Customer Discussions > Music forum

Revolver, Yesterday and Today, Beatles Again

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 86 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 1, 2012 6:37:18 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
I wish Capital would release stereo/mono versions of these three albums complete with cover art. They could go a similar packaging route as they did on the Capital albums vols. #1 and #2. I realize that Yesterday and Today and Hey Jude (Beatles Again) were cobbled together releases for the American market, but they were great albums! They rank up there with The Great Lost Kinks Album and December's Children. In terms of the material, I realize that's out there on other titles, but I'd buy a Capital Albums #3 if it included these titles. Whaddya think?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:48:28 AM PST
Severin says:
Unless the music was mixed differently you could just rip the songs onto your computer and create a playlist. I've done that with "The Kink Kronikles" and "This Is the Moody Blues" although I know the latter had different mixes.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 6:56:51 AM PST
Geezerguy says:
I think the mixes may have been different for the American market... not sure. I'd love the packaging. Beatles Again is a great cover... perhaps the Butcher cover could be included with Yesterday and Today.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:00:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:22:54 AM PST
It would be good if the Capitol albums were released separately, and I say that as someone who never grew up with the American albums.
The Capitol albums were often short, with only 11 tracks on most. I sometimes wonder if people would be willing to pay full price for albums that, on some occasions, only went for about 25 minutes.
I guess stereo/mono issues would bump up the running times.
Purists won't accept bonus tracks on "original" Beatles' albums, it seems.

( Some of those 'cobbled together' albums still managed to sound really good. "December's Children" a perfect example of that).

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:00:27 AM PST
Severin says:
I thought it was funny when the replacement photo for "Yesterday... And Today" which was so innocuous was later declared to be a "Paul is dead" clue; when you turned it sideways Paul is in a box.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:01:56 AM PST
Severin says:
Maybe they could be released as two-fers like the Beach Boys albums were.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:03:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 7:13:28 AM PST
Perhaps, or the same album in stereo/mono forms.
(We know that people were happy to buy the early UK originals, that only went for about 35 minutes each).

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:06:25 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 9:27:18 AM PST
Hinch says:
ThE BEATLES AGAIN doesn't fall into the same catagory as the other two. It was made up of singles released througout their career and was made up of all previously released material. The Apple singles were originally recorded and released only in stereo. Releasing them in mono would be like releasing ABBEY ROAD or LET IT BE in mono. Unless you want mono for mono's sake, there would be no purpose. Also, all their Capitol albums could be said to have been "cobbled together" for the American market, from albums and singles. Imo, a CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL III should include Y AND T, REVOLVER, SGT PEPPER and MMT. I don't own Vol II. Was EARLY BEATLES included? If not, it could be in III.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:17:18 AM PST
Hinch says:
I see EARLY BEATLES was included in Vol 2. RARITIES was a Capitol release. It could be included in Vol. 3.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:54:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:43:22 PM PST
Geezerguy says:
Hinch, I think Revolver was released in both stereo and mono versions. Cant' remember about Yesterday and Today. Yes, Beatles Again would fall into a different category. I still love that cover and the playing order. And my vinyl is trashed at this point...

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:24:55 AM PST
Hinch says:
Yes. I only said the Apple singles were recorded in stereo. Y&T and Revolver were released in both mono and stereo. I just noticed I left REVOLVER off my list for Vol 3. Lol. I'll have to edit that. Thanks!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:40:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 9:41:48 AM PST
Hinch says:
I own most of the Capitol albums in mono. I still have all my albums from the sixties. I bought stereo versions in the seventies and eighties. I never owned EARLY BEATLES or BEATLES VI in mono. I do own the mono VJ album INTRODUCING THE BEATLES with the fold-out cover. I bought CAPITOL ALBUMS VOL 1 earlier this year. Those mixes sound great!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:09:42 AM PST
Hinch,

Since the Capitol MMT is now the "Official" CD & SGT PEPPER didn't differ from the UK version, My lineup for CAPITOL ALBUMS III would probably include YESTERDAY & TODAY, REVOLVER, LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL, & either HEY JUDE/BEATLES AGAIN or RARITIES (Perhaps a combination of the American & UK Versions),

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:13:02 AM PST
Hinch,

That fold-out INTRODUCING THE BEATLES (SONGS, PICTURES & STORIES...) is a pretty pricey collectible these days. I sold mine for something like over $100.00 10 or 15 years ago!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 10:56:37 AM PST
Music Luver says:
500 now Cyberian

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:57:37 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
What about do it like The Beach Boy Two'fers from a few years ago?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:58:41 AM PST
MiBoDoCa says:
I have to read more. I didn't see your post and wrote the same thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:05:42 AM PST
Wow!
Looks like I sold too soon!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:12:19 AM PST
Severin says:
It's still a good idea. You don't see that much anymore but I have Klaatu's first 2 albums on 1 CD and their third and fourth on another disc. The first is also from Capitol, the second disc from a Canadian company.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:12:31 AM PST
DKPete says:
I'm with you Geezerguy...there's also The Beatles Story which, while not that great in and of itself, is a pretty interesting document of that particular time period...I still say Rock and Roll Music and Love Songs should also be officially issued using whatever few different mixes were created for those specific albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:30:23 AM PST
I forgot about THE BEATLES STORY.

So now my nomination for CAPITOL ALBUMS III would be:

BEATLES STORY
YESTERDAY & TODAY
REVOLVER
LIVE AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL

Perhaps Volume IV could then include:

HEY JUDE/BEATLES AGAIN
RARITIES
ROCK & ROLL
LOVE SONGS

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:40:37 PM PST
There were some different mixes on Yesterday and Today. The stereo mixes of We Can Work It Out and Day Tripper were early stereo mixes done at the time of Rubber Soul. George Martin remixed those two songs in stereo later in 1966 for the A Collection of Beatles Oldies compilation released only in the UK; those mixes are what you hear on Past Masters and all other subsequent comps with those songs.
I'm Only Sleeping, Dr. Robert and And Your Bird Can Sing had different mono mixes than the ones that appeared on the mono UK Revolver. The original Y&T had those 3 songs in fake stereo mixes made from the early mono mixes, but later there were pressings of the album which contained early stereo mixes of I'm Only Sleeping and Dr. Robert, again different from the final stereo mixes on UK Revolver.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:01:17 PM PST
Mono: REVOLVER, yes. YESTERDAY AND TODAY, yes.

YESTERDAY AND TODAY was mono Capitol T 2553; stock stereo ST 2553, but with three tracks on the stereo stock copy rechanneled duophonic, and a Capitol Record Club pressing ST 8 2553 all tracks in true stereo. Soooo... if there were a definitive mono/stereo ...fer on that album, you could argue for a three-fer.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 1:03:45 PM PST
Severin says:
What about "Reel Music" and the "The Beatles Movie Medley" single?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjwRBbzwR5Q

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 2:56:54 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 2:57:30 PM PST
DKPete says:
I thought of all those various mixes concerning Yesterday And Today (I actually have a copy with the fake stereo mixes of the mono mixes; the album came out with the early stereo mixes in 1969 according to Spizer).

I, for one, would love all three (?) versions of the album in one deluxe set but how many people would that really interest..?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  86
Initial post:  Dec 1, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 11, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions