Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rush To Finally Be Inducted!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 11, 2012 7:36:02 PM PST
Working Man says:
Rush To Finally Be Inducted!

It's official; Rush will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2013. They will join Public Enemy, Heart, Randy Newman, Albert King, and Donna Summer. Lou Adler and Quincy Jones will both receive the Ahmet Ertegun Award for non-performers. The ceremony will be held on April 18 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles, CA.

Posted on Dec 11, 2012 9:22:18 PM PST
Cool Working Man. Should be a fun ceremony. Really enjoyable. Rock on Rush!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 12:31:06 AM PST
Hinch says:
I'm not a fan of Rush but congrats to Rush anyway. I'm happy to see Albert King inducted.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 6:20:19 AM PST
Limbaugh's been drafted??? Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 7:55:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 8:15:16 AM PST
vivazappa says:
My take on the winners:
Newman...Good call that actually surprises me.
RUSH..F'N EH!!!!!
Albert King...What took so long.
Heart...Gotta have a band fronted by chicks in there...we real rockers are victims in this pick for women's rights.
Donna Summer??? It's because she is dead.
Public Enema...Well if a cRAP act had to make it in I'm glad they are it...now let's keep it that way.
Lou Adler...GREAT BUT ONLY BECAUSE HE PRODUCED CHEECH AND CHONG!!!
Quincy Jones...I'm surprised he wasn't in already.

Jam at the end of the ceremony:
Newman-"Political Science" w/Ted Nugent.
RUSH-"The Enemy Within"-Newman remains on stage and plays piano.
King-Some tune with the word "Mojo" in it other than L.A. Woman w/Jeff Healey on slide since it would be uber-liberal to have a dead blind guy on the bill.
Heart-"Dreamboat Annie" w/Jello Biafra and Henry Rollins.
Donna Summer-"She Works Hard for the Money" w/Jackson Browne, Bono and Sting since they show up every year.
Public Enemy-"Fight the Power" w/Lisa Marie Presley and Tito Jackson.
Lou Adler-"Dave" w/Cheech and Chong and Bruuuce doing harmony vocals on the "Dave's not here!" line.

As he always does at this point Bruuuce decides to just take over the rest of the show doing "We Take CUR of Our Own" (accapella)..."Cadillac Ranch" (acoustic)..."Two Tickets to Paradise" (featuring Eddie Money and the two Geico guys)...and "Mary Queen of Arkansas" (electric solo version because no other musician in the place knows that song.)

Finale: The entire "Thriller" album is played by Paul Schaffer's band w/Axl Rose doing the Vincent Price part...Bono and Sting do the vocals since they always come out for the finale...Jackson Browne misses it because he is beating up Daryl Hannah in the foyer...Eddie Van Halen guests on guitar for "Beat It"...Bruuuce is still on stage and since the guy won't leave someone unfortunately gives him a harmonica...all while Quincy Jones smiles from the back row.

WTF happened to Deep Purple???
We have to vote more next year to override Jann and the other numbskulls who vote!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 8:23:09 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
And then Prince, thinking it's a reinduction of George Harrison, comes out to play "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," not realizing that most of the licks have been played before -- and better -- by Albert King himself. Quincy still smiles, perhaps thinking about reruns of "Mod Squad."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 9:12:34 AM PST
CD Lover says:
As with you, Hinch, I'm not a Rush fan either, but as I mentioned on "The Yessongs Game" thread - kudos to Alex Lifeson for being so gracious and saying he felt Rush probably should have been inducted after other prog bands such as Yes and King Crimson. People can agree to disagree about that, but the fact that Lifeson recognized other prominent prog bands after his band was inducted is very big of him. Congratulations to Rush and Lifeson for their induction.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:17:37 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
vivazappa - awesome! Still LMFAO!!

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 9:22:00 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
"Bruuuuuuce is still on stage and since the guy won't leave someone unfortunately gives him a harmonica"

Still LMFAO!!

You ought to write for Conan.......or better yet, Chris Rock. Right now I'm re-reading your post while sounding out Chris Rock's tone and delivery......and I'm laughing yet again. You just have to add in some "MFs" "N***rs" and "crackers".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 10:29:03 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 10:29:41 AM PST
Micaloneus says:
vivazappa says: WTF happened to Deep Purple???

Geddy Lee from Rush:
"...there were other groups like Deep Purple and Procol Harum, who I respect greatly and I assumed would be voted in as well.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 11:47:59 AM PST
How did Rush not beat Public Enemy and Donna Summer to the finish line? Are we at war with Canada?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 12:13:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 12, 2012 12:14:21 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
LOL, funny you should mention that since Heart is ALSO Canadian!

But The Band have been in since 1994, and Neil Young since 1995. So I don't think this as yet qualifies as a conspiracy of some sorts.

Posted on Dec 12, 2012 1:30:57 PM PST
K. Carter says:
I think most of us around here are in agreement regarding the HOF - I mean, Madonna is in before Heart? Run-DMC before Rush? And such seminal bands as Yes and Deep Purple STILL aren't in? Rush should have been inducted eons ago. To borrow a phrase from MNF - C'mon Man!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:43:51 AM PST
Hinch says:
I saw Albert King in 70s in a small auditorium at Vanderbilt University. I still remember it as one of the best blues performances I've ever seen.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 13, 2012 12:55:57 AM PST
Wow, Hinch. You are a lucky dude. Albert did it all with bending. He'd bend the string passed the note to the next one without moving positions. Just a real emotional way to play. When you hear him you know it's him, no doubt about it. And it's cool he got that second life in the late 60's with the hippy crowd and just flew with it. Some of the greatest live albums ever are from that time. Albert rocks!!!

Posted on Dec 13, 2012 1:37:04 AM PST
Hinch says:
Anthony

It's a good memory. Albert was a great guitar player.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 5:37:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 5:53:49 PM PST
Ian Hunter recalled a run of gigs held in San Francisco when his band Mott The Hoople was second billed to Albert King (and Freddie King opened) as a very strange bill. In Ian's words: "Mott The Hoople had a couple albums already out in the US but were still not well known outside of England at that time and you could imagine our horror to be billed between Albert and Freddie King - two blues greats in San Francisco. It was fun to meet the two blues legends but the audience was there to see Albert and Freddie and didn't know just what to make of us as Mott doesn't have a blues-bone in it's entire body!"

Fillmore Auditorium, San Francisco, Ca. June 3-6, 1971

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 15, 2012 9:54:04 PM PST
Hinch says:
I'm not sure, but I keep thinking Freddie King was the opener when I saw Albert.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 1:22:54 AM PST
Freakin' cool bill man!!! Love those generation jumping bills. And the crowds dug it. Cool stuff.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:43:38 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 9:44:14 AM PST
In 1969 The Woody Herman Band opened for The Who at the Fillmore West and it couldn't get stranger than that as the 1940's and the 1960's are glooped together into a musicial gumbo...
Bill Graham, liked mixing it up!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 2:23:42 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 2:24:25 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
Philip,
If you ever have the time, pick up Graham's biography 'Bill Graham Presents'. Whatever people may have thought of his abrasive personality he was THE most innovative promoter of his time and, as you've pointed out loved to mix it up. Basically, he loved latin music (one reason why he championed Santana) and jazz. His concert line-ups featuring Miles Davis' late '60s line ups and various San Francisco bands probably did a lot to 'prepare' rock audiences for the jazz-rock fusion movement of the '70s.

BTW when I first saw this thread I thought for a split second that it said 'Rush Finally INDICTED'. I always thought that Geddy Lee's munchkin-on-helium wail detracted from Rush's sound, but surely it's not CRIMINALLY bad, is it? Cheers...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:07:01 PM PST
ravager814 says:
Heart is from Seattle. Ann and Nancy Wilson were U.S. Marine brats.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 3:11:38 PM PST
Severin says:
I read that book a while ago, lots of good stories. The one I remember most concerned Hendrix. Jimi had played a great set but Bill told him the audience may not know the difference but we both know you can play better without the stunts, playing the guitar behind his back and with his teeth. For the second set he didn't do any of those theatrics and did play better.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:01:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 16, 2012 4:32:52 PM PST
onsenkuma ~

We used to get in line outside at the side of Winterland in the afternoon and at near or about's 6:30 PM they would open the front doors and in we went. Near the rear of the floor there was a volleyball set up and people could play. We would find a spot down front and hold our ground.

At one show it was just as I explain above and we were doing stupid stuff in our spot right in front of the stage about an hour prior to showtime and I hear this shout from the stage: "Hey you dummies over there, calm down or I'm tossing you outta here!"
I look up an it's Uncle Bobo himself yelling at us and I wondered what mystery rule we broke to piss off Bill. Well, we are standing there like dolts with our mouths open and he breaks into a big smile and says: "Have a good show kids" and it was typical Bill as he was messing with us. I have seen Bill at shows before and after that but, that is exactly the way I like to remember him as he cared for the acts and he really liked us knuckleheads out in the crowd as well. When you were inside Winterland you were in Bill's house and it was a very cool place.

I read his book and I thought it was really great.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 16, 2012 4:22:44 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
Philip,
What a great story!
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Lyrically Speaking: Bob Dylan or The Beatles Who Were More Profound Song Writer's? In The 1960's 33 12 minutes ago
More Mac : More Christine vs Stevie - What Is The "Signature Song" For Each? 49 15 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1859 37 minutes ago
Pork and the Havana Ducks 113 47 minutes ago
Is There Anything You'd Give Up Your Music Collection For? 11 47 minutes ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 3237 1 hour ago
Stevie Winwood was big in my high school years (any favorite albums or songs) 36 1 hour ago
Women In Rock 11 2 hours ago
Bulletin Board ---- What's in the news? 95 2 hours ago
A Taste of 2014... 581 2 hours ago
What about the 1980's? The Big 80's Revisited...Reagonomics ..Where's the Beef!! 172 2 hours ago
DJ Live Nightclub Top 40 Advice Needed 4 3 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  19
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Dec 11, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions