Anyone remember MC5?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 39 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 19, 2013 11:08:47 AM PST
D. Vicks says:
Kick Out The Jams:)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:32:57 AM PST
Aqualung says:
I like "High Time" especially the first 2 tracks.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:34:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:34:59 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
You mean the seminal band that released Kick Out the Jams; Back in the Usa; and High Time ?

No!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:53:58 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Feb 19, 2013 11:54:10 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 11:54:18 AM PST
Randy says:
"Kick Out The Jams, M-F-er!"

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 12:03:58 PM PST
Detroit in the sixties had to be one of the musically coolest places to ever exist. So many great bands, so much great music, the best crowds and an enduring musical legacy that followed.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 1:13:27 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
The 5 were one of the most ripped off bands of the 60s
Kramer & Smith set the bar high for dual guitar pyro technics for many bands to come.
RIP MC5....(that's not really possible)

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 3:35:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 19, 2013 3:35:26 PM PST
The Detroit scene produced just about the only driving hard rock coming out of the US between 1969-72 when so much American music was dominated by singer-songwriters, country-rock, roots-rock, Southern rock, and funk (although one could argue that funk was pretty hard rocking in its own way). MC5, The Stooges, Grand Funk, Alice Cooper, The Amboy Dukes, Frijid Pink, and Cactus were virtually America's only answer to the hard rock and heavy metal coming out of England at that time. Of these, I'm not a big fan of Grand Funk or Alice Cooper (although I do recognize their importance) but MC5 and The Stooges are legendary, The Amboy Dukes were Ted Nugent's only claim to quality, and Cactus were pretty good, too. Frijid Pink I haven't heard enough from, but I liked what I heard.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 9:01:28 PM PST
E. Dill says:
I am particularly fond of MC5's "Back in the USA". I never thought it got it's just due.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 11:10:50 PM PST
Love the MC5, didn't get into them until maybe 10 yrs ago, though I do remember reading an article about them in either Creem or Hit Parader back in the early 80's and always recall Tyner's fro and shades within the adjacent band photo! High Time is my favorite disc, followed by Back in the USA. Kick Out the Jams is good(some would say, Classic), but I feel High Time combines the raw feel of Jams while also taking a step up from the simplicities of USA. Unfortunately, they only had about 8 yrs of longevity and never quite hit it with the masses, which, to me, is one of rock's bigger disappointments...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 5:17:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 5:20:42 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Me too - compressed to hell (by Jon Landau I seem to recall) for that tinny sound , though.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:09:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 7:09:23 AM PST
Two Tub Man says:
If you haven't seen it already, try to check out the documentary "A True Testimonial", it's truly one of the best
rock-docs I've ever seen. The film played film festival circuits from 2002-2004, gathering several awards and
glowing reviews.

Too bad the movie's been in legal limbo for several years, and is unavailable (legally) at this time.

I found a DVD of the film several years ago, I've watched it at least a dozen times. It's been hung up due to
legal tussles between Wayne Kramer and the film makers, apparently over soundtrack rights for using the
MC5's music.

David C. Thomas & Laurel Legler, the director & producer, won the court battle with Kramer, and have been
trying, so far unsuccessfully, to get the funds together for a legitimate DVD release.

I'd gladly buy a legal DVD of the film to replace the copy of dubious parentage that I'm lucky have.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:24:46 AM PST
Thx for the info on that Two Tub...I was gonna mention that video..btw, is their alot of live performances? I picked up a dvd a few years back, which was backed by Creem and John Sinclair has a bit through it which is rather pointless...I think one of his children or possibly his ex-wife put their names on this to get it out, its a pretty shoddy put together ordeal. The film loops, though, interesting, do not match with the music, and it just reeks of ripoff. I got rid of my copy.

The biography Sonically Speaking is a decent/good read as is Guitar Army if one can get past the indulgences of Sinclair, which I'm kinda glad the 5 strayed away from after a certain point, he was doing them in with the overt political stance that, in a way, got them blacklisted. Too bad it was too little, too late...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:07:23 AM PST
Two Tub Man says:
Thirty,
There are lots of live performances (though some are just snippets). The KOTJ video is in there (play it on
a slower speed), but the best is b & w footage from a gig @ Tartar Field at Wayne State University in 1970,
YOW!!!!!. It's posted by a few people on YouTube (Ramblin' Rose/KOTJ/Looking At You)
There's also some truly pitiful footage of a late TV gig in the UK, just Kramer & Sonic, with two hacks on bass
& drums. The heroin's obviously kicked in, and Brother Wayne's slugging from a pint of something. Sad.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:39:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 9:41:11 AM PST
The Detroit scene also produced three black
proto-punkers called Death.
The Hackney brothers were IT.

Wayne Kramer still can play with the best of 'em.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:08:46 PM PST
D. Vicks says:
MC5=Motor City 5 ?

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 12:56:20 PM PST
Randy says:
RE: MC5=Motor City 5 ?
~~~~~~~~~~

Yep.

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:45:08 PM PST
Comment Man says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 9:18:45 PM PST
Which album did you purchase? And, not for nothin', but Iggy was partially inspired by the MC5 and formed the Stooges as a result of the association with John Sinclair and managed to land gigs with the 5, thus broadening their appeal and eventual signing to Elektra.

What's your stance on the New York Dolls? And I'm talking about the original Dolls(71-75) not the Johansen/Sylvain latter day Revue...

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 11:13:03 AM PST
EvenSteven says:
ED....good call on "back In the USA"....that is my favorite among the 5's trilogy at least song writting wise. Landau's production is thin in contrast to "Kick" & "High Time".
"USA" was noteworthy in that it pointed to where music was (Tuti-fruiti & the title) & to where it was going - Ramones & much of the bowery scene mid 70s onward to UK punk as well. But, even more mainstream rockers like Areosmith, Mott, right up to Black Crowes owe a huge debt to the MC5. They truly were thee proto punk/metal band bar none.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 4:30:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 22, 2013 4:42:36 PM PST
Iggy Pop withOUT the fashion sense?

Iggy - Barechested, jeans

MC5 - Bell bottoms, platform boots, wide-
lapeled sport jackets, qiana shirts, silk scarves.
And GREAT hair-

I'm confused by the comment, man...

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 9:52:48 AM PST
man what a band "kick out the jams" to much

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 11:47:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 23, 2013 11:50:00 AM PST
One of the all-time greatest bands, and a band that broke-up way too soon. They could rock like a mother. The crazed-out, jazz horn climax to "Skunk (Sonically Speaking)" from the 'High Time' album is wild. Wayne Kramer and Fred Smith were an incredible guitar duo. Not to mention the late Rob Tyner's gusto vocals. Their politics were radical - they got along quite well with the Black Panther party of the late '60's and actually wanted to form a White Panther party to go along with them. If it wasn't for drugs and egos (like so many other groups), the band could have easily survived the '70's and put out more great music. They also have a well deserved reputation for being one of the all-time great live bands. They only made three "official" albums, but man...what a trio of work !

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:42:30 PM PST
Comment Man says:
I was being sarcastic about Iggy's fashion sense. Come on~ I had a live Album by MC5--it had kick out the jams. Sorry, just wasn't impressed. Then again hated the Dolls and could only stand about 1/4 of Iggy's stuff.
And for the record I just don't care for Alex Chilton that much.
Maybe it wasn't the right historical moment or some such thing, but all that stuff that passes as proto-punk leaves me cold--and I love the Ramones, the Pistols, the Clash and tons of the early punk stuff--only to fall off the wagon again with early indie rock--and jump back on again with Pavement and Guided by Voices.
I can't really explain it.
By the way its nice to see a discussion on Amazon's music forum that is NOT about the Beatles or other 60s bands. That is so boring.

Posted on Feb 23, 2013 2:47:20 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  39
Initial post:  Feb 19, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions