Customer Discussions > Music forum

Sounds like 'The Beach Boys'

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 100 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 14, 2010 9:31:53 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
Your listening to a group or soloist, And say Huh?, That sounds like The Beach Boys. You may later find out Brian Wilson was sitting in, Like Chicago's- Wishing You Were Here, Or Linda Ronstadt's album- Cry Like A Rainstorm. It could be Eric Carmen's-Sunrise or to a certain extent The Association's-We Love. If you know of some Beach Boy type, Little Gems, Please list them here.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 3:25:22 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2010 3:52:03 PM PST
Hi, CONAN the Middleton!
Happy Holidays!
Just to get the ball (rockin' and) rollin', how about
First Class--Beach Baby?
Also, there's a fellow in the UK named Tony Rivers
who went through a whole 'Beach Boys soundalike Phase'
in the mid-'60's, before he became more of an easy-listening
artist. I think he had a backing band called the Castaways [No,
not that one.] I'll post more Beach Boy-ish stuff when I think of them.
'Bye for Now. Seasons Greetings. Pat.
P.S. Also, the Rip Chords 'Hey, Little Cobra'
and the Sunrays have some BB-ish stuff. 'Bye.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 5:42:16 PM PST
Roger says:
I've always thought Jan & Dean sounded much like The Beach Boys.

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 7:30:31 PM PST
The Beach Boys gave Jan and Dean some of their hit records.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 7:36:44 PM PST
beatles-back in the ussr
raspberries- crusin' music
- hangin' around
jay ferguson- thunder island
the zombies- odessey & oracle cd

Posted on Dec 14, 2010 7:54:45 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
What little I've heard of the power-pop group The Wondermints, I've been impressed by their Beach Boys-style harmonies on tracks like "Proto-Pretty" and "Carnival Of Souls." I can see why they ended up getting to work with Brian Wilson (as his touring band and on albums like SMiLE)! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 14, 2010 7:55:06 PM PST
"Blomljud" by Moon Safari has harmonies of Beach Boys-quality with lengthy songs that remind me of Camel "Snow Goose" or Yes "Close to the Edge." I can't for the life of me figure out why this album isn't better known by both old and new progheads.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 12:04:44 AM PST
I always thought that the song "Go All the Way" by the Raspberries was the most perfect combination of the Beatles, the Beach Boys and the Who all in one song that any band has yet to better. How Eric Carmen could go from the great music he made with that band to the Barry Manilow-style schmaltz that makes up most of his solo output continues to perplex me.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 2:33:09 AM PST
unicorn81 says:
New York's a Lonely Town- The Tradewinds
I Live For the Sun- Sunrays
When those two songs came out in the '60s everyone thought it was the Beach Boys!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2010 8:31:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2010 8:35:33 AM PST
"Summer '68" by Pink Floyd has a very Beach Boys-sounding middle section. It was written by the late Richard Wright.

Good call on the First Class song, Patrick - - pretty cool song, all right.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 9:16:21 AM PST
KING CONAN says:
I "REALLY" appreciate what you guys are posting, Ya really got me runnin around, Trying to find (sample) the ones I'm not familiar with. Thanks !!!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 9:21:25 AM PST
Chen Kai Wen says:
"Holiday Road" by Lindsey Buckingham

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 9:30:30 AM PST
CD Lover says:
The first forty seconds or so of Everclear's "So Much For The Afterglow"

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 11:31:15 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Some more Beach Boys-esque songs:

"Weird Al" Yankovic -- "Trigger Happy" (a style parody of early BB tunes like "Catch A Wave" and "Fun Fun Fun") and "Pancreas" (a style parody of Pet Sounds/Smiley Smile-era BB and of Brian Wilson's SMiLE project)

Mary Chapin Carpenter -- "Maybe World" (from 2001's Time*Sex*Love*)

Fountains Of Wayne -- "This Better Be Good" (from 2007's Traffic & Weather)

Kirsty MacColl -- heavily influenced by Pet Sounds/"Good Vibrations"-era BB, she often used painstaking vocal-layering techniques to achieve the same sort of harmonies with own voice on tracks like "See That Girl" and her faithful cover of "You Still Believe In Me"

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 1:36:05 PM PST
Daddy Shark says:
Several songs on the Rubber Bullets album by 10CC put me in mind of the BB'z. I grew up on the coast in California but was never a big fan but now when I hear their early stuff I groove along.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 1:43:06 PM PST
Early Beach Boys-Jan and Dean
Beach Boys Pet Sounds- Many
I'm not a huge Beach Boy fan but I love Pet Sounds. The start of what would later be known as Progressive Rock. Even early Pink Floyds songs in the Syd Barrett era are loaded with Beach Boy influences. Whats strange is much of it is the early Beach Boy sound. Check out Bike,See Emily Play,Arnold Layne,Apples and Oranges,Paintbox,and many more. The Beatles did Sgt.Peppers which was influenced by Pet Sounds and 1967 was full of Progressive Rock bands in the begining stages. Moody Blues changed their sound completely for the better. The best progressive rock came after 1967 but you have to give Pet Sounds credit. Great album and you have to thank Brian Wilson for it!

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 2:05:52 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
Many tried....countless surf/hot rodders produced by either Gary Usher or Terry Melcher who later went onto to produce Byrds "Notorious"
Also check out Bruce Johnston's pre beach boy group called Sagitarius which sounds shockingly close to the Pet sounds era B/boys...I think thier single was "My World Fell Down" which is rightfully inc on the Nuggets 1 set...(no wonder they used him as Brians replacement).

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 2:11:46 PM PST
Thanks, Mark!
Happy Holidays! Pat.

Posted on Dec 15, 2010 3:54:30 PM PST
Chazzzbo says:
Dave Edmunds produced all his tracks for the "Porky's Revenge" soundtrack as a tribute to the BBs (even covering "Do You Wanna Dance") - well worth a listen. He also later had a track on his "Plugged In" album called "Beach Boys Blood (in my veins)" that's pretty sweet.

Freddie Mercury did a great cover of "I Can Hear Music" that blows me away.

Anyone else ever heard the story (not sure of its veracity) that the BBs were offered "Beach Baby" initially and turned it down because they were looking to distance themselves from that genre at the time (early 70s)?

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 12:53:14 PM PST
B. Good says:
The intro to "Whenever I Call You Friend" by Kenny Loggins & Stevie Nicks.
Daytime Nightime Suffering - Wings
Back in the USSR - Beatles was a homage to the Beach People

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 1:09:59 PM PST
EvenSteven says:
Yo Chazz, that reminds me of a "1 off" track produced & performed by Dave Edmonds called "NY is a Lonely Town" which is an obscure cover that features Brian Wilson on background vcls....the production is very "spectorish" inc sleigh bells @ all....great track...I think the orig is by the "tradewinds"???

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 2:49:04 PM PST
A couple off the top of my head.... when I was younger I can remember thinking the first time I heard the Ramones debut album, they remind me of the Beach Boys for some reason, but they sure don't sound like them...but as I delved deeper into their catalog....I definitely get it now. Newer bands that give me the Beach Boys vibe: "Veckatimest" by Grizzly Bear and "Seratonin" by Mystery Jets .....when I hear those 2 albums I always want to follow it up with some Beach Boys stuff....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 2:51:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2010 2:56:28 PM PST
strumminjay says:
You MUST give a listen to "Pale And Precious" by the Dukes of Stratosphear (aka XTC) !!! A spot-on tribute to the Beach Boys!

You can get a sample here:

Chips From the Chocolate Fireball

or listen to the whole thing here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRcXWGLummo

Posted on Dec 16, 2010 4:07:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2010 4:13:25 PM PST
sml17 says:
Here are seven songs that no one has yet mentioned:

B.J. Thomas' "Rock & Roll Lullaby", from around 1970,
David Lee Roth's 1985 cover of "California Girls"
and Carnie & Wendy Wilson's 1990s holiday hit "Hey Santa", both of which have Carl Wilson on it,
Brian Setzer Orchestra's recent cover of "Little Deuce Coupe" with Brian dueting,
an obscure cover of "Fun Fun Fun" by The Status Quo that has the Beach Boys guesting on it,
and Elton John's 1974 hit "Don't Let The Sun Go Down", which also featured some of the Beach Boys -- Bruce Johnston and Carl Wilson for sure, and possibly Al Jardine, Rikki Fataar, and Mike Love.

From what I know, the "Rock & Roll Lullaby" session was to feature Beach Boy Brian Wilson (if not the others), but he failed to make the gig. Either Thomas himself or his producer were able to get some session singers to replicate what was supposed to be the Beach Boys' sound on that recording. In fact, B.J. Thomas' remake of the song from around 1990 also sounds quite like it has the Beach Boys on it.

I first heard that song the same time I heard Linda Ronstadt's "Adios", which obviously has Brian Wilson on it doing, according to the documentary "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", his signature "stacked vocal harmonies...in tight clusters". And when I heard "Rock & Roll Lullaby", I went nuts, believing for a long time that it WAS Brian and/or The Beach Boys.

Also, the theme song for the 1965 movie "The Monkey's Uncle", which is sung by Annette Funicello and written by the Sherman Brothers, has the unmistakable Brian Wilson production, arrangement, and vocal stamp on it. The Beach Boys lip synch it with Annette in the movie, over the opening credits, but my information is murky on whether the vocalists are the whole band or just Brian Wilson overdubbing himself (like he later did on parts of Pet Sounds). Certainly the musicians were the Wrecking Crew.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2010 7:14:22 PM PST
The Explorers Club- "Forever"(not the BB's "Forever, though)
"Shannon" by Henry Gross
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
The Music Of Our Lives 6515 35 seconds ago
Top Artists on iPod Device? 31 4 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 4064 30 minutes ago
Song Game...10 songs where.... 4839 39 minutes ago
Your Ten Favorite Albums Of The 2000s 54 53 minutes ago
What were the Last Five CD's You Purchased...(Be Honest). 4447 59 minutes ago
Short but impactful careers in music 31 1 hour ago
Musical Mt. Rushmore 42 1 hour ago
Favorite 2014 Albums? 175 6 hours ago
Long Careers in Music 46 6 hours ago
Favourite Female Artists 1715 7 hours ago
Christmas Playlists! 30 7 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  66
Total posts:  100
Initial post:  Dec 14, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 7, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions