Customer Discussions > Music forum

Any upcoming re-issue stuff??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 75 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 21, 2012 9:58:50 AM PDT
DKPete says:
I'm always on the lookout for re-issues/remasters, etc., of my favorite artists (60's and 70's...some very early 80's).

Does anyone know of anything interesting coming around over the next couple of months?? I'd specifically like to ask if anyone has any info on ANY possibility of the Squeeze catalog being re-issued. While nearly everyone and their sister's Uncle Moe has seen their material remastered probably more than once or twice, the material these guys put out seems to have fallen through those cracks.

..and while I'm at it...how about Glenn Tillbrook being put in that category of most overlooked guitarists..??

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 11:34:21 AM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
For lovers of late-'70s, early-'80s powerpop, due out July 31:

20/20/Look Out!

20/20 ("Yellow Pills") are reissuing their first two albums with a pair of bonus tracks (B-sides previously unreleased on CD).

As for Squeeze, I know their first six albums were reissued with a couple of bonus tracks each in the UK in 1997-98, and 'Argybargy' got a 2-disc deluxe reissue in 2008. Don't know about anything else coming up soon, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 11:52:53 AM PDT
DKPete says:
Gena, thanks for the squeeze info...I didn't know about Argybargy-gonna check that out right now.

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 12:59:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 1:30:00 PM PDT
Emerson, Lake And Palmer's first two albums, "Emerson Lake And Palmer" and "Tarkus", are set for deluxe releases to be issued on Sep 11. The editions are three-disc sets that will feature the original album mix on disc one, a Steven Wilson remix of the album plus copious outtakes from the sessions on disc two, and a DVD-A with a Wilson 5.1 surround mix of the album on disc three.

The Small Faces have just seen their three albums ("Small Faces (1966)", "Small Faces (1967)" and "Ogden's Nut Gone Flake") remastered in deluxe editions with both mono and stereo versions of each album plus an extra disc of bonus tracks/outtakes. I haven't got any of them yet but they are getting excellent reviews.

T.Rex saw a three-disc deluxe edition of "Electric Warrior" recently, with a second disc of demos/outtakes and a third disc of rare TV appearances.

While not a 60s/70s band, The Smashing Pumpkins are putting out very well-made deluxe editions of their early albums right now. I just got the deluxe "Gish" yesterday and it is well worth it--a drastically improved remaster on disc one, outstanding demos/outtakes on disc two, and a DVD of an early live performance on disc three. The "Siamese Dream" and "Pisces Iscariot" remasters are also out right now and I'll be getting those in short order. "Mellon Collie", set for release later this year, is supposed to be a six-disc box!

Posted on Jul 21, 2012 1:21:34 PM PDT
Severin says:
Earlier this month The English Beat had a box set issued containing their 3 studio albums, a 4th disc of remixes and dubs and a 5th disc of Peel Sessions and live tracks. It's called "The Complete Beat."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 2:49:49 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Gena,
Thanks for the heads up on the reissue of the first pair of 20/20 albums. I missed out on the 2fer on Oglio, which has been going for princely sums on Ebay, so I've settled for replacing my battered vinyl a couple of times.
Cool that this reissue is a 2fer as well.

PS : WTF would your post get TWO "No" votes????

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 21, 2012 3:13:14 PM PDT
Gena Chereck says:
I suspect somebody here just doesn't like me for some reason. But as long as nobody comes right out and tells me how I've been offensive, the anonymous votes are pretty much meaningless and I've started to ignore them.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 3:21:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 3:22:09 PM PDT
I just read that Peter Gabriel is due to release "So" on Sep 18 (a two-disc deluxe set plus a bigger box set of unknown discs). With lotsa demos, outtakes, the usual. To be followed by a tour with his original "So" band, playing the album from start to finish. I wish he'd do the same treatment for "PG III (Melt)" and "Security".

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 3:42:06 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Michael. thanks for that on Gabriel...while I'm not really a fan after Genesis, I have a very good friend who is a Gabriel fanatic; info I shall pass along and which will be very appreciated.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 5:12:06 PM PDT
@DKPete: you know it's funny--Genesis recently went through the "deluxe" treatment on their recent box sets, with the remixes of their albums and addition of visual materials (concert/TV appearances) as bonus discs. Then there was the "Archives" boxes from a while back that collected a lot of unreleased live stuff, b-sides and demos.

However, the one thing all this has been missing are studio outtakes. I was just on youtube yesterday listening to some *amazing* instrumental jams and alternate takes from the "Selling England", "Lamb" and "Trick" sessions. These need to see release!!

Given the way artists seem to find new ways of repackaging their material every five years to milk the fans, however, I'm sure it will happen eventually.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 5:40:23 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Michael, you're probably right..although Genesis do seem to be one of the bands that's a bit slower at putting stuff like that out.

Just to add, as far as seventies bands go, the kings of repackaging appear to be Led Zeppelin: initially there were two box sets; one containing the "major" stuff and another containing the more obscure stuff (if you can call anything by Zeppelin obscure). Along with those came the releases of the remastered individual albums on CD. Then came one box of the mini Lp's to be followed by the two versions of Mothership (one with "primary" tracks and another only a bit more extensive). And then, yet another box set of the mini Lp's...while the Mothership stuff was re-remastered (and not so terrifically according to some), the two mini Lp boxes were not.

So, lots of repackagings from these guys and, throughout all of it, NOTHING in the way of outtakes. Very disappointing.

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 5:51:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 5:53:15 PM PDT
@DKPete: yeah, "Coda" hardly exhausted all the great stuff they have left in the vault (at least they have released "Live At The BBC" and "How The West Was Won" in an attempt to rectify their paucity of quality live material). A quick check of youtube will show that they have some great studio outtakes still lying around; the alt version of "No Quarter" is superb, "Sugar Mama" is a rocking outtake, "Swan Song" from the "Grafitti" sessions, an electric "Bron-Yr-Aur", etc.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 22, 2012 7:22:22 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
The entire Pixies catalog, albums, EPs and singles, are available on their web site in mp3, Apple Lossless or Flac.

http://www.pixiesmusic.com

Posted on Jul 22, 2012 9:03:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 22, 2012 9:04:34 PM PDT
August 14 marks the release of "Lo Fi Hi Fives: a Kind of Best of" by R. Stevie Moore. To those unfamiliar with Moore's work, he's considered a Godfather of low-fi/DIY recordings. This 14-track sampler is culled from the more than 500 albums he's assembled since 1975. Guided By Voices and Apples in Stereo fans should especially take note.

Already out: The 1979 power-pop album by The Durocs, which got five stars in Rolling Stone when it was originally released. Highlights include the original song "Save It All Up for Larry" and a fun cover of Gene Pitney's "It Hurts to Be in Love." The reissue was handled by the same company that's putting out the 20/20 two-fer mentioned by Gena.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 4:12:18 AM PDT
Severin says:
Michael, they also expanded "The Song Remains the Same" adding 6 additional tracks. But I think that The Who are the worst for multiple CD releases. How many versions of "Live At Leeds" and "Who's Next" do they think we need?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 6:50:15 AM PDT
"But I think that The Who are the worst for multiple CD releases."

No, that would be Pink Floyd.

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 7:00:18 AM PDT
crater face says:
The Numero Group is set to re-issue The Shoes Debut Lp "one in Versailles" and "black vinyl shoes"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 7:18:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 7:29:28 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
DKPete...Saw Squeeze Friday night(7/20/12).....The Romantics opened for them...Squeeze was great (it was my 11th time seeing them)...the great songs, the great harmonizing what a crimanally underated band!
(The Romantics quite good)

Eddie

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 7:24:19 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Gena...Saw 20/20 in a great show in the late 70's,
The Records
The Sinceros
The Beat
20/20

to this day still love The Records and The Sinceros(The Sound of Sunbathing and Pet Rock are classics)...saw The Records a couple of times great underated band too....Will Birch and John Wicks are great songwriters!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 8:33:08 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Michael,

Don't hold your breath on that. I know what you mean; there are some cool jams on YouTube; I would think, if they got the master tapes, they could clean up some of that stuff and release some cool outtakes. But I suspect there are those in that "camp" (I think it's Tony, but Mike & Phil might very well be on board, too) that simply do NOT want to even think about releasing that stuff.

Look at the Archive 2 box set; they released barely a handful of interesting live tracks, and ONE outtake: A rehearsal version of "Mama", of all things! I heard that box was supposed to be 4 CD's, with all kinds of outtakes, but they decided to cut back on the outtakes and cut it down to 3. And they decided to fade two of the tracks early: "Submarine" and "It's Yourself". They've since rectified that by releasing the full version of "Submarine" on their '76-'82 box set, and they included an extra verse on "It's Yourself" -- but that track still has the early fade! I really don't get that at all. They came really close to getting it right, but then they screw up.

Same thing with the Archive 1 box; they never included the alternate recording of "Watcher Of The Skies", a track available on the German "Rock Roots" album. And that wasn't included in the '70-'75 box set, either.

Gee, thanks, guys.

It's really a shame that they can't seem to get it together with the BBC and release a proper "Complete BBC" set, which would be incredibly awesome! Those are on YouTube as well (I'm sure you've found them already). Some great stuff; great early versions of "The Musical Box", "Harold The Barrel", "Return Of The Giant Hogweed", "Salmacis", and TWO versions of "Stagnation"!

Ha! Let 'em keep arguing, I burned a disc for myself months ago.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 9:03:29 AM PDT
Jersey Joker says:
Eddie,

Don't know The Sinceros, but I LOVE The Records! They did a nice job remastering their 3 albums, with some great outtakes. They also released an album of outtakes (Paying For The Summer Of Love) back in the early 90's, with early versions of songs from their first album -- that's a pretty interesting listen, although some of the vocals are pretty sloppy on a few of the songs (which surprises me, because their "finished" masters have such great harmonies!) Still some great stuff on there, including another version of "Starry Eyes".

Posted on Jul 23, 2012 9:43:00 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 27, 2012 6:25:17 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
McCartney is working on Venus and Mars.

I enjoyed the Floyd boxes...I wish they'd do Animals with a double CD of the 77 tour and a DVD of it should it exist.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 10:17:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 23, 2012 10:18:12 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Jersey Joker,,,The Sinceros came out during the late 70s., Wounded Bird released their 2 albums...definitly worth a listen(Power pop, great harmonies,great hooks!)...John Wicks recentl put out cd called Rotate An Anthology...inder the guise of John Wicks and the Records..it is excellent even thought no other member of The Records are on it.....

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 1:03:29 PM PDT
@BFD: these recent experience/immersion sets are the first time Floyd has issued their back catalog correctly, IMO. Although I'm still waiting for the multi-disc boxes for "Piper", "Meddle" and "Animals"...if they're ever coming.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 23, 2012 1:09:20 PM PDT
@JerseyJoker: I think the second Archive box was shortened because the first one didn't sell very well, or didn't sell as well as they expected. But, yeah, the second one seemed much skimpier than the first (thankfully, the first box covered the more important era).

I've never heard of this alt version of "Watcher". I thought the single version included on "Archives 1" was pretty interesting. I'll try and look for this other version you're talking about.

Speaking of burning your own discs, there are some great youtube to mp3 converters out there on the web. I've already made several discs of material I can't get anywhere else, including ones for studio outtakes from The Stones (another band that *really* needs to get on the reissue bonus tracks/outtakes/demos ball--"Exile" was OK, "Some Girls" was better, but they desperately need to do all the albums from 1965-71 in deluxe sets), Genesis, Led Zeppelin, etc.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  75
Initial post:  Jul 21, 2012
Latest post:  May 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions