Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Get Ready for the Winter Gifts Under $50 Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Black Friday Deals Outdoor Deals on DOTD
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Why I am no longer buying MP3s from Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 26, 2012 10:29:13 PM PDT
After over 6 years as a loyal customer Amazon has decided to reward me by forcing me to use their cloud player and make me register all my PCs and devices before I can download any other purchases.

Today is my last day to buy music from you. For a company that prides itself on choice - you really blew it. I have never seen such a draconian and arrogant approach.

I appreciated the freedom you gave me to buy legal but now you took that away.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 10:30:57 PM PDT
And to add insult to injury - they will not refund my money on the album I can't download. How can you sell me a product I can't use and tell me you are not refunding my money.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:45:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 5:39:25 AM PDT
I bought a song recently too and had to register for the Cloud. Even though Amazon had me register for the Cloud, I was still able to download the song to my PC's hard drive and add it to my iTunes program and put it on my iPod and back it up on my USB stick. So, I don't get the reason why this is so upsetting.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:55:31 AM PDT
Down with downloading, up with cd's and vinyl!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 5:54:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 5:54:47 AM PDT
Johnny Bee says:
The cloud player is just a storage facility like the kindle library - useful if you lose MP3s you've purchased and want to download them again. Surely a good thing?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 5:57:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:27:31 AM PDT
Johnny Bee says:
Agreed - I only download MP3s as a last resort (the last time was when I wanted to hear 'Lick My Decals Off, Baby', but didn't want to pay a fortune for the CD).

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 7:26:10 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
You need the cloud because Amazon will automatically save your purchases there. However, if you go to your cloud player you can choose to download the song to whatever PC or device you wish. Not sure what all this "registering" is...I buy from Amazon mp3 all the time and have no problem downloading anything.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:14:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:28:09 AM PDT
When I downloaded my purchase yesterday, the message I got concerning the Cloud was about accepting the Terms of Use. That's what I meant by registering. It's the first time I've ever encountered anything about the Cloud when downloading here.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:20:44 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Ah, ok. That's not really "registering", it's just a EULA. Amazon recently placed restrictions on mp3's you upload to the cloud that WEREN'T purchased on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:30:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:43:34 AM PDT
All of the previous times I downloaded music here, the downloads had the option of working through the Amazon MP3 Downloader software and you had options to automatically add your music to iTunes or Windows Media Player. None of those options came up this time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:33:27 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:33:48 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Hmm, I know that downloading from the cloud on your PC isn't as obvious as it should be. If you click on the album title, for example, then you get the option to download. When you do that, it launches the Amazon Downloader. The settings to automatically add to iTunes or WMP is found on the Downloader software, not the Cloud.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:47:16 AM PDT
B L T says:
Open Amazon MP3 Downloader, click File then Preferences.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 8:47:52 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 8:48:06 AM PDT
When the option for using the Dowloader instead of the Cloud did not appear is when I got the Terms of Use for the Cloud message.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 9:15:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2012 9:31:40 AM PDT
I've checked the preferences on the downloader. First came up a message about upgrading to a new version. My current version is 1.0.15. The new version available is 1.0.17. Ignoring that message, I checked the preferences. It's still set up to automatically add the music to iTunes.

I just checked my mp3 settings on Amazon's website and I've discovered my problem. Apparently my settings got changed this week and my PC is now suddenly authorized for the Cloud Player. I'm going to deauthorize it and then do a test download.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:25:26 AM PDT
B L T says:
I'll continue buying MP3s from Amazon.

I don't use the cloud player to store any of my MP3's. I download all my MP3's to a file I've created on my computer. I make backups on flash-drives, put a copy on my wife's computer, then delete the files I just downloaded from the cloud.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:44:14 AM PDT
I had a problem downloading just like the original poster. But Amazon customer service instantly phoned me at my request and talked me through it. It was a pain though. So now if i download i just use I Tunes. It can be a few bucks more but it is totally instant and straightforward.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:46:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 7:47:43 AM PDT
Just did the test download.

1.First thing that came up was to Review my purchase. It says Click Continue to save to Cloud Player. With this step, I remember saving to the Cloud Player used to be optional.
2.After clicking Continue it says Purchase is completed and saved to Cloud Player and has two options:
a. Play in Cloud
b. Download purchase
3. After clicking on Download purchase, message appears about installing latest version of Amazon MP3 Downloader.
4. After choosing to skip the installation, message appears about device authorization. If you choose cancel, your song doesn't download. You are forced to authorize in order to download your song. This authorizing message is the registration or terms of use message I got when I downloaded music yesterday. I've never had that before.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 10:02:43 AM PDT
B L T says:
You can authorize 10 devices. I only download to 1 device (my personal computer). It's not a problem for me.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 9:55:54 PM PDT
Working Man says:
You can still download and play on your iPod, plus with the Amazon Cloud Player app for my iPhone I can play anything I buy from Amazon without actually adding it to my iPhone storage so it's a savings.

There are still advantages to downloads, but many CD prices have come down and for me that has cut into my downloading activity.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 1:06:14 AM PDT
Auggo says:
What happens if and when Amazon decides to change their 'terms of use' policies? Will they maybe decide to start charging for using the "Cloud Player" and deny access to all of your songs if you don't comply? What's to say that they can't change the rules down the road after you've gotten use to the way they have it now? Think about it; they've already done that with customers that would rather not use the Cloud in the first place, - given you no choice to decide what "you" want to do. It's like; "Sorry about that now, but you have yourself a real nice day anyway - ok!"

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 5:20:05 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Luigi, we'll have to cross that bridge when he come to it concerning charging for the use of the cloud. Actually, they only give you a little cloud storage for free anyway and I buy most of my stuff from iTunes and use Amazon when they have a special or sometimes when they are a little cheaper.

With the concerns about downloads and the fact that I am hearing that we don't really own the file but have paid for the ability to listen to them I have always burned everything to CD so if they want to reach into my computer and disable or remove my files I will still have CD copies.

Actually, I have now refocused myself back to physical media. CDs are now cheaper in many cases, especially older music. My concern there is the talk about the end of the CD so I am stocking up. I am concerned but with most of my musical interest focused on older 70s bands that won't be releasing too much more music in the next 10 years or so I am too concerned for myself. I am now looking for cheap CDs and have not purchased as many downloads as I once did.

Posted on Oct 1, 2012 6:51:56 PM PDT
Tessa says:
Is it true? There is talk of ending cd? I don't download music because I am a tech idiot. I tried once to download to my pc and YES I did follow the instructions...but where is the file? Lucky for me my friend just happened to be close by with his apple and amazon let me down load to his laptop with out charging me again. So unless I come up with the money for a mac I won't download. And it is a shame because a lot of the artists I like are download only, like Nhar and Omodaka.

Posted on Oct 8, 2012 2:17:09 PM PDT
75006 says:
There is a MASSIVE problem with it actually. You cannot use multiple Amazon accounts on a single PC to download files anymore as the 'device' (i.e. your home computer) can only be registered to one account. Myself and my wife have seperate Amazon accounts but use our one and only compatible 'device' (the home computer). She got in first and made the it her authorised device, which is fine. But this is no good for me - when I go to Cloud and ask to download files I've purchased, I'm told the 'device' is already authorised to 'another account'. And, as I do not have any other compatible devices (either iOS, Android or Blackberry - I happen to use a Sony Walkman MP3 player) I have no way of downloading anything to anywhere. It is absolutely apalling...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2012 3:51:13 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
I don't understand this problem. Just because it's on a cloud, Amazon, Google Drive, Drop Box, Pogoplug, Youtube or Evernote doesn't mean you don't have it downloaded somewhere AND backed up somewhere else. You paid money for it, you still have to back it up. Don't be a victim of some executive's whim or a crash or a bankruptcy.

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 2:24:50 AM PST
The new Soundgarden is four bucks, and i really love Soundgarden, but i'm scared to pull the trigger. I think i'll just get the CD.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Sep 26, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 19, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions