Customer Discussions > Music forum

A 1970 Album Matchup: The Beatles "Let It Be" or Led Zeppelin III

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 36 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 4, 2013 7:25:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 7:26:37 AM PST
Both these albums spent 4 weeks at #1 during the year 1970.

Myself, I'm definitely going with Led Zeppelin III. I just think it flows better as an "album". However, I think the Fab Four have my favorite song between the two with "The Long And Winding Road" (Yes, I love the Spector produced version... :)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:51:02 AM PST
MC says:
Good matchup, I prefer LZIII, but have found over the past few years that Let It Be has grown on me and I really enjoy the album.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:55:02 AM PST
I gotta go with Led Zep III. I have too many good memories of dropping acid and looking at the adjustable album cover while listening to the music.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 8:26:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 8:28:07 AM PST
Jeff,
It's interesting you pick these 2 albums. I'm a big fan of both groups. I find both of these albums disappointing. Led Zep 1 and 2 are classic albums. I love almost every songs on those albums. IMO, Led Zep III had a few good songs, but also a number of stinkers. "Abbey Road" is one of my favorite Beatle Albums, and "Let It Be" was a big let down. It's my least favorite Beatle album. Again, it has some good songs, but also not so good ones.
John

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:33:55 AM PST
Music Lover says:
Zep III

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:46:50 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 8:47:42 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Let It Be is my favorite Beatles record.

"III was just awright for me."
--Randy Jackson somewhere in Hollywood suking wind on Idol

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:57:32 AM PST
ED S. says:
"Let It Be"...The worst Beatle album. I bought led "Zeppelin III" and found it unlistenable. I told all my friends about my feelings about "Led ZeppelinIII", and my friends were dismayed and shocked. "Led Zeppelin III rocks!" they told me. I didn't get it and still don't.
"The Immigrants Song"...doesn't that start off with a Viking love call?
Both albums are very weak.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:31:25 AM PST
Let It Be is my favorite Beatles record.

The worst Beatle album is Beatles For Sale

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 9:35:26 AM PST
My least favorite release from the mighty Zep is III. It has a few songs that I like but I don't ever get the urge to listen very often. When I do listen, I examine every song trying to figure out why I don't get it. I am a fan of Let It Be. I saw the movie during its first run, I was 11. The Long and Winding Road and Let It Be are enough for me to put it over the top of Zep III.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 10:55:13 AM PST
Ed,
It sounds like you and I agree.
John

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:00:10 AM PST
bozokarl says:
Zeppelin III

Side 2 of Zeppelin III is one of my all time favorite album sides

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:01:19 AM PST
MC says:
I agree wholeheartedly !

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:06:18 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
Jeff,
I agree 100%. III was always my favourite Led Zeppelin album and Let it Be was pretty insubstantial. (Still, it WAS The Beatles after all, so it was relatively weak but still great.)

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:32:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 11:33:10 AM PST
Let It Be--weak for The Beatles, but that still means it's pretty darn good. Who can deny an album with "Two Of Us", "Across The Universe", "I've Got A Feeling", and the title track? B+

Led Zeppelin III--a vastly underrated album, although it's received some re-appraisal in recent years. One of their best. A-

The nod goes to "III".

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 4, 2013 11:44:32 AM PST
ED S. says:
I thought that this might stir up a small storm. Zep III was gods gift to the rock world to all my friends. I thought, "The Immigrants Song" just begged to be TURNED DOWN when it came over the car radio. This is the third biggest selling Zep album on Amazon. It has tons of followers. It has got to be me. I do not get it.

"Ah e ahhhhhh
A e ahhhhhh
Well he comes from the land of the ice and snow"..... does nothing but leave me cold.

That having been said, I do have a vinyl "Let It Be" in exceptional shape. It is in such good shape because it has hardly been played! I love the Beatles and never got the CD of this album.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:50:16 AM PST
MC says:
ED - That's cool man, there are some incredibly popular albums that I just can't stand or understand.... like Boston

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 11:50:40 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 4, 2013 11:52:26 AM PST
@ED S: well, if you don't like 'em you don't like 'em, simple as that. I had called "III" underrated, as I had heard it was not well-received by fans or critics at the time who wanted "Zep II Revisted". Obviously you had a different experience. When "III" is discussed on these forums (such as the recent LZ review thread on the classic rock forum), the album receives pretty split votes between those who think it's one of their finest and those who think it's one of the weakest. The same thing seems to be happening on this thread, albeit with a few more votes for it than against it.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 7:47:28 PM PST
I like both albums. But Let It Be gets the edge.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:10:16 PM PST
Working Man says:
Wow, this is an interesting matchup. As a pre-teen with two teenage sisters all I heard was the Beatles. Let it Be actually was the first Beatle album I owned (all the rest were my sisters') so it was special to me. However, I was only 11 in 1970 and as the 70's progressed and I hit my teens it was Led Zeppelin that became my favorite. At the time I was into the hard rocking sound of Zeppelin and LZ III was a bit of a dissappointment, though I've come to appreciate it more now.

I will have to go with the Beatles on this one though, since Let it Be had a larger impact on me than LZ III.

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 8:34:43 PM PST
Hinch says:
Easy choice! My least favorite Beatles album, LET IT BE, over one of my least favorite Zep albums, III. I think II is my least favorite other than CODA, but does that one count?

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:18:35 AM PST
Led Zeppelin III wins this battle but, neither album matches the greatness of Black Sabbath's 2 1970 releases-Black Sabbath and Paranoid or Deep Purples In Rock. Zep III not one of my favorite albums of theirs. Since Ive Been Loving You and Tangerine are 2 of my favorite Zep songs.

Posted on Mar 5, 2013 1:33:45 AM PST
@Stephen Mcnary: "Tangerine"? Wow, you have a gentle side after all! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 9:54:04 AM PST
Easy peasy, Let It Be.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:13:32 PM PST
Topper-I guess maybe you havent seen some of my Favorite lists. Songs like Seasons Of Wither(Aerosmith), Try Me and Love To Love(UFO) are favorites even though 95% or more are the rockers. A little change of pace is good as long as its not too much and not too often.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 5, 2013 8:32:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 5, 2013 8:34:51 PM PST
Working Man says:
I still like "Coda", I don't know why it get's dumped on so much. My least favorite Zep album is "In Through the Out Door". It's a nice album but just not edgy enough for me.

Black Sabbath's debut, "Paranoid" and Deep Purple's "In Rock" are also favorites of mine and I would have to agree with Stephen as I like them better than LZ III and "Let it Be".

To be honest, I find it hard to compare the Beatles with Led Zeppelin or Black Sabbath or Deep Purple.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  36
Initial post:  Mar 4, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions