Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Drowners Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Music forum

What artist or group deserves a box set, but hasn't seen one released?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 145 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 6, 2012 10:13:45 AM PDT
Just a spin on another boxed set topic....can't figure out why Laura Nyro hasn't had a boxed set released...talking 'bout a real boxed set, not the very skimpy and totally inadequate 2 disc "Stoned Soul Picnic - Best of". She is a Music Hall of Famer, wrote hits for many artists, has about a dozen separate individual releases out, seems to have a multi-generation rabid cult following...What gives?

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 10:53:25 AM PDT
Eddie H. says:
Tommy James/Tommy james and the Shondells

The Rascals-(not one from Rhino Handmade!)

George Harrsion

Paul McCartney

Todd Rungdren and Todd Rundgren/Utopia

Just to name a few

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 2:16:13 PM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
maybe a bit off the beam...

What about a set of key soundtrack themes from Hitchcock films? Or John Williams themes? A box set of tracks from the old Command Records label (60s easy listening)? Or the old Firestone/True Value Christmas LPs?

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 4:56:11 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 6, 2012 4:56:38 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
Dire Straits
Cowboy Junkies
Isaac Hayes
Pat Metheny
Gary Burton
Bob Seger
Chris Isaak
Bill Cosby
10,000 Maniacs (More than the 2-cd set Campfire Songs)
Michael Hedges
Dire Straits

Others...

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:17:49 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
MCCartney is releasing his catalog slowing in many configurations, but not "a la carte" so you are forced to buy things you don't want in order to get the things you do want (e.g., Ram).

George Martin has a 6-CD set of material that he produced. I found it surprisingly good.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:37:48 PM PDT
Steve Vrana says:
Here's a few off the top of my head:

Leo Kottke
Oregon
Nitty Gritty Dirt Band
Doc Watson (his post-Vanguard years)
Tony Rice
Hot Rize/Red Knuckles & The Trailblazers
Larry Coryell
Fabulous Thunderbirds
Dave Edmunds
Roger McGuinn (The "Folk Den Project" doesn't count.)
Elvis Costello

....and I second the motion on Paul McCartney and Pat Metheny

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:38:44 PM PDT
Dinah Washington deserves one, if there isn't one out there already.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 5:57:58 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Steve, you are a man of eclectic tastes!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 6:58:48 PM PDT
Steve Vrana says:
Dr. Mikey, yeah, but I'm not holding my breath for a McCartney box set. (What a disappointment WINGSPAN was!) Seems Macca is content to slowly release rarities piecemeal on his special edition re-releases. He still has eight albums from the seventies waiting to be re-released and six more from the eighties. He'll have to live to be a hundred to get through his catalog at the rate he's going. He can't be doing it for the money. So why doesn't he just put out a massive box set? I'm thinking about a dozen CDs should cover it.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:14:34 PM PDT
MJEH says:
I third the motion on McCartney, but as someone already stated, he's re-releasing his individual catalog titles as "box sets". I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

And when in the h-e-double hockeysticks is Bob Seger going to go through his 45+ years of unreleased and demo titles so I can finally have a reason to actually BUY a CD set again...?!?!?!

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:27:53 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Yes, Steve, I know what you mean. I wanted the remastered Ram (plus bonus cuts), Thrillington, and the mono Ram, but I could not get these separately. I would have to buy the box set with 4 CDs, the DVD, and the book and lithographs to get what I wanted. I didn't want to spend $90+ for all this, so ended up with only the remastered Ram and bonus disc. It was not a bad price, but why could I not get Thrillington and the mono Ram (except on an expensive mono vinyl record) w/o buying the whole package? And you are right: we are just at the beginning of his catalog (although he did release McCarney II with the first McCartney, and there are how many versions of Band on the Run now?)

You know, Paul may think he is going to live to be a hundred (and I wouldn't bet against it), but it would be nice to have all the stuff come out faster and be able to buy what one wants. It's not like I'm asking him to sacrifice his artistic integrity by offering individual songs via download. I don't pick and choose songs to download, and I support Pink Floyd's idea that an album is a work of art that should not be dissected into one's preferences. Otherwise we become victims of our own tastes and do not grow as individuals unless we make an effort to uinderstand the artists. But it would make sense to be able to buy complete albums with some bonuses thrown in w/o having to spend megabucks on huge packages or wait forever for a remastering of the catalog.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 7:34:06 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
More:

Dire Straits
Blondie
Bread
JJ Cale
Jackson Browne
Marshall Crenshaw
Nanci Griffith
Eurythmics
Joe Walsh (At least a comprehensive 2-cd career-spanning set)
Steppenwolf
Boz Scaggs
John Hiatt
Aaron Neville/Neville Bros
John Abercrombie
George Benson
Lucinda Williams
Mary Chapin Carpenter
Rosanne Cash
Herb Alpert (TJB and solo...The gentleman has incredible talent)
REO Speedwagon
Bonnie Raitt
Billy Joe Shaver
Van Morrison

And others...

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 8:04:03 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I'd like to see a Bad Company box. Beside the Original Bad Company Anthology there really has not been a lot of b-sides or unreleased stuff. They've release a lot recent live albums and would love to see an official release of the 1976 Live in Albuequerque CD that was out briefly a few years back which I was lucky enough to get before it was pulled. There must be more demos and live recordings from the early days out there. Paul Rodgers is quite picky about what he will auhorize.

Free, which already has a box called Songs of Yesterday is in discussion about a massive 18 disc box to include all original albums and unreleased and live stuff. If Rodgers, Fraser and Kirke authorize the Free box, maybe a Bad Company box will follow.

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 8:15:42 PM PDT
Steve Vrana says:
Here's my final kvetch about a McCartney box set. I still have a 45 rpm copy of "Give Ireland Back tot the Irish," but it wasn't included on WINGSPAN. It was his most political single, and only reached No. 21 in 1972. But except for an expanded import of WILD LIFE (now out of print), it has never appeared on CD. I already own all of his solo CDs. What I want is a box set of rarities, B-sides, non-album singles, live tracks, and demos without having to buy his entire catalog all over again. His 70s and 80s stuff I already had on vinyl, then I replaced it CDs; and now I have to buy it AGAIN to get the previously unreleased stuff? I'm probably going to go ahead and buy some of it, but I can't afford to buy it all--especially the pricey 4-CD/DVD sets. (At least they're cheaper than Pink Floyd's "Immersion" sets!)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 6, 2012 8:40:36 PM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
I'm talkin' full blown box sets, 4+ discs, rarities, live stuff, outtakes, the works. Many of these acts
BOC/Edmunds/Geils) have recieved the 2 disc anthology treatment. The Groundhogs and Trower
recently have released multi disc sets featuring their work for Liberty (Groundhogs) & Chrysalis,
but with very little bonus content, and the most skeletal booklets.
Be Bop Deluxe now has a similar set featuring their Harvest studio albums, with quite a bit of bonus
material, but not the "Live In The Air Age" album.

Blue Oyster Cult (though I've heard there's one in the works)
Rory Gallagher
Procol Harum
The Pretty Things
The J. Geils Band
Dave Edmunds
The Groundhogs
Robin Trower

Posted on Jul 6, 2012 8:41:12 PM PDT
Tissy says:
Os Mutantes

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 4:28:22 AM PDT
Working Man says:
I don't know if this counts but Rory Gallagher has a nice five disc set of original albums, this is was a great deal for me as I didn't have any Rory on CD until this buy.

Original Album Classics

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 4:32:57 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Trower also has two box sets. Both include complete albums plus a few bonus cuts.

Farther On Up The Road: The Chrysalis Years 1977-83

A Tale Untold: The Chrysalis Years (1973-1976)

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 4:59:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 5:00:30 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
Laura Nyro does deserve a proper boxed set. However, I do think Stoned Soul Picnic (now repackaged as The Essential Laura Nyro) is one of the best two-disc greatest-hits collections on the market, on par with Neil Young's Decade or Blue Oyster Cult's Workshop of the Telescopes. In fact, I bought a new copy of Stoned Soul Picnic last year because my old copy from 1997 is so dog-eared.

These artists need a proper boxed set of their studio material:

AC/DC (probably won't ever happen -- this band is a stickler for not doing greatest-hits sets)
Metallica (as above)
Bryan Adams
Tori Amos
Black Sabbath (Black Box doesn't count -- it's a collection of the albums, not a compilation, and not comprehensive -- excludes the Dio, Gillan and Martin years)
Blue Oyster Cult (yes, word has it there will be one released this year, though I hope it wouldn't be as patchy as BOC's last few studio releases)
Blue Rodeo
Mariah Carey
Phil Collins
Dr. Dre
Lisa Germano
PJ Harvey
Janet Jackson
Daniel Lanois
Madonna
Nine Inch Nails
Pearl Jam
Prince
Queensryche
Radiohead
R.E.M.
Rush
Sleater-Kinney
Bruce Springsteen
U2
Van Halen
Suzanne Vega
Frank Zappa

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 5:17:20 AM PDT
Galley says:
The word on the street is that the Blue Öyster Cult boxed set will be remastered editions of all of their Columbia albums, just like Cheap Trick and Kansas have.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:42:30 AM PDT
Bob Bykowski says:
They had one that was pretty fine but is now out-of-print, and could use an update: The MC5.

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 8:53:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 8:56:32 AM PDT
MJEH says:
Blondie - In addition to a few 2-CD collections, there's also a collection of their singles. I think it's an import. It includes non-LP B-sides and long versions (Heart of Glass/Call Me/Rapture).

Joe Walsh (At least a comprehensive 2-cd career-spanning set) - JW already released a 2-CD set in 1995 called "Look What I Did". It's pretty comprehensive.

Boz Scaggs - BS has a pretty cool 2-CD set called "My Time: Anthology" released in 1997.

Madonna - I have a feeling Warner Bros. is cooking up a nice set now that she's left them. I think "Celebration" was just to capitalize on her leaving.

Prince - What about the 3-CD "Hits" collection from 1993...?

Bruce Springsteen - "Tracks" from 1998...?

And I'm definitely on board for these:

U2
Van Halen
Jackson Browne
Phil Collins

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 9:06:17 AM PDT
Definitely want box sets by Trower , Rory gallagher, and Procul harum and lawd yes Pretty Things !

Posted on Jul 7, 2012 9:16:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 10:19:45 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Prince - What about the 3-CD "Hits" collection from 1993...?

Not a boxed set. It was two discs of hits and one disc of rarities -- basically a two-CD set with one bonus disc. Three-CD boxed sets exist, but Prince's output was so large that even in 1993 he could easily have had a four-disc boxed set *without* B-sides. Practically all Prince fans agreed that The Hits/The B-Sides did a very scanty job of representing Prince's output up to that time. Jefferson Airplane's 1992 three-disc set, on the other hand, was more representative because the band's oeuvre was smaller.

> Bruce Springsteen - "Tracks" from 1998...?

All rarities, no studio tracks, and not a single major Springsteen hit in the whole package. Yes, format-wise it was a boxed set, but creatively speaking a true boxed set has to represent the artist's studio output up to that point. It's supposed to be a package that allows a listener a good overview of an artist's career. In Springsteen's case, neither Tracks nor Live/1975-85 counts, just like Black Sabbath's Black Box and Pink Floyd's Shine On, which are just collections of studio albums, don't quite count. That's why the recent, lavish U2 remasters don't count, either, because you would still not get a good picture of the band's overall arc even if you listened to every track.

The Pink Floyd box is more borderline qualified because it did include every Pink Floyd album (except Piper at the Gates of Dawn, and The Division Bell, which hadn't been released at that time yet).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 7, 2012 10:25:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 7, 2012 10:25:41 AM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
Procol Harum has a boxed set.

John Hiatt (We've only seen a two disc set that was a glorified "Best of" with only 1 rarity).
Lyle Lovett
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  145
Initial post:  Jul 6, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 17, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions