Customer Discussions > Music forum

Van Morrison is a JERK?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 131 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 21, 2009 10:00:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 10:47:35 AM PDT
2 cents says:
(No offense to his fans out there)

I just came across stuff that truly had me going wtf??

What do you think about "Web Sheriff" I believe it's called and Van Morrison using Web Sheriff to threaten and scare his fans into shutting down their fan websites? According to lawyers that know copyright laws and the web Web Sheriff had no legal right or ability to force websites to close and the websites weren't in violation of copyright laws. To illustrate the point a lawyer said Rolling Stone, which did a story on this, could not use a picture of Van Morrison for the article if Morrison was right. The fans complied and sites were shut down. In any case, what isn't in dispute is Van Morrison wants no unauthorized pictures of him on the internet and bullied his own fans into shutting down tribute sites.

Also -dont mean to get gossipy- but, saw a doc about former drummer for Bob Dylan Winston Watson who comes across as a real cool guy. He tells a story about how Van Morrison told Dylan that his drummer is no good and should be replaced --right in front of him and loud enough for him to hear it. Then awhile latter after no longer touring with Dylan Watson visited Dylan back stage and there was Van Morrison yet again who, according to Watson, made some rude comment directed apparently at him. Weird.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 10:18:17 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:39:19 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 10:53:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 10:54:34 AM PDT
2 cents says:
Well yeah. I mean what's interesting to me is that I certainly didn't set out to think Van Morrison is, as you put it, a a conceited, arrogant blowhard. But I came across this article in Rolling Stone that really offended me (it mentioned that #$%^ "Prince" also) and then there was this weird story about him in a documentary I saw. I then checked out some interviews and read a little about him and realized, Damn I HATE this guy. I rarely experience feeling disgust like that with a performer even if I think they suck.

Posted on May 21, 2009 11:40:41 AM PDT
Hoagie Mike says:
Hasn't V.M. always had a rep as a bit of a prickly pear?
Not nice to fans, arrogant, etc...?
Just what I heard thru the years.

Posted on May 21, 2009 11:50:14 AM PDT
Van is a COOL jerk. His music is awesome, and who cares what else he does.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 11:52:01 AM PDT
Get Van drunk, and he's a little teddy bear!

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 11:56:43 AM PDT
2 cents says:
I guess I care some. If a performer is a prick to his fans. Performers and artists aren't free to be total anti-social jerks, imo. Or they shouldn't be. I dont care how "cool" somebody is.

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:37:38 PM PDT
Performers have been jerks since time began. If we choose them on their social behaviors, we wouldn't have anyone. Nobody has to buy their music or attend their concerts. And I don't need the argument that "we put them where they are". Let them be jerks if they want.

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:51:03 PM PDT
Moon Mist says:
Sinatra was a jerk. Lennon was a jerk. Del Shannon was a jerk. Phil Spector is a jerk. You name the rapper/hip-hopper, he's a jerk. So Van Morrison is a jerk. He's still an angel compared to George Bush or Dick Cheney or Rush Limpballs or Sean Insanity or Bill O'Lielly. At least Morrison and other musicians/entertainers have been jerks without endangering the lives and/or poisoning the minds of millions.

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:52:53 PM PDT
Dr. Fresh says:
Elvis was not a jerk.

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:56:06 PM PDT
Moon Mist says:
Was too, was too!

Posted on May 21, 2009 3:59:49 PM PDT
Van Morrison has always been a grumpy curmudgeon. It's part of who he is.

As long as I don't have to talk to him, it has absolutely no bearing on how I appreciate him.

Johnny Lydon made a whole career out of hating his fans.

Posted on May 21, 2009 4:24:28 PM PDT
Val H. says:
To give some sort of balance to the Rolling Stone article (and while I haven't read it, it sounds just like Van!), I remember reading a story out of the UK a couple of years back when a couple planning to marry wrote to Van asking his permission to play one of his songs at their wedding. No problem to Van, he rolled up and sang it himself.

I also heard (from fans who were there) that at his recent Astral Weeks live concert, Van was seen to smile, and even to laugh. And he closed the show with "Gloria" - a long time since that one's been out of the cupboard.

I'll take Van, warts and all, anyday. His music always lifts me up.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 5:00:46 PM PDT
Sooz says:
Valerie,

I was at the Astral Weeks show at the Greek Theater in Berkeley, CA May 2. It did seem as though Morrison was having a good time, smiling and laughing, "stretching" some of the songs with his wonderful band members. He even made a comment or two. The closing number was in fact "Gloria". He strode off the stage singing in the wireless mic, handed it off to someone and his limo pulled out before the band was finished playing. No encore, but none needed. It was really a great night!

On his website there is a quote "The only thing I love is the music. The rest of it is pure s***."

That's OK with me. The music is enough.

Posted on May 21, 2009 7:32:29 PM PDT
Whizzkid58® says:
MW:
Is this a music thread or a political one? Since you brought it up, ALL...I repeat ALL politicians and 99.9% of the print/radio/television media are jerks and poison the minds of the masses and have for years...it's all about their agenda...but I digress...I'll take Van anyday.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 9:25:59 PM PDT
2 cents says:
"Performers have been jerks since time began. If we choose them on their social behaviors, we wouldn't have anyone."

Yeah, I know. I've thought about this issue of artists/performers as a--holes. Ya know questions like What's the connection? Must an artist be a d---? ETC.
Couple of points here:
-You know charisma and personality goes A LONG WAY. I believe part of why Van Morrison struck me as a sack of excrement, to me anyway, was that he had zero charisma and not much personality in the interviews and articles and videos I checked out. MANY artists, while being jerks, are interesting personalities. Dylan for ex. and I don't consider him a nice guy.

-Now add to that what he actually specifically did that qualified him as a "jerk". Van Morrison used an unscrupulous, unethical company to bully and threaten his own fans who had harmless tribute sites dedicated to his music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 9:33:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 21, 2009 9:38:45 PM PDT
2 cents says:
Maybe so. Maybe MOST performers/musicians are jerks. And maybe there are different ways of being a jerk. Surely much that could be labeled as egotistical behavior or neurotic and self-centered by normal standards is to some degree inevitable and even necessary when one is a super-star or even just a moderately successful performer or artist.

I like Lennon and I dont care for "Van the Man". Maybe because Lennon probably wouldnt have hired an a---hole to scare fans into taking down their fan sites and he was an interesting guy that fought for peace and social justice. Gets LOTS of points for his activism, Lennon does. He really put himself out there. Unlike Dylan btw, who to my mind largely became cynical and scared of what happens to those that try to change things. Anyways.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 9:34:48 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:40:11 PM PST]

Posted on May 21, 2009 9:37:19 PM PDT
John Stodder says:
If he's a jerk, it doesn't matter to me. I don't have to drive him around or clean his suits. I just get to listen to his music, which is sublime.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2009 9:40:21 PM PDT
2 cents says:
It's enough to make you sick. Land of the free. Yeahhh. Not America's proudest moment.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 6:02:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2009 6:08:14 AM PDT
If Van the Man doesn't want harmless tribute sites dedicated to his music then that's his right to not want it! Hell, you never know what kind of garbage goes onto these sites. I agree with Morrison.

And personally, the Man and I have never met, so I don't know what his personality is like. I just listen to his music and that is all he is known to me for. And chances are I will NEVER know what he is like, we may both be dead soon. I admired him for watching over garbage sites about him.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 6:55:25 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 22, 2009 7:00:12 AM PDT
bass boy says:
I've heard similar stories about Dylan. Yes, he's talented, but some rock stars just have egos. A friend of mine's brother worked security for Dylan last year and said that everyone in the room was "ordered" to stare at the floor whenever Dylan entered a room, and not look up. If someone did look up and make eye contact with Dylan, they were told in advance not to speak. At all.
However, many don't. Many are really, really nice people. My job has allowed me to interview some great talent who are very appreciative of their fans. Some of them include:

Black Sabbath (Geezer Butler, Tony Iommi and Ronnie James Dio are some of the nicest guys. Vinny Appice was all right. Not real talkative as the other three, but OK.)

Paul Rodgers (One of the nicest. Held his solo concert back for 3 or 4 minutes so I could get backstage and meet him before the show! His staff also mailed me a tour shirt.)

Deep Purple (Don Airey is pretty nice, but Glover, Paice, Gillan and Morse were super super nice. Glover is very shy about talking about his bassplaying, and Paice offered my friends and I free reign of the band's backstage fridge.)

Chris Squire and Alan White of YES (very friendly and funny. Squire is a comic. White is just like your favorite uncle who listens to music with you.)

Carl Palmer (a pinch serious but very nice and respectful)

Metallica's Kirk Hammett (very nice and interested in the interview. Was willing to talk about Cliff (RIP), Jason, Robert and pretty much everything else. He's a big supporter of music programs in schools, too)

Cheap Trick's Rick Nielsen (very funny, hard - in a good way - to keep him focused in the interview but wonderfully entertaining. He's really fun.)

John Sykes of Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake and Blue Murder (really nice and considerate. Changed my opinion of the new lineup of Thin Lizzy, although it will never be the same without Phil Lynott RIP)

Dave Ellefson of Megedeth (very appreciative)

Roger McGuinn of The Byrds (soft-spoken and extremely nice. Mailed two autographed photos (separately, days apart) to me after the interview.)

The Band's Levon Helm (very down to earth and nice. Just don't mention "The Last Waltz" or Robbie Robertson too much. I didn't, and Levon and I were pals for 15 minutes.)

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson was pretty cool but kind of tired - my interview came at the end of six hours of other interviews for Mr. Anderson. But he was a pretty good sport.

Les Claypool was all right too. Kind of hurried a little bit through the interview and wasn't in the mood to joke much, but he was OK. Didn't mind me asking about that famous Metallica 1986 audition, which I'm sure he's sick to death of addressing by now. :)

I've only had one bad experiece (I know another one will pop up, but I've been lucky).That bad experience was with a blind jazz singer who yelled at me on the phone because, in her words, I didn't know every single detail of her entire background and history. For real. It really happened. I tell people her name, and everyone always goes "Who?" Exactly. It seems the bigger the artist is, at least a veteran artist, the nicer he/she is now.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 6:58:24 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 9, 2010 2:39:17 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 7:18:47 AM PDT
Rossputin says:
Absolutely true. Anecdote-- Iwas at a Van show in around 1976. The crowd was cheering and pumped up. Van stopped in the middle of a song and told the crowd "Shut up, I'm trying to do a show up here". It's all about Van, but I still love his music.

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2009 7:36:39 AM PDT
Two Tub Man says:
Morrison was a key member of one favorite rock and roll experiences:

Van Morrison w/ Dave Edmunds, Nick Lowe and Rockpile at the Park West in Chicago, late 1970's.
Morrison apparently threw a hissy and cancelled at the last minute (he obviously knew he'd have been
blown off the stage by Rockpile), so Rockpile played twice as long as they normally would have. They
didn't have to, but they did it for their fans. Morrison wouldn't have done that if Rockpile had cancelled.
Rockpile simply went out and played one of the most memorable sets I've ever witnessed, one that's
only been topped by a few bands over my 40 years of concert going.
My date had wanted to see Morrison, I went to see Rockpile. Perfect! I got to see an elongated set
from one of my favorite bands, and didn't have to sit through Van the Man bleating Brown Eyed Girl
or Blue Money. Bet he wouldn't have done G-l-o-r-i-a anyway.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  55
Total posts:  131
Initial post:  May 21, 2009
Latest post:  Aug 31, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions