Customer Discussions > Music forum

Artist or Band that you Love one album only

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 63 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jan 23, 2013 2:55:05 PM PST
A customer says:
Blunted on Reality is arguably superior to The Score. It depends on who you ask.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:12:44 AM PST
Keith Sweat- Make It Last Forever
After Teddy Riley stopped working with him, I lost interest. Besides if you've heard one Keith Sweat album, you've heard them all.

Def Leppard- Hysteria
I've owned other albums by them, but this is the only album from them that I cared to hear.

The Fugees- The Score
If you've heard their first album "Blunted On Reality", it's fairly easy to understand why this is the only album everyone owns.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 2:08:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 2:21:35 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Alive! - Kiss

Every once in a blue moon I give this a blast for some reason - probably more of a guilty pleasure. Own nothing else by Kiss and have never wanted to.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 6:04:48 PM PST
Interesting question...for Me, it would be "Days of Future Passed" by the Moody Blues. It's a great early progressive album that truly melded Classical and Rock together, but I do not own any of their other albums. I am familiar with some of their songs I've heard on the radio, but that's it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 20, 2013 9:52:53 AM PST
CD Lover says:
I completely agree with Lauren here, Zaplightning. Roxy Music is one of my top ten musical artists of all-time, and it all started for me with "Siren". I love everything they've ever done, but "Country Life" and "Stranded" are logical progressions from "Siren"; you can then proceed further if you like what you've heard. My personal favorite is "Manifesto" (which a lot of Roxy fans consider to be their worst), but that gets extremely experimental, as do "Roxy Music" and "For Your Pleasure".

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 9:45:00 AM PST
CD Lover says:
Coldplay - "A Rush of Blood to the Head"

Oh, I know I'm gonna get it from the Coldplay haters, but I love that album. I thought their debut was okay; "A Rush..." was their second album and I think it's absolutely brilliant from beginning to end. Each successive album after that has had a decent song or two, but they've reached a point with their latest album where I find them to be largely unlistenable. (Particularly egregious is "Paradise", which I think is purely awful.)

None of this detracts, however, from "A Rush of Blood to the Head", which I still go back and listen to quite a bit. It stands as the one shining moment for a band that has largely disappointed me ever since.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 11:37:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 20, 2013 10:38:12 PM PST
@Barry Smith - the Hyde Park concert was released on DVD, and of course there was the album (and video) of Clapton/Winwood Live At MSG if that could count.

my own partial list (several are eponymous, in which case I don't repeat the name):
The Bears
Planet P Project - Pink World
Alice Cooper - Billion Dollar Babies
Indio - Big Harvest
Treat Her Right
Willie Dixon - I Am The Blues
America
Daniel Lanois - Acadie
Steppenwolf
Todd Rundgren - Faithful

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 9:22:05 PM PST
gusula says:
The Cult - Ceremony

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:24:07 PM PST
A customer says:
"Jagged Little Pill"

This thing was unstoppable. This was the soundtrack to my '95. To my '95 AND my '96, actually.

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily
Richard Marx - Hold on to the Nights

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:01:17 PM PST
Jevrick says:
I'm probably alone here, but "Boy" by U2 is the only album of theirs I love. It's the least pretentious one and they were never that consistent again.

"Damn The Torpedoes" by Tom Petty. I remember buying "Hard Promises" and being totally disappointed. After that, I never bought another Petty album again.

Others include:

"Zenyatta Mondatta" by The Police
"Electric Warrior" by T-Rex
"New Traditionalists" by Devo
"Post" by Bjork
"Something/Anything" by Todd Rundgren
"More Fun In The New World" by X
"Kiko" by Los Lobos
"Lovelife" by Lush

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 3:26:08 PM PST
Guns 'N Roses - "Appetite For Destruction"
This band's debut was the only one of theirs I thought was worth a toss, and even it hasn't really stood the test of time all that well. I do still enjoy the singles, though, occasionally.

Huey Lewis & the News - "Sports"
There were a few just OK singles on either side of this release, but the most essential stuff is pretty much all here, and it almost plays like a "best-of" anyway.

Cyndi Lauper - "She's So Unusual"
Although she had some stellar singles after this (i.e. "True Colors" and "The Goonies 'R Good Enough"), the albums were not cohesive enough for me to seek them out, and I gather the OP meant non-compilation albums as a whole.

Alanis Morissette - "Jagged Little Pill"
Before this she was rather bland, after this she was rather redundant.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 11:43:08 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2013 11:43:44 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
Is This It? - The Strokes. Seems it was indeed.

Derivative, but still a great and much needed album at the time. But then? Meh!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:59:02 PM PST
Chet Fakir says:
Gang Of Four - Entertainment. Every other album after this one was by comparison a disappointment.
The Clash - The Clash. Didn't love any album after this one including London Calling.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:27:22 PM PST
tmoore says:
Interesting about Blood Sweat and Tears - I have a completely opposite perspective than BFD - I can't stand Child is Father to the Man; the only album I like from them is the self-titled one with the three big 1969 singles.

Wrt Randy Newman, I only like "12 Songs" as a complete listening experience.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 5:33:57 PM PST
B L T says:
Big Brother and the Holding Company - "Cheap Thrills"
Black Oak Arkansas - "Black Oak Arkansas"
Eagles - "Desperado"
Dan Fogelberg - "Captured Angel"
Zephyr - "Sunset Ride"
Joe Cocker - "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"
Merle Haggard - "Back to the Barrooms"
Willie Nelson - "Red Headed Stranger"

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:09:02 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
"Blind Faith" by Blind Faith, the band with Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Steve Winwood. This album was a classic but for some reason I just can't get into their other albums!!

(Oh yes! There were no other albums!)

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 7:20:22 AM PST
vivazappa says:
The live REO record is my favorite!
But I also dig Tuna Fish so I can't say I only like one REO.
I need to get REO 2 and the one with Storm on it.

Kansas-Left Overture

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 6:34:28 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 6:40:44 AM PST
Kil Roi says:
REO TWO by Reo Speedwagon

REO TWO, released in 1972, rises far above anything this chameleon band ever did. Although they drew a large, screaming fan base in their maturing years, REO's crooner period was disappointing at best. For them, however, it rung the cash register.

Their self-titled first album in 1971 was decent. Consider on that LP, they wrote songs with such titles as "Five Men Were Killed Today", "Dead at Last" and "Prison Women." Contrast those with "Keep on Loving You" and "Can't Fight This Feeling", and other high school prom anthems of the late 70s and 80s.

"Lost in a Dream" and "Riding the Storm Out" followed REO TWO, but neither of those captured the magic, energy and charm of REO TWO.

It was downhill--fast--after that. Roll with the changes? Indeed they did.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 2:26:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 2:27:01 AM PST
W. Grieve says:
Dexys Midnight Runners..'Searching for the Young Soul Rebels '.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:26:05 AM PST
In Court Of Crimson King-King Crimson

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 12:40:17 PM PST
Eminem- The Marshall Mathers LP
UNKLE- Psyence Fiction

Posted on Jan 17, 2013 6:44:43 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I can't quite say Boston since I like about 1/2 of Don't Look Back and Cool the Engines from Stage III...

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 2:13:02 PM PST
J. Coco says:
The Knack - "Get The Knack"

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:03:00 PM PST
MarcoVG4 says:
A friend once asked if he could borrow Boston's first album. When I handed it to him, he asked if I also had Boston's Greatest Hits. I said no, then he said, "That's ok, the first album is pretty much the greatest hits album too."

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:32:37 AM PST
Stratocaster, Boston is also a great pick. I agree as great as the first album was they just seemed to put out a waterdown version of the same album after that.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  38
Total posts:  63
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions