Customer Discussions > Music forum

"Borrowed" Albums and Never Returned?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-13 of 13 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 15, 2012 9:12:51 AM PST
Steve Vrana says:
I have more than 8,000 titles in my music collection--LP's, cassettes and CD's. Ever since I bought my first album (MEET THE BEATLES) in 1964, I have been protective of my collection. During that time, I have only had an issue with three titles:

1.) Bob Marley's SONGS OF FREEDOM box set: I made the mistake of leaving it in my classroom. Unfortunately, one of my students must have been a Bob Marley Fan.

2.) Kitaro's SILK ROAD: I loaned this to one of my Journalism students to review in our school newspaper. I got it back 24 years later when his daughter took my class last year!

3.) The Dave Clark Five's COAST TO COAST: I played in a garage band in high school. I loaned this album to the drummer 43 years ago. It was one of the first five LP's I ever bought. I haven't seen it since.....until TODAY! Amazon.com has a listing for the vinyl edition of this album. The image is MY ALBUM COVER! That's my signature in the upper left-hand corner. Fortunately, I currently own a Bits-and-Pieces Records unauthorized version of nearly all the DC5's albums, and I'm pretty sure my original vinyl has a lot of surface noise on it by now. (Besides, I borrowed his Buffalo Springfield RETROSPECTIVE and haven't returned it. I consider us even.)

So, how 'bout anybody else? Have you ever borrowed an album and never returned it? Anyone ever borrow something indefinitely from you?

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:09:09 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 16, 2012 8:09:05 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 10:40:00 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
My original cassette copy of Madonna's 'Immaculate Collection.' My older sister borrowed it and then let a friend borrow it -- I got the case back but never saw the tape again. I ended up buying it on CD several years later.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 11:44:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 15, 2012 11:45:50 AM PST
It was 1990, BK (arrested on FOX TV famous car chases IV) was looking at my CD's and 'borrowed' five of em' and there was no-way I was gonna ever see them again.

I lost: "Famous Last Words" ~ Supertramp
"Black & Blue" & "Let It Bleed" ~ Rolling Stones, and two others I purchased in the UK between 1985-1988 and I have since replaced them. And, it all does come clean in the wash as he couldn't take CD's or cassettes with him when he went to prison anyway!

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 12:06:22 PM PST
B-Jak says:
I had a friend of my then girlfriend's who was laid up in the hospital without anything but TV for entertainment, something he wasn't too interested in. He requested some music so I pulled together a box of cassettes I thought he might like, and she brought it in to him. Well, I don't know how out of it due to medication he was, but he claims he never got the tapes. I can remember a couple of cassettes that were irreplacable, a collection of obscure ska tracks and another of blues. Now, I just burn copies if someone requests an album of mine.

Posted on Dec 15, 2012 9:15:32 PM PST
A customer says:
"one of my students must have been a Bob Marley Fan"

Thank you for not making the dubious implication that weed smokers are thieves. Oops.

I loaned all my Eminem albums -- including the bootleg of Infinite I had acquired by some miracle -- to a guy a few years ago; never saw or heard from him again.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:51:20 AM PST
I had an experience with a guy in my dad's house who brought me over a box of albums. While I was looking through his Lps to see if any were worth buying, the guy opened up my box of Johnny Cash Sun 45s (I had them all, including #295 picture sleeve and some Eps) and the @#$%& palmed my mint copy of Sun 376 and walked off with it. I learned to be more careful about what I exposed to folks I didn't know that well.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 5:56:29 AM PST
I have several female friends and women I've dated that I let borrow my stuff. All but one never returned any of it. I once let a female friend borrow Stone Temple Pilots' album "Purple"...and she moved away a week later...

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:08:06 PM PDT
I bought the Bob Marley boxset in the early 1990's and my then-girlfriend wanted to keep it at her house. Never saw that set again and when I went to a record store a few years later to replace it....The box had shrunk and it's still got the same great music but that (now) tiny booklet really bites.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 6:52:13 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Loaned two students respectively:
Violent Femmes: Expanded S/T & Tenacious D. Live at Largo (bootleg)
Stoned Immaculate: Doors Tribute & Jet Black Factory: The Uncrossing

Got newish copies of The Femmes and JBF. The joke wore thin RE: Tenacious D. and I downloaded the one song I liked off that Doors tribute (the "duet" with John Lee Hooker on "Roadhouse Blues")

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:25:25 PM PDT
bandman says:
A friend of mine permanently borrowed my CD of Joni Mitchell "Court and Spark" - I never saw him again.

Posted on Jun 3, 2013 7:44:01 PM PDT
My Morley Wah/Volume pedal to my high school buudy in Pacifica. And i wish i had it back. Oh well, hope you dug it. Rock on..

Posted on Jun 19, 2013 6:07:05 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
My Crosby/Nash "Wind On The Water" was taken by a girl that wanted to live on my couch and I gave up the record in the hope that she would go away...and she did!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  13
Initial post:  Dec 15, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 19, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions