Customer Discussions > Music forum

Non-Novelty Silly or Funny Songs from The 70's

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 8:00:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2012 10:38:49 AM PST
D. Hinson says:
Hi. I'm looking to compile a list of songs THAT WERE IN ROTATION ON THE RADIO in the 70's that had silly, or funny lyrics. Songs like "Get Down" by Gilbert O'Sullivan or "Jam Up and Jelly Tight" by Tommy Roe, but NOT songs like "Mr. Jaws" and "Convoy" which are pretty obviously intended to be silly. It's for a music project I'm working on. For my project, I'm looking for radio songs, or songs that would be well known by the public--NOT obscure songs or album tracks that were never released as singles. Thanks in advance to everyone who decides to participate. Have fun with it--cheers! (*;

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:03:59 AM PST
Severin says:
There's 'No No Song' by Ringo Starr.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:06:14 AM PST
Severin says:
And there's 'Mama Told Me (Not To Come)' by Three Dog Night.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:11:04 AM PST
You could try noxious easy listening disco versions, like Johnny Mathis's disco version of the Cole Porter classic, "Begin the Beguine." I'd also recommend Ray Conniff's disco theme classics, like the Lp RAY CONNIFF PLAYS THE BEE GEES, or the Ray Conniff version of "I Will Survive." Also, Robert Goulet did a disco theme Lp, CLOSE TO YOU, on Applause Records.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:16:29 AM PST
Severin says:
XTC had 'Statue of Liberty' and 'Science Friction' on their debut album "White Music".

I find a lot of Alice Cooper funny as well, 'I'm Eighteen,' 'Dead Babies,' 'School's Out,' 'I Love the Dead,' 'The Black Widow' and 'Give the Kid A Break' are enough to get you started.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:22:56 AM PST
"Escape" (The Pina Colada Song) - Rupert Holmes
"You Gave Me The Answer" - McCartney & Wings
"In The Summertime" - Mungo Jerry
"Tie A Yellow Ribbon" - Tony Orlando & Dawn
"Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes" - Edison Lighthouse
"Signs" - Five Man Electrical Band
"Muskrat Love" - Captain & Tenille
"Dead Skunk" - Loudon Wainwright
"Gimme Dat Ding" - Pipkins
"Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" - Fifth Eastate
"Bomb Iran" - Vince Vance & The Valiants
"If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body (Would You Hold It Against Me?)" - Bellamy Brothers (A country song built around an old Groucho Marx line.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:26:49 AM PST
Severin says:
I don't think 'You Gave Me the Answer' is meant to be funny, it's another throwback song like 'Your Mother Should Know' and 'Honey Pie.' I'd suggest 'Magneto and Titanium Man' from the same Wings album though.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:33:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 9:33:47 AM PST
tmoore says:
The Fifth Estate song "Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead" is from 1967, not the '70s.

Depending on the state of mind you're in - "Let Your Love Flow" by the Bellamy Brothers could be viewed as silly in a sensual way (literal interpretation) or very religious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:36:21 AM PST
Don,

You're right. I may not have exactly understood the criteria.

A couple of songs I mentioned may be considered "novelty songs" as well.
I was thinking along the lines of "Novelty Songs" that may not have been *Intended* as novelty songs or something like that.

You mentioned Alice Cooper. I would have included "Elected" - particularly timely right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 9:39:10 AM PST
tmoore,

You're right. "Gimme Dat Ding" led me automatically to "Ding Dong the Witch Is Dead" and I forgot about the year.
It's probably too much of a "novelty song" anyway.

Thanks.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:42:22 AM PST
How about Nilsson - "Joy" or "You're Breaking My Heart"

Are those more On Point?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 9:54:17 AM PST
"On The Cover of Rolling Stone" - Dr. Hook

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:09:20 AM PST
Walter Five says:
The Pipkins and Edison's Lighthouse were both UK Studio Musician Tony Burrows. From Wikipedia: Burrows sang the lead vocals on several one-hit songs under different group names, Edison Lighthouse's "Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" (February 1970); White Plains' "My Baby Loves Lovin'" (March 1970); The Pipkins' novelty song "Gimme Dat Ding" (April 1970); and The First Class' "Beach Baby" (July 1974). He also sang lead vocals on The Brotherhood of Man's "United We Stand", which reached #10 on the UK charts and also reached #13 in the U.S.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:40:24 AM PST
Severin says:
Or Nilsson's 'Coconut' or 'Daybreak' or 'Jump Into the Fire.'

'Twisted' from Joni Mitchell's "Court And Spark" album.

And pretty much anything by The Ramons, 'Blitzkrieg Bop,' 'Beat On the Brat,' 'Now I Wanna Sniff Some Glue,' 'Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment,' 'Pinhead,' 'Cretin Hop,' 'Teenage Lobotomy,' ' We're A Happy Family,' 'Needles And Pins' and 'I Wanna Be Sedated.'

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:55:11 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Listen to some Zappa!
He has a ton of um'.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 10:56:56 AM PST
D. Hinson says:
Thanks, but those wouldn't be well known. (:

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:58:45 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Some of them are...Camarillo Brillo, Dinah Moe Humm, Yellow Snow.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:00:42 AM PST
D. Hinson says:
I'm looking for songs one might have heard on the radio, for example.

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:07:15 AM PST
Randy says:
"My Ding-A-Ling" by Chuck Berry

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:08:15 AM PST
Randy says:
"Muskrat Love" by Captain & Tennile

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:09:38 AM PST
Randy says:
"Short People" by Randy Newman

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:10:30 AM PST
Randy says:
"Kung Fu Fighting" by Carl Douglas

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:12:07 AM PST
Randy says:
"Ain't Gonna Bump No More With No Big Fat Woman" by Joe Tex

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 12:23:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:40:36 PM PST
Kacee says:
The Bump - Kenny
Just One More Night - Yellow Dog
Dr Kiss Kiss - 5000 Volts

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:20:26 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
Every Shel Silverstein song of the 1970's was a hilarious hit. He wrote many of your favorite songs, whether you know it now or not.

from Wikipedia:
Silverstein's passion for music was clear early on as he studied briefly at Chicago College of Performing Arts at Roosevelt University. His musical output included a large catalog of songs; a number of which were hits for other artists, most notably the rock group Dr. Hook & The Medicine Show.[7] He wrote Tompall Glaser's highest-charting solo single "Put Another Log on the Fire", "One's on the Way" (a hit for Loretta Lynn), "The Unicorn" (which became the signature piece for the Irish Rovers in 1968) and "25 Minutes to Go", sung by Johnny Cash, about a man on Death Row with each line counting down one minute closer. Silverstein also wrote one of Johnny Cash's best known whimsical hits, "A Boy Named Sue." Other songs co-written by Silverstein include "the Taker" by Waylon Jennings and "On Susan's Floor" by Gordon Lightfoot.

He wrote the lyrics and music for most of the Dr. Hook songs, including "The Cover of the Rolling Stone", "Freakin' at the Freakers' Ball," "Sylvia's Mother", "The Things I Didn't Say" and a cautionary song about venereal disease, "Don't Give a Dose to the One You Love Most".[7] He wrote many of the songs performed by Bobby Bare, including "Rosalie's Good Eats Café", "The Mermaid", "The Winner", "Warm and Free" and "Tequila Sheila". He co-wrote with Baxter Taylor "Marie Laveau", for which the songwriters received a 1975 BMI Award. "The Mermaid" was covered in 2005 by Great Big Sea, which released its version on The Hard and the Easy album.

Silverstein's "The Ballad of Lucy Jordan", first recorded by Dr. Hook in 1975, was re-recorded by Marianne Faithfull (1979), Belinda Carlisle (1996), and Bobby Bare (2005) and later featured in the films Montenegro and Thelma & Louise. "Queen of the Silver Dollar" was first recorded by Dr. Hook on their 1972 album Sloppy Seconds, and later by Doyle Holly (on his 1973 album Doyle Holly), Barbi Benton (on her 1974 album Barbi Doll), Emmylou Harris (on her 1975 album Pieces of the Sky) and Dave & Sugar (on their 1976 album Dave & Sugar).

Silverstein composed original music for several films and displayed a musical versatility in these projects, playing guitar, piano, saxophone and trombone. He wrote "In the Hills of Shiloh", a poignant song about the aftermath of the Civil War, which was recorded by The New Christy Minstrels, Judy Collins, Bobby Bare and others. The soundtrack of the 1970 film Ned Kelly features Silverstein songs performed by Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson and others.[6]

Silverstein had a popular following on Dr. Demento's radio show. Among his best-known comedy songs were "Sarah Cynthia Sylvia Stout (Would Not Take The Garbage Out)", "The Smoke-Off" (a tale of a contest to determine who could roll-or smoke-marijuana joints faster), "I Got Stoned and I Missed It" and "Bury Me in My Shades". He wrote "The Father of a Boy Named Sue", in which he tells the story from the original song from the father's point of view, and the 1962 song "Boa Constrictor", sung by a man who is being swallowed by a snake (recorded by the folk group Peter, Paul, and Mary) although it is now better known as a children's playground chant.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 20, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions