soon(?)

Never did illicit substances and alcohol
mix as well than at a MBV concert-

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 4:13:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 4:14:25 PM PST
@Thomas A.Corpino: you can purchase it through their website now (I paid $16 for the instant digital download), but it won't be in stores until the 22nd.

I've now played this thing at least six times over since last night. It's just SO addicting. I only wish it was longer. Hopefully there will be some b-sides or an extra EP somewhere or something, as with their earlier work.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 4:18:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 4:18:45 PM PST
I wish I liked them more. They really are unique. I've just never gotten into "Loveless" as much as everyone else. I do own it and like it, but it's not a favorite of mine or anything. I imagine I'll get the CD at some point, but I'm in no real hurry.

Posted on Feb 5, 2013 4:26:40 PM PST
@Rare Goat: no worries! There are some difference between this album and "Loveless" (the middle three songs ease up on the guitar layers, with a lighter pop feel and a big Stereolab influence), but if you're just so-so on the band, this one probably won't change your opinion too much. But if you like them on any level, you will want to get it eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 7:46:09 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Rare Goat:

I DO like them alot, including Loveless but I'll wait too. For me, it's always cheapness. Then again, with this one, I won't wait until it's THAT cheap. It might take years.....

ed.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 5:25:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 5:26:31 AM PST
I got my copy of "Loveless" out this morning and listened in the car. It really is a fine album. It really does work better at a moderate to high volume though. I think the last couple of times I heard it, I had it playing softly in the background, and when you do that, all you can really hear is the wobbly guitars being wobbly and going off pitch, which can be annoying. But that annoyance goes away once you have it a little louder and can feel the totality of it washing over you. Then the feeling you get is not so much seasick as it is pleasantly drowsy.

So while I may still not be a hardcore fan of the album, I do dig it a lot, and will most certainly buy the new one at some point.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 5:28:41 AM PST
Strange thing... I just saw that Loveless was released in November of 1991, but think I remember the first time I heard it was while I was in college. But I graduated in Spring of 1991. I guess I must have been back on campus after I graduated. I did that a lot my first year out.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 8:22:28 AM PST
I found out about the new release (finally!) 2 days ago and captured on a playlist via YouTube all 9 tracks of the work...it is excellent upon repeated listenings; certain tracks jump at you right away, while some others get better every time you hear them...a great album; hopefully will attract attention in the US market!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 8:36:10 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
@Rare Goat,
I've read your follow-up post so I know you've just given 'Loveless' a fresh listen. The album isn't to everyone's taste to be sure, but anyone curious and wanting to take the plunge should maybe check out the superb 'Tremelo' e.p. first. It was released prior to the album and gave indication of just how dense and druggy the sound of 'Loveless' would be. That layered sound was also present on 'Isn't Anything', but was taken out to the edge on 'Loveless'. Definitely music for honey glides 'n your favourite cool drink...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 1:18:18 PM PST
Good idea -- I've never heard the EPs, but supposedly they're quite essential too.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 1:22:30 PM PST
@Rare Goat: "Tremolo" is the most essential of the four or five that they made back then. It's basically just an extension of "Loveless". "Moon Song" is especially good on that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 1:41:38 PM PST
S. Rice says:
Shoegaze as a genre produced some great EPs... Thanks IMO to the influence of classic Jesus & Mary Chain & Cocteau Twins EP that proceeded them.

My Bloody Valentine - You Made Me Realise, Tremelo, Glider
Slowdive - Slowdive, Morningrise
Ride - Ride, Play, Fall
Lush - Scar
Pale Saints - Barging Into The Presence of God, Half-Life
Swervedriver - Son Of Mustang Ford, Never Lose That Feeling
Moose - Cool Breeze
A Place to Bury Strangers - Onwards To The Wall

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 2:38:03 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
@Rare Goat,
The EPs (plus some bonus/unreleased tracks) were collected last year on a 2xCD compilation (ep's 1988-1991). The original EPs are getting harder to find and can be pricey on eBay. This doesn't include any of the stuff on the pre-Creation 'Ecstasy and Strawberry Wine' compilation (long OOP), but they were a different sounding band then.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 2:47:59 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
@S.Rice,
Lush and Ride were two of my favourite bands in this genre. I've listened to fair amount of Ride lately but its about time I pull those Lush CDs off the shelf and give them another listen!

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 2:49:57 PM PST
I never liked Ride. Lush were pretty good, though. Slowdive were excellent, and for me were the second most important Shoegaze band outside of MBV. Still haven't gotten around to trying out any Chapterhouse, Swervedriver, Pale Saints, etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 4:30:27 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
@Michael,
For RIDE, try 'Going Blank Again'. The sole album from Chapterhouse got a re-release a couple of years back, but was VERY hard to find for a lot of years before that. Not bad in places....

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 4:39:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 4:40:07 PM PST
@onsekuma: "Going Blank Again" is the Ride album I've heard, based on rave recommendations from others. I hated it. I'll try the Chapterhouse, though.

Posted on Feb 7, 2013 4:55:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 5:08:09 PM PST
S. Rice says:
@Michael Topper - Chapterhouse actually released two albums, but you can skip their second album, Blood Music. `Pearl' was the "hit" from Whirlpool, but my favorite track was the Robin Guthrie produced `Something More'.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2013 5:43:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 7, 2013 5:44:04 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
@Michael,
It may not change your mind (hey, we like what we like and so on) but maybe give 'Carnival of Light' a listen. I wasn't aware that Chapterhouse recorded a second album (thanks S.Rice; you know your music!), but 'Whirlpool' wasn't all that far from Ride's sound. I prefer Lush over most of the main players anyway...something to do with Miki and Emma I think!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  41
Initial post:  Feb 5, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions