Customer Discussions > Music forum

Re discoveries anyone?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 18, 2012 11:29:24 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Good morning night owls.

Has anyone picked up sounds from their distant past they have now given a 2nd spin?

2 artists have found their way back home courtesy of some cool used shops.

1- Mississippi Fred McDowell, I had his LP "I do not play RocknRoll" which ironically was covered verbatim by 1 noteworthy artist called the Rolling Stones (they covered McDowell's "You Got To Move"). I was just floored all over again & cant imagine how I did without his brilliant slide/vcls all this time....(whew!)....Highly recommended. Now if I could just find a vinyl version.

2- Cactus, early 70's proto metal, blues & rock, 1/2 from Detroit & 1/2 from NYC. I picked up an anthology on rhino which tends to do good mastering. I am still impressed by this bands ability to just kick butt. They never went the miracle mile because they never wrote a or had the luck with a blockbuster hit. Musically, they were on par with any of their competitiors (ZEP, Beck Group, MC5, Cream etc...)
I probabbly traded my vinyl lps for other stuff along the way & now I wish I had them.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2012 8:01:03 PM PDT
I've done catch-and-release four times on Jim Nabors' GALVESTON Lp, c. 1969. Most recently Amy Grant, THE COLLECTION (Lp) and HEARTS IN MOTION (cassette), on CD. She's the anglo version of Wing, with production (EXTENSIVE overuse of keyboards) by Darryl Dragon of Captain & Tennille.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 11:51:59 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 22, 2012 11:55:02 AM PDT
A. Strong says:
The debut album from Mott The Hoople.
Cat Stevens: Tea For The Tillerman.
Johnny Rivers Live at the Whiskey A-Go-Go

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 11:57:35 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
I never heard Mott's 1st.
I started with Brain Capers & ended with Live.....(Lord knows you could do worse in the 70s)

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 12:01:49 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
ESteven:

Brain Capers is my favorite record by the band and the 2nd record entitled "Mad Shadows" is my number two right behind it with the 1st album my third favorite. Early Mott The Hoople is unlike any other band from the late 1960's/early 1970's as any of the first four albums ("Brain Capers" is the fourth) are four and five star records.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 12:34:58 PM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Thanks A. Strong....I will have to check those out.....so much music so little time.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 3:31:44 PM PDT
zlh67 says:
I've recently re-explored the early Cheap Trick (1st three albums) and it's been like discovering a whole new band.

Like most people in the general population (but not necessarily on these forums...), Cheap Trick first hit my radar in 1978 with 'Live at Budokan' and then again in '79 with "Dream Pollice". I got "All Shook Up" (1980) after that and love that one, but for the most part, stuff after that I'd found to be pretty inconsistent.

Years later, I went back and got "Heaven Tonight" because I just had to have "On Top Of The World" (still one of my favorites) and "California Man", but after a cursory listen, I didn't find as much to like about it as the other albums I had, so it never clicked with me and I figured their best stuff was "Budokan" thru "All Shook Up" and left it at that. I just never continued exploring into their earlier catalog until very recently when I found a used copy of the debut for $5 and figured "what the heck?"

Best $5 I ever spent, too!

The debut is such an underrated slice of rock perfection, a perfect blend of rock, punk and pop with power chord verses, hook filled choruses and deceptively dark lyrics. That made me pick up "In Color" which I don't like quite as much, but is still solid, and then I rembered I had "Heaven Tonight" tucked away in my collection too. A couple of listens to that and it also became a fave and made me wonder what I was thinking when I first got it and didn't really like it.

So three "new" Cheap Trick albums for me, all in quick succession, which just about doubled my listening pleasure of that great band.

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 6:12:27 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Stephen Stills
Pulled out my MANASSAS vinyl, even though I own on CD. Vinyl sounds so warm.
Illegal Stills
Stills 2

Hollies
ROMANY
3-cd EPIC anthology

Dusty Springfield
A Girl Called Dusty
GOLD
Dusty in Memphis

Neil Diamond
Hot August Night
Complete Universal Artists Collection (3-cd)

ELP
Trilogy
Pictures

America
Hearts

Bryan Adams
Reckless

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 6:50:29 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom

ELP

Have you heard either of the remasters recently done by Steven Wilson of their debut and Tarkus? They are both excellent, in keeping with Mr. Wilson's string of great remasters starting with King Crimson to the remix of Jethro Tull's Aqualung. He is also remastering Thick As A Brick for it's 40th anniversary, due out next month.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 4:37:38 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Some artists that I didn't get into that much back in the 70's, but have recently (last ten years or so) given a more serious listen and have discovered or rediscovered and now I listen to often:

Uriah Heep
Rory Gallagher
UFO
Thin Lizzy
Wishbone Ash

I had owned only one UFO and one Rory Gallagher back in the 70's but now have jumped into both artists. As for Uriah Heep, Thin Lizzy and Wishbone Ash, I never owned anything from them and now have explored Heep and Lizzy quite a bit and Wishbone Ash only for Argus and their Wishbone Ash albums.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:49:41 PM PST
A. Strong says:
Listened again to: "Knebworth" a 2 disc set of many Knebworth concerts recorded over many years in the 1970's and 1980's and it still holds up as a great collection.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 3:24:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 6:32:27 PM PST
Hinch says:
I just received The Best of The Flock in the mail this week. It has 5 tracks from their self titled first album('69), which I never owned, and 5 out of 7 tracks from their second album DINOSAUR SWAMP('70) which I own on vinyl but haven't listened to in many years. It also has 4 previously unreleased tracks. It's as close to being true jazz-rock as I've ever heard. One track reminds me of my favorite Miles Davis album ON THE CORNER from '72. I wonder if Miles heard it? It's one of my best buys in a while.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 7:41:52 AM PST
Two Tub Man says:
I recently recieved the third and final book in Martin Popoff's Thin Lizzy trilogy, so I've dived in to the Lizzy
catalog again, as I've done when I got the first two books.
I've been revisting the last four Thin Lizzy albums, Black Rose/Chinatown/Renegade/Thunder and Lightning.
Amazing stuff, recorded with three different twin-lead guitar duos : Scott Gorham w/ Gary Moore, two with
Gorham & Snowy White, the last one w/ Gorham & John Sykes. I've tended to stick with their middle period
albums, w/Gorham & Brian Robertson, when the band was at their most popular.

While I still prefer the twin guitar albums over the early Lynott/Downey/Eric Bell trio, I'm convinced that Thin
Lizzy never made a poor studio album. Every one has several gems (probably emeralds) sprinkled throughout.

Shame on you, Phil Lynott, for being such an idiot with the drink & drugs.
What a waste.

In reply to an earlier post on May 29, 2013 6:25:48 PM PDT
Box sets do help to rekindle interest in artists that I haven't played in the CD machine for ages.
"Skydog" has gotten me listening to a bunch of Duane Allman music as of late
and the Stephen Stills box has done the very same thing with his music....Good stuff!

Posted on May 29, 2013 9:35:18 PM PDT
Blue Oyster Cult-I bought their Box set for Xmas and have enjoyed going back and listening to one of the best and most underrated bands ever. I also like Spectres more now than back then.

Posted on May 29, 2013 11:32:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 30, 2013 11:06:54 PM PDT
B-Jak says:
The debut Ambrosia album. I thought I knew it really well, wore out the vinyl, had it on cassette, but I haven't really listened to those in a decade. Got it on CD finally, and,OMG! What a freakin' brilliant album! I played it three times back to back, something I never do even twice.

Posted on May 30, 2013 5:55:48 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Has anyone picked up sounds from their distant past they have now given a 2nd spin?"

Bands, no. CDs, yes. My experience with this has always been with Jazz because that's what I listen to most nowadays. From time to time I'll buy a certain CD by someone I like a lot and who's past albums I own and enjoy, but after hearing it the 1st time I find that I don't really care for it.

My solution, and one that has worked quite often in the past, is to listen to it when I'm in different moods or even at different times of day and night. Another trick is to take it along and listen to it in the car while driving. I think it has to do with not paying attention and just letting the music sink in. This has worked for me on quite a few occasions. Go figure?

Posted on May 30, 2013 7:28:48 AM PDT
bookworm77 says:
I bought a Cass Elliot CD not long ago and it is AWESOME. She had an amazing voice. Its a shame you don't hear more of her solo stuff on the radio. They don't even play it on the Sirius stations that have channels devoted to each decade. We have a lot of people burning up the air right now that can only wish they had the perfect pitch she has.

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 2:48:51 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Lately I've re-discovered:

Johnny Rivers
The Byrds
Moody Blues

And it's great to enjoy them once again.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:43:38 PM PDT
I broke out my Hollies boxset: "The Long Road Home" today and it's been years but it's good all over again.

Posted on Oct 14, 2013 10:38:57 AM PDT
A. Strong says:
The Breaking Bad TV show has given Badfinger some new life and Tommy James was featured on there while Mister White was cooking his blue meth a few seasons back so drugs may be making a comeback in 2013....

Posted on Oct 15, 2013 2:50:05 PM PDT
alysha25 says:
I especially adore the song "Crystal Blue Persuasion". And really what could Better fit Breaking Bad! That's unfortunate in a way though, as the song really has nothing at all to do with that, or drugs. But now people are going to think of it when they hear that song. I think I recall reading that Tommy James said he got "Crystal Blue Persuasion" from a religious or spiritual revelation he had.

Posted on Oct 16, 2013 2:16:16 AM PDT
N. Ying says:
Donna Summer. What. A. Singer. For a long time I'd dismissed her as just a disco queen. Then I watched her show-ending performance in that David Foster concert blu-ray a couple of years ago, and she absolutely blew me away. Powerful voice with an inner strength. She delivered such power and control in her singing so effortlessly that she put all those hey-listen-to-me-I'm-yelling singers nowadays to shame.

Since then, I've bought all her CDs from Amazon. Her studio recordings, however, just do not do her voice and ability justice. Her Live And More - Encore DVD will show you a great singer at the height of her power.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2013 3:19:59 AM PDT
@alysha25: "I think I recall reading that Tommy James said he got "Crystal Blue Persuasion" from a religious or spiritual revelation he had."

Yes, from Christianity to meth use...the song's meaning sure has evolved. ;)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Sep 18, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions