Customer Discussions > Music forum

Best Sinatra Boxed Sets? Help Please

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 29, 2012 5:33:19 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 31, 2012 1:33:20 PM PDT
LKL says:
I'm trying to assemble the best overview of Sinatra's career, for as reasonable a price as I can. Unfortunately my price restrictions automatically leave out the big complete sets.
Here is my proposed lineup:

The Essential Frank Sinatra with the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra (2CD)
Best of the Columbia Years (1943-1952) (4CD)
Complete Capitol Singles Collection (4CD)
Capitol Records Concept Albums (The 14 disc Concept set with 189 tracks)
Frank Sinatra: The Reprise Collection (4CD)
Sinatra in Hollywood 1940-1964 (6CD)

I already own the Sinatra/Dorsey set and I also own "The Capitol Years" 3 disc boxed set. My main question involves his Capitol era. Without spending hours cross-referencing and comparing track listings from these three Capitol sets - Capitol Years, Capitol Singles, and Concept Albums - how much repetition is there between those three sets? I think there is a good amount of it between "Capitol Years" and the other two, that is why I am considering replacing it with the other two. Can anyone enlighten me on this, and any other thoughts on my lineup are welcome.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 10:01:35 PM PST
A. Strong says:
The 20 disc set from 1995 was over $500.00 when I purchased it late 1996 and it is still being sold at that price and it's well worth the money.
"The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings - Deluxe Edition" it is housed a brown leather box with book.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:31:10 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
I can't claim to be any kind of expert on the man, but I'd rank 'In The Wee Small Hours' as one of the best records of all time, with others from the late '50s - 'Only For The Lonely', 'No One Cares' - not far behind. Seems pining for Ava Gardner helped Sinatra find his true muse. I have the Capitol Singles and Concept Albums boxes. The latter is a STEAL at roughly $45 and has the individual albums in cardboard 'mini Lp' sleeves. This is the motherlode...

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 5:08:38 AM PST
Chazzzbo says:
I own the Sinatra/Dorsey (2cd) set, "The Capitol Years (3CD)" set, as well as the "Reprise Collection (4cd)" set; bought them all used at a substantial discount over new, and it seems to include pretty much anything you'd want to hear from the legend.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Women Of Country Music 216 1 hour ago
The "Greatest" Guitar Riff? 52 1 hour ago
Better songwriter: John LENNON or Ray DAVIES? 208 1 hour ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 3515 1 hour ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1930 2 hours ago
Make an album of nothing but title tracks... 48 2 hours ago
You'd think it would be easy to list 5 favorite albums from the 60's but... 29 2 hours ago
Favourite Female Artists 1328 5 hours ago
Keith Moon---John Bonham---Bill Ward 43 5 hours ago
More Dylan vs Beatles : What was the bigger "shakeup" - Dylan going Electric (Highway 61 Revisited) or the Fabs fthrowing aside "Beatlemania" and turning the creative limits of the studio upside down (Strawberry Fields Forever / Pepper)? 141 5 hours ago
The Rolling Stones-- Let It Bleed....The Who--Who's Next..Battle Rock Royalty WOW!! 345 6 hours ago
Pork and the Havana Ducks 123 9 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jul 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 15, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions