Customer Discussions > Music forum

Geography Lesson...Kansas Vs Boston..."Carry On Wayward Son" Or "More Than A feeling"

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 52 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2013 10:20:04 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Strong guitars, high voice registry, powerful. Both from 1976. Turn the volume up songs for sure.

"Carry On" went to #11, "More Than" went to #5.

So, are you going to "Lay your weary head to rest" or "See my Marianne walkin' away"?

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:27:47 PM PDT
Mod Rocker says:
two heads on mt rushmore ! BOTH ESSENTIAL !

NEXT !

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:28:52 PM PDT
A customer says:
"Carry On". Ever since Delp's suicide "More Than" has taken on a darker tone to me. Kind of depressing to listen to.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:40:21 PM PDT
ED S. says:
"Carry On" for me. That Brian May, Queen like guitar, the perfect pitch voice. The guitar break. The mellow verse and heavy chorus. Just nirvana. This song plays in my head several times a week.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 10:48:35 PM PDT
Gotta go with Boston here even though Wayward is no slouch by any means.

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 11:05:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:13:15 AM PDT
Best concert that I ever attented was Kansas at Winterland, San Francisco in early 1977. A black curtain was lowered around the stage and I had never seen that before as the mystery begins. Well, the lights go down in the arena and the vocal introduction of "Carry On Wayward Son" is heard crystal clear and the band sings "Don't you cry no more" BAAAAAAAM!!! huge explosion and white light and smoke and behind all this there is Kansas playing better than anybody on the planet. For the next two hours there was one big moment after another and I'm not gonna drop 600 words describing that incredible night. But a few years later in Hawaii some friends from work went to see Boston at Aloha Stadium and they said it sounded just like the record and the group didn't have much spark but they did play well. I saw The Eagles there in 1979 and I knew just what they meant as that's how The Eagles went about their business with Joe Walsh being a fun performer with the other guys showing little signs of life. I'm so glad that Joe was in that band as he gave that show some much needed life and energy.

I heard "More Than a Feeling" on the radio in 1976 and after the first play I told a friend that it would sell five million copies as nothing was more comercial than that. I understand why people love Boston but Kansas was the very best American band of the 1970's as we finally had a group to show the English we had a quality band to match all of their big names.

Sorry, I rambled on again but Kansas is the winner and it ain't even close!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:15:48 AM PDT
I like the Kansas song more. Both are overplayed to death.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 4:10:57 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
That testicles-in-a-vice style of singing was one of the worst things about a whole batch of cloned bands from the late '70s. 'More Than a Feeling' was a pastiche of two much better James Gang songs (Tend My Garden, Walk Away). Kansas was hee haw-prog. Choosing between these two road apples would be like judging a beauty contest in a leper colony.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:37:39 AM PDT
I can't say either of these bands qualify as having a very deep catelog. Boston had 1 great album. Kansas had a handful of good songs. However both of these songs were great hits for good reason. Yes, they have been played to death but they both are shining moments in their careers. More Than A Feeling shining just a tad brighter.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:55:42 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I never cared much for Kansas and much less for Boston. 'More Than A Feeling' and 'Peace of Mind' are pleasant enough when I hear them on the radio. 'Dust In The Wind' and 'Carry On...' are the only songs I really like by Kansas and both are better than Boston's songs.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 6:50:32 AM PDT
Chazzzbo says:
I'll give Kansas the slight edge here, as it has a more organic sound. But again, by the thinnest of margins. Two great songs from my high school years...

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 7:05:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 7:06:49 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Boston's debut record is a top 3 debut record and I don't even like Boston that much.
It was refreshing the first time I heard it and the millionth time I heard it.

So More Than a Feeling gets my vote.

Psst...don't tell anyone about the best debut album comment or people will think I'm a pu$$y ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 7:43:49 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Kansas and "Carry On" by a mile for me. Boston's debut was really good, but the delay in their follow up caused the album to be overplayed and I quickly tired of them. Kansas is more diverse and more progressive on their earlier albums. Also, I saw Kansas open for Bad Company in 1976 and they were really good live (never saw Boston live).

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 10:10:13 AM PDT
TC says:
Boston - More Than A Feeling. That sure was a popular album back then. Kansas was fine as well, but i'll pick Boston out of those two.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:25:31 PM PDT
Hinch says:
No offense. I know many like it but I thought Boston's debut was one of the worst albums ever. The first song was good. Each song was progressively worse. By the end of side 1, it became unlistenable.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:33:09 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
No offense taken ;)

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:33:49 PM PDT
I can live with those remarks as well....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:35:16 PM PDT
ED S. says:
Then we are all one big happy family. I feel a group hug!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:36:44 PM PDT
Kansas over Boston, but not by that much. I really like both songs!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:26:18 PM PDT
Mr. Jumps says:
I like both songs and both bands too. I think I like the innovative multi tracking heard on More than a feeling, a little more. These dudes in Boston developed sounds and equipment that would be used over and over again by other musicians like Journey, zz top and many others.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 1:39:33 PM PDT
My weary head needs a rest from both of these songs. Substitute "Icarus" and "Long Time" instead.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 3:32:39 PM PDT
TC says:
i'm offended.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:06:10 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 7, 2013 2:33:21 PM PDT]

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:31:34 PM PDT
Corporate rock versus corporate rock. Not sure which is worse, but "Dust in the Wind" might have been the worst song of the entire decade.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 5:58:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 5:59:16 PM PDT
JP says:
Boston was awesome WHEN IT CAME OUT but Kansas was a WAY more talented band overall so I'll take kansas any day. I don't even own any Boston on CD except for that first one (got the 2nd & 3rd on Vinyl).

Boston was a one trick pony and, once that initial album was out, everything they ever did sounded exactly the same, which is why they only have 4 albums. Heck 2 of them (don't remember if it was the 2nd & 3rd or 3rd & 4th) are pretty much the exact same album!!! With different lyrics.

Of course Kansas lost their biggest strength, and best song writer, when Kerry Livgren left. And haven't been the same since.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  33
Total posts:  52
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2013
Latest post:  Oct 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions