Customer Discussions > Music forum

cream vs. jimi hendrix experience

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 356 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2009 8:58:30 PM PDT
who's better?

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 9:01:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2009 8:40:15 AM PDT
There's absolutely no comparison in my book!
Both were equally incredible in their own right.

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 9:15:59 PM PDT
Jeffrey,

I want to first off say I love them both.

Clapton has always been one of my favorite musicians of all-time but hands down nobody can play the guitar like Jimi.

For me it will always be Jimi and then whoever wants to compete for the #2 spot.

I little sample to wet the appetite of anyone who cares to listen.

"Born Under A Bad Sign" - Jimi Hendrix
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8vL2RQ_ZJM

"Born Under A Bad Sign" - Cream (at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RECUlpVPzN4&feature=PlayList&p=F43D032C77ABA107&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=23

Both versions would make Albert King proud.

JT

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2009 9:16:39 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 3:43:27 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 11, 2009 10:30:22 PM PDT
no question, Hendrix hands down. Jimi was pure ferocity on a maple neck and he played so smoothly and fast. In my book if you can keep up with the greatest guitar player the world has seen so far, then you are an amazing bass player or drummer as well.

Jimi is the reason we have most of the styles and techniques of rock music out here now. And im sorry to say, but who does most every guitar players want to play/perform like? Not Clapton (who is very talented as well), Not Jimmy Page (who i think is over-rated). Everybody wants to wail like Hendrix.

Posted on Oct 12, 2009 1:14:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 12, 2009 1:48:30 PM PDT
Godfather says:
Jeffrey...Fantastic talents both...Cream also had a great drummer and the vocals of Bruce..when you are comparing the "other" band members...And of course, Ec is a guitar legend....I too loved Cream..But, there is only one "Master of the Stratocaster"....Jimi alone takes the "Experience" to the top, as they say "Noel was Noel"...and Mitch was very, very underrated on skins... check out that "Master Of The Stratocaster" post, there are some wonderful insights.......GF

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:39:23 AM PDT
Cream ~ better songs
Experience ~ better guitar player
Cream ~ better bass player
Cream ~ better drummer
Cream ~ smarter drug addicts

Cream wins

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:47:39 AM PDT
Wow, what a superb question ? I loved them both.

A few observations to spur fireworks

I think both groups went downhill and quite fast.
I still think the first Experience release in the US was awesomely different but so too with Fresh Cream !

Hendrix the better guitar. Jack Bruce the better Bass and tie for drums.

Wasn't Blind Faith a bust !! Darn.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:50:16 AM PDT
Kevin Gordon says:
Not sure you could really say Ginger Baker was a better drummer than Mitch Mitchell.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 9:52:16 AM PDT
Kevin Gordon says:
Arguments have always been made for Page being over-rated but who in rock could be matched for his prowess on both electric blues/rock AND acoustic work too?

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 10:21:56 AM PDT
dtm says:
Cream......

Hendrix is over-rated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 10:29:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 28, 2009 10:30:00 AM PDT
TM™ says:
uhh, move over rover, and let Jimi take over

Posted on Oct 28, 2009 11:09:38 AM PDT
J.Espresso says:
Cream never really floated my boat. Love Hendrix though. How often I've wondered how much great music we missed out on with Jimi checking-out far too soon. What would he have given us throughout the 70's, 80's, 90', 00's? What would he be doing now? He would be 67 years old -- not too old to still be producing.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 11:16:12 AM PDT
paige always looked up to Jeff Beck.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 11:19:20 AM PDT
Another thing...both groups were flatout blues groups either at their inception or by their earlier band experience. But the record company knocked 'Red House' off the first Hendrix release in the US. And he never did have a blues smash though there is plenty of Hendrix blues out there.

Another group like that was Canned Heat. And their guitar player Henry Vestine (Blind Owl) as awesome. Listen to 'One Kind Favor' (a variant of Please see that my grave is kept clean).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 28, 2009 12:58:51 PM PDT
onsenkuma says:
Jeff Beck Group. 'nuff said...

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 4:48:37 AM PDT
James Walsh says:
I'd have to go with Hendrix, mostly because Cream was actually a failed jazz concept. Baker and Bruce were jazz players who greatly admired the modal work of John Coltrane and the "harmelodic" work of Ornette Coleman. They wanted to put together a group that would do something similar in an electric context, but they couldn't find a guitarist who could fit what they were doing. Clapton was big at the time, following his stints in the Yardbirds and John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, so they tried him out. The combination was fairly successful and they went for it . . . but it never was what Baker and Bruce had in mind because Clapton insisted on playing against chords, even when they were only in his head. They turned out terrific music, but it wasn't the original concept.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 6:13:32 AM PDT
dtm says:
Jeff Beck.

Ask Clapton,
Ask Page,

Its Jeff beck.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 6:38:13 AM PDT
Glen Kepic says:
I love both bands too much to pick favorites, but this topic helps me to remember that when Chas Chandler offered Jimi the trip to England, one of the few questions Jimi asked was if Chas could introduce him to Eric Clapton (which he did).

Even Hendrix was a fan.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 9:24:15 AM PDT
dtm,
Hendrix over-rated? Check your meds.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 9:27:53 AM PDT
jblyn says:
Both equally superb....so is Jeff Beck.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 10:55:24 AM PDT
Uncle Beaver says:
I think Mitch Mitchell is one of the greatest and most under-appreciated drummers in rock.

I'm not a musician, but I'm always humming, tapping or thinking about his drumming in my head. He, along with John Bonham have VERY MEMORABLE songs.

Gotta go with THE EXPERIENCE.

I also think Hendrix's later stuff got better and better.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009 11:20:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 29, 2009 11:32:12 AM PDT
Ham Salad says:
I love how Gordon randomly defended Jimmy Page as if he was who we were talking about all along. Then people started popping up with Jeff Beck. Apparently, its Jimi Hendrix against the entire circle of Yardbirds alumni.

There's no sane choice but Jimi Hendrix, most definitely, though I'm a fan of Cream as well. Now, if I had to pick between them and Led Zeppelin AND Jeff Beck, I'd say it would go in this order:

Jimi, LZ, Jeff Beck, then Cream

I could see someone considering Eric Clapton's entire body of work, covering his entire life, as worth beating out Jeff Beck (though I wouldn't), but to say just Cream by itself could do so - definitely not.

In terms of pure guitar work though and not the bands, I would switch Jeff Beck to second Place and Page to third, with Clapton still last.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 3:03:44 PM PDT
"They (Baker and Bruce) wanted to put together a group that would do something similar in an electric context, but they couldn't find a guitarist who could fit what they were doing."

I don't know if this necessarily applies here.

It was Clapton and Bruce who originally put the group together, and Clapton agreed to include Baker on Bruces recommendation before he realised how volatile the two could be together.

It was this volatility that led to most of Creams problems.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 29, 2009 3:05:29 PM PDT
every1 check my pg navada mac please feel free to post a comment.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction vs. Tesla - Mechanical Resonance 10 2 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 757 6 minutes ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 522 6 minutes ago
1966...The Beatles Revolver. .The Rolling Stones Aftermath...The Beach Boys Pet Sounds. . 78 25 minutes ago
An October 1979 matchup: "Tusk" by Fleetwood Mac or "Regatta De Blanc" by The Police 61 2 hours ago
A "March Of '76" Matchup : Destroyer by Kiss or Presence by Led Zeppelin 26 5 hours ago
Roger Waters says "I was wrong" regarding Pink Floyd legal battles and says he will record a new solo album. 246 7 hours ago
Pink Floyd new music? 142 8 hours ago
What are you listening right now? 1117 10 hours ago
Punk! 343 10 hours ago
Most compelling line in a song. 2375 10 hours ago
A February 1967 matchup: "Younger Than Yesterday" by The Byrds or "Surrealistic Pillow" by Jefferson Airplane 39 11 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  75
Total posts:  356
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2009
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions