Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums : Which 3 Albums Would Top Your List?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 146 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2013 10:09:03 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 10:12:22 AM PDT
The Top 3 on Rolling Stone's list are:

#1 Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
#2 Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
#3 Revolver - The Beatles

I actually agree with two of the three. I think my Top 3 would be:

#1 Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys
#2 Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band - The Beatles
#3 Purple Rain - Prince & The Revolution

These aren't necessarily the same thing as my "favorite" albums. Rather, I'm attempting to balance commercial success with "artistic merit", alongside my personal tastes. Loving all three about equally, I decided to simply rank them in order of when they were released.

If you were compiling the Top 500, which 3 top the list?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 10:19:53 AM PDT
Sgt Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band would be the only one of those in my top 30!

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:25:07 AM PDT
Well, at least that's a good one to have in the Top 30.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 10:27:46 AM PDT
#1 Rubber Soul - The Beatles
#2 Selling England By The Pound - Genesis
#3 Pet Sounds - The Beach Boys

With Rubber Soul there was no conscious attempt to be clever, daring, or experimental. It's just very straightforward melody, harmony, and rhythm without studio "tricks" to fall back on. I think it's the last Beatles album where all the songs were looked at as "common property" rather than John's song or Paul's song.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:30:11 AM PDT
"Rubber Soul" is a great record indeed. I think it's #5 on that Rolling Stone list.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:32:35 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:39:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 5:56:15 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Discounting favorites: Exile/Quadrophenia/Brick
1-Who's Next
2-Born to Run
3-Dark Side of the Moon

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 10:50:56 AM PDT
JBug says:
Definitely not Pet Sounds.

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 11:20:57 AM PDT
I think we had a top 3 favorite albums thread just recently. In any case, for the past twenty or so years mine have remained:

Revolver, The Beatles
The Notorious Byrd Brothers, The Byrds
After Bathing At Baxter's, Jefferson Airplane

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 1:15:38 PM PDT
None of those 3 would be on my Top 500. Knowing what Rolling Stone usually picks I would guess no more than 10 of their Top 500 would be on mine. My list for today is-

Live albums
1. Unleashed In The East-Judas Priest
2. Strangers In The Night-UFO
3. Made In Japan-Deep Purple

Studio albums
1. 7th Son Of A 7th Son-Iron Maiden
2. Rocks-Aerosmith
3. Bridge Of Sighs-Robin Trower

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:38:58 PM PDT
Grandpa Tom says:
I've been contemplating this post for about an hour, and my best nominations are as follows:

1-Graceland-Paul Simon
2-Days of Future Passed-Moody Blues
3-Mr. Tambourine Man-The Byrds

Jeff asked for 3, so I'm stopping here....

GT

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 3:42:22 PM PDT
Rob says:
1. Who's Next-The Who
2. Life In The Foodchain-Tonio K
3. Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere-Neil Young

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 7:26:56 PM PDT
Mine would be:

1. Crime of the Century - Supertramp
2. Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd
3. Abbey Road - The Beatles

These are as good as any, and My personal Favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:03:53 PM PDT
Mike EB says:
I remember when Rolling Stone first did a top 100 list like this in the late 80's and they had Sgt Pepper #1 and Nevermind the Bollocks Here's Sex Pistols at #2. It was a little shocking which i guess was the point. Revolver wasn't even on the 100. Then it became trendy to think of Revolver as the "Unrecognized Beatles Classic" and now it's up at number 3.

My top 3

Electric Ladyland
Zeppelins untitled 4th album
Appetite for Destruction

As hard as it is to except..The Beatles are slowly moving into the Elvis zone...an anitquitated curiosity from the past. I've actually had kid's in their 20's ask me...you actually consider The Beatles rocknroll?

The times they are a changing

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:14:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 19, 2013 6:36:44 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Sgt Pepper has to be recognized for its huge impact but it's to even in my Beatles top 3, much less top 3 from all artists... "The White Album" is the best Beatles album to me, but it's not quite as good as these:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
2. Queen - A Night at the Opera
3. Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?

Was real tough not to put "Who's Next" in there and I wouldn't argue (TOO much) with anyone that says it should replace the Queen or Hendrix, but much as I love "Who's Next", it does have 1-2 songs I tend to skip (out of only 9 total) whereas the 3 above I pretty much always listen to the whole thing...

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 8:16:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 8:17:57 PM PDT
@MikeEB: "Revolver" did very well in Paul Gambaccini's 1977 poll of rock critics, placing at #6. In 1987 it placed at #17, a slight drop but still not a bad placing. "Sgt.Pepper" topped the list both times. "Pet Sounds" made #12 on the 1977 list and #8 on the 1987 list, and now places exclusively at #1 or #2 on almost every recent critic's poll. "Revolver" never fails to make the top 3 now, either.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 8:54:26 PM PDT
Mike EB says:
Michael Topper

ahh yes now I remember. The 87 issue I'm thinking of was for the past 20 years only. 67-87 so albums like Bringing it All Back Home and Revolver were not on it. I dragged that issue around for years and years.

I love Rolling Stone for stearing towards music I may never have picked out myself...but it took me awhile to decide that they way over emphasis the influence of Beatles/Stones/ Dylan and later Springsteen. It's funny how off they were early on with acts like Zeppelin and Van Halen.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 9:05:31 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
With Rubber Soul and Revolver, it's nice to know WHICH version, US or UK....

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 9:31:57 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
@Rob:

I love it when someone mentions a favorite of mine that I've forgotten. The other day I wanted to hear Life in the Foodchain but couldn't remember the title OR Tonio's name. Only the great music. I still remember how I came to even know it. I was reading a music magazine, possibly the Stereo Review and it had its end of the year choices and listed Tonio's album as their best. I said "who"?. I mean, even back then, I was an inquisitive sort when it came to sniffing out anything that fell between the cracks but I'd missed that one. I quickly got a copy of it and listened and kept listening.

I'm convinced that we all could make dynamite lists of GREAT albums that most people don't even know exist. Tonio's surely belongs on that list.

Try the title song, "Life in the Foodchain"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHvSz6y9M4&playnext=1&list=PLA77F1B535F2BE9E7&feature=results_video

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 9:45:04 PM PDT
Three is too small a list.
It should be at least ten.
John

Posted on Mar 18, 2013 9:57:21 PM PDT
E. Dill says:
Ok, my 3 for right this minute....subject to change by whim....

1. Blonde on Blonde - B. Dylan (it could have been Highway 61 Revisited and/or Bringing It All Back Home)
2. Music From the Big Pink - The Band
3. After the Gold Rush - Neil Young

Yes, it seems quite odd for me to have a Top 3 without a Beatles album. I was torn between Sgt Peppers and The White Album (I never choose Rubber Soul or Revolver because the US/UK differences make me wonder what I'm choosing). I guess I chose the three I did because listening to them is like a narcotic to me. When I listen, they envelop me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 10:39:38 PM PDT
It's not really a short list...your list could be a Top 10 or Top 100, but something is gonna be 1,2, and 3. And that is the question :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 18, 2013 10:56:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 18, 2013 10:59:06 PM PDT
@E.Dill: "(I never choose Rubber Soul or Revolver because the US/UK differences make me wonder what I'm choosing)."

IMO only the UK albums should be considered (and yes, I am aware that the US "Rubber Soul" is pretty cool). These were the albums as the group themselves wanted them, as they were released in their home country. The UK versions have also been the "official" versions for the US market since 1987, which is over 25 years ago now. That means that millions of newer-generation American Beatle fans who did not grow up in the 60s or 70s, primarily know The Beatles from their UK versions now.

Also, while the US "Rubber Soul" might be a small debate considering the unusually good choices Capitol made in picking the songs for that one to give it a unified acoustic feel, the US "Revolver" seems a non-debate to me. I mean, it's exactly the same as the UK version, even in the running order, except that it's missing three songs (and three excellent songs, at that). Why you would refuse to consider "Revolver" in a list of favorite albums simply because it once, a long long time ago now, had a US version that omitted three tracks, I simply do not understand!

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 3:10:07 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
1. David Bowie - "Ziggy Stardust"
2. Roxy Music - "Roxy Music"
3. The Clash - "London Calling"

Posted on Mar 19, 2013 5:11:50 AM PDT
Picking only three albums is mighty tough but I'll try.
1) Abbey Road-The Beatles
2) In Search Of The Lost Chord-The Moody Blues
3) Highway 61 Revisited-Bob Dylan
Honerable mention Plastic Ono Band.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  146
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2013
Latest post:  Aug 23, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions