Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles : American Music and The British Invasion

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 151-175 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:51:29 PM PST
Hinch says:
I can understand why you use the word 'pretentious' but The Doors are one of my top favorite American bands. Other than SOFT PARADE I can listen to their albums all the way through. L.A. WOMAN is one of the best albums ever, imo of course.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:58:31 PM PST
Hinch says:
Thanks Daniel. I believe this is my 6th (7th?)'Beatles' thread in a couple of years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:06:25 PM PST
Hinch says:
Mibo, Actually I did debate whether to put their name in the title. Then I remembered you like them so much. That's what closed the deal. (-: Besides, they were the leaders of the invasion. Yes. It could have been a different band....but it wasn't.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:15:20 PM PST
Severin says:
The Moodies' first album, like those of Genesis, Bowie, Giles, Giles & Fripp (King Crimson) and others was a Mulligan. They were allowed a do-over.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:22:45 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
And I was about 7. I wish I could say that your point hurts my argument but it doesn't. My daughter sang Barney and jumped around at 4 and made me buy her the CDs. I don't want to make this an argument saying The Beatles weren't good. They were very good but the early years were NOT musically incredible. They were teeny bopper. They grew up rather quickly though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:25:02 PM PST
H&L says:
Joyce,

Back in the old days, many teen idols came out with some good songs and some of them had some vocal talent along with the good looks and hair. Today it is all image and making money.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:28:21 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
"The Beatles were one of the FIRST to compose their own original material." That is not counting Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, Eddie Cochran, Little Richard, Fats Domino etc.

"BIG part of their appeal was their unique SOUND" An update of The Crickets sound

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:32:21 PM PST
Severin says:
Although a lot of marketing went into breaking The Beatles into America they ware already topping the British charts for months before coming here. They weren't a band concocted from lads answering a want ad, they'd been playing for years. They absorbed all the old U.S. rock 'n' roll records (and their b-sides) and incorporated skiffle. Many many hours were spent onstage in Hamburg honing their playing and developing their personalities.

And it wasn't just the music vaccum/timing but their innate talent and the fact that they had a producer who nurtured that talent. I remember reading how disappointed Ray Davies was at the end of recording 'You Really Got Me' thinking it sounded terrible but their producer Shel Talmy wouldn't let them re-record the song. George Martin on the other hand wouldn't allow 'Please Please Me' to be released until the composition and arrangement were right.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:34:42 PM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
You are correct. Ricky Nelson was all image at the beginning but certainly grew into being a great artist. Del Shannon, Dion, Tommy James etc were all better than their initial teeny bopper image.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:37:44 PM PST
Severin says:
Daniel, Bob Dylan tells a similar story although he was much older. When he heard 'I Want To Hold Your Hand" he had his friend pull the car over. He said of The Beatles, "They were doing things nobody was doing. Their chords were outrageous, just outrageous, and their harmonies made it all valid."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:46:08 PM PST
Severin says:
Joyce, I bought the "Troubadour" set a long time ago and the other classic Donovan albums when they were remastered with lots of bonus tracks. I like them all. As I mentioned on another post recently "Hurdy Gurdy Man" is very eclectic, maybe intentionally so. It's as if he challenged himself to do every song in a different style. BTW my favorite song on "Troubadour" is 'Super Lungs,' the early version. Nice organ intro (no, not the lungs).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-1AWu9Xk6o

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:47:11 PM PST
Severin says:
Joyce, thanks for the kind words. I was always the class clown when I was a punster.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 1:52:31 PM PST
Mitch,
I disagree. The qualitty of music in 1963 was pretty poor. Before The Beatles hit number 1 on Feb. 1, 1964, the previous number 1 songs were 'There I've Said it Again' by Bobby Vinton, 'Domunique' by the Singing Nun, and 'I'm Leaving it Up to You' by Dale and Grace.
'Please, Please Me', 'I Want to Hold Your Hand', and 'She Loves You' were like a breath of fresh air, and marked the beginning of a new wave of Rock music, that is still felt today.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:22:43 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Hinch and Mitch and All:
....it wasn't, because it couldn't have been...it was their fate....their's...not anyone else's...everyone has their 'place' or 'piece', in the giant puzzle..that was their's... (in mo)
love,
joyce :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:26:21 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Lawrence:
of course, that is very much the case, now...however, i do think that Justin B. IS serious about his 'art'...of course he wants to be successful and make money, but i really do not believe he is in it just for the money....i really don't. he does it, because he loves it. he believes in his 'art'....again, i don't happen to care for his music, but he IS serious about it....and yes, he is being 'sold', by those in the music business, and sold for as much profit as possible.
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:28:05 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Mitch:
yes, they were one of the first...they were not the only ones, but at that time, almost all groups had their stuff written for them...although they also did 'covers', in the early days, they also wrote most all of their own songs, which was unusual, at that time, for a rock/pop band/group.
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:29:52 PM PST
Severin says:
I'm not a believer in fate, more a chaos worshiper myself, but I think The Beatles were the perfect mix of their music influences, playing ability, songwriting potential, a caring producer and timing. I wouldn't say if it wasn't them it would have been somebody else because they were the ones everyone else imitated. George Martin produced other bands but none came close to having the same degree of success. And if it was just a fad or result of clever marketing why did it go on for so many years? Other bands had their own influences and abilities, went in their own directions but The Beatles were the yardstick all others were measured by.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:30:28 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
yes, as i said in a previous post, all of that (timing, packaging, etc.) is great to get you in the door, but only your own talent and uniqueness will keep you there....
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:33:53 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
thanks for the link! i know i will love all 3! thanks so much for being one of the ones who recommended them!
(you are so funny! 'no, not the lungs'!!! lol!)
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:36:57 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
yes, there was, and is, something there....if not, we wouldn't all be 'here'..... :)
i agree.
love,

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 2:43:00 PM PST
Severin says:
Joyce, you brought up a good point and that's motivation. Certainly The Beatles had ambition but they weren't just in it for the money. For them it was a life choice as opposed to a career choice. George said in an interview that all he ever wanted to be was a guitar player. And the group certainly paid their dues, spent years touring every little town, riding in the back of a van, sometimes 3 gigs a day. When they first walked into EMI studios they were quite thin from all the touring. But these days it's like someone can be a lawyer or pop star or accountant. As Pink Floyd said, welcome to the machine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:09:53 PM PST
Hinch says:
Joyce, Correctamundo! Like I always say, it is what it is. We can talk 'what ifs' all day. What happened is what happened.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:29:29 PM PST
H&L says:
Joyce,

The road is litterd with past teenage idols, I guess there is still plendy of room for old Justin. By the way while we are on the subject, here is an old song by Elton John call Teenage Idol from his 1973 album. Listen to the lyrics they are really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSnF101lm1o

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:31:40 PM PST
H&L says:
Donald,

Which one is Pink?:)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 3:58:01 PM PST
Joyce says:
Dear Don:
yeah, it is a 'machine'...unfortunately, many don't completely realize what that means, until they are 'in' it, and decide they don't want it as much as they originally thought. i do think most do it cuz they love to perform/write/etc., and the ones that stay in it, despite the high price of fame, definitely love what they do...mo....
love,
Discussion locked

ARRAY(0xad074b7c)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  49
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 24, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions