Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden UP3 $5 Off Fire TV Stick Labor Day Sale in Wine Shop Popular Services hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Labor Day Savings with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Learn more
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Massive Johnny Cash boxset on the way!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 20, 2012 5:31:37 PM PDT
James Riley says:
62 CD's of Johnny Cash bliss! http://rockabillynblues.blogspot.com/2012/08/johnny-cash-complete-columbia-album.html

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2012 6:01:13 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Wow! Nice collection! I see a few albums I've never heard of before. I've got quite a few of his Columbia albums on either vinyl or cd.

I'd love to have the set but it's out of my price range.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 8:04:37 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 8:08:16 AM PDT
Lighten Up says:
How do you know that the money they make on things like this doesn't go into their budget for promoting living country singers?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 8:11:41 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
Because they haven't signed any of those singers to their label.

Remember, they didn't promote Cash when he was alive either.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 21, 2012 1:18:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 1:18:34 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Maybe they're trying to make back some of the money they lost after they dropped him before he made all those great Americana recordings and went to the top again.

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 1:21:56 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
Touche' Hinch!

Posted on Aug 21, 2012 3:13:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 21, 2012 3:13:31 PM PDT
The Complete Columbia Album Collection
is the amazon link if one wants to preorder.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 1:01:17 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Thanks you sir!!

:-)

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 3:19:09 AM PDT
Geezerguy says:
C. Batty says:
Dear Country Music Establishment:

Johnny Cash is dead. Let it go. Spend 1/10 of this time, money and energy on developing and promoting living country singers.

I don't understand your comment at all. It's somehow wrong to buy the works of dead artists? If some young country artist were to die tonight we'd be wrong to buy his/her music tomorrow?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 6:03:54 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
Are you having trouble buying Johnny Cash's music now? Every single song in this box set is available and has been released mutliple times. To my way of thinking, its a waste of time and resources for the music industry to spend this much money and energy trying to get me to buy new copies of music I already own. They need to be working to find me new music.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 6:55:05 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
Columbia has been releasing these complete box sets featuring several artists, notably the Byrds, ELO and others. But this is one BIG box of Cash for a lot of cash. I'll have to pass.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:08:40 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
$269 on Amazon

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 8:34:03 AM PDT
crater face says:
So this Box set contains not one note of previously unavailable material? his hardcore fans have it all already and a casual fan is not going to drop $269 on it, who is the audience for this?

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 9:58:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 10:02:56 AM PDT
S. O'Brien says:
I'm all for them releasing as much of Johnny Cash's music as possible. I hope they never stop promoting Johnny Cash. It says in this article 35 albums will be released on cd for the first time.
http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/08/63-disc-johnny-cash-box-set-due-in-october/

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2012 12:41:44 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 12:46:52 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Not everyone has a collection of Johnny, much less every Columbia album. 62 albums bought separately for at least 10 bucks each? I'm not sure how available they all are and at what price. Im a longtime big Johnny Cash fan and there are several in the set Ive never heard of. The set sounds like a great deal for the price. Not everyone is on a crusade because their favorite barely known artists are not being promoted. Major labels today only promote who they think will sell millions.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 12:58:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2012 1:01:52 PM PDT
Hinch says:
62 cds at 269 is a little over 4 bucks each. Not a bad deal if you have the money to spare. I dont. If I did Id rather spend my money on great old music like Johnny Cash than what passes for good music today.

Posted on Aug 22, 2012 3:36:28 PM PDT
This BATTY PERSON has never heard Johnny's music. You poor soul. The music industry is quite savvy... they know what they are doing. Why would they try to promote a person who won't sell?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2012 1:41:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 4:06:35 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Rizzo

I think she would argue certain artists don't sell because they're not promoted. I somewhat agree someone has to be promoted to be known, but some artists will never be accepted or embraced by a wide audience regardless of how much they're promoted.

I'm sure we've all had artists we liked and wondered why the label didnt promote them rather than others we saw as less talented. I can think of a few myself, but no matter how much I complained to the record label, and praised the artist I liked, it didnt do any good.

Like all businesses, a music company's main goal is to make a profit. They're going to promote who they think will sell the most.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 3:53:08 AM PDT
C. Batty is correct in her thinking. If the music industry was so savvy, it wouldn't be in the tank. They would be thinking longterm instead of making a quick buck over the short term. Once upon a time, major labels signed artists and nurtured the ones they believed in over several albums. They offered tour support and national promotion. Those days, unfortunately, are gone. It's sad that a once-powerful label like Columbia is more interested in the catalogue of a dead artist rather than signing, nurturing, and promoting someone new. The artists are out there. It's up to the labels to find them and promote NEW music. The fact that they don't is a big reason why major labels are in trouble.

Major labels suck. People who still support them really are clueless.

Posted on Aug 23, 2012 4:04:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 23, 2012 4:05:24 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I don't "support" any label. If I hear something I like, which is very rare these days, I buy it, whether it's from a major label or an independent label. I don't care how many other people like it or don't like it. I follow my own taste. Businesses are there to make a profit. It's called capitalism.

Hank Williams Sr, Nat King Cole, Billy Holiday, Miles Davis, John Lennon, Elvis....all dead and all still sell.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 5:59:42 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
I have heard Johnny's music. I probably have most of these songs. I don't really need another way to buy them.

It does sound like you haven't heard of Fred Eaglesmith.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 6:01:36 AM PDT
C. Batty says:
I'm just on a crusade to hear great music. I get it sent to me in the mail. How is everyone else going to get it?

Posted on Aug 24, 2012 6:18:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 24, 2012 6:49:12 AM PDT
tmoore says:
I have a 3 CD Columbia collection of Cash (covering from 1958 until well into the '80s) that I bought in the '90s, and has all the Columbia songs I want with the exception of the late '60s prison albums. His Sun stuff I have through Sun. Also have at least the first American Recordings CD. That will suffice for me. I am currently trying to listen to ALL of my CDs and LPs (have no more tapes) and it will take me years (plural) to do that. I don't need another 62 CDs!!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 24, 2012 6:25:27 AM PDT
tmoore says:
Hinch - I like the old dead artists as well but I also consciously try to support the living ones. They are not all bad. Since you said "Elvis" - I know you mean Elvis Presley since he's dead. But I'll mention another Elvis. Elvis Costello is an example of a living artist who I didn't discover until 25 years after he appeared, and I am sorry I didn't "get" him sooner.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Aug 20, 2012
Latest post:  May 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions