Customer Discussions > Music forum

Album Covers That Open At The Top Rather Than The Side?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 30 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 7:16:59 PM PST
There are probably several that I'm not even aware of. Some that I know of include:

The Beatles (1968) Original UK cover. Yet I think the US versions open at the side?

Frampton Comes Alive! - Peter Frampton (1976)

Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin (1975)

What about Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story"? I don't own the original vinyl but the CD booklet leads me to believe that it opens from the top?

And how about "Some Girls" by the Stones? Anyone know if the original die-cut covers were top loading?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:20:02 PM PST
I think what you really mean is albums where the cover photo is sideways.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2013 8:23:24 PM PST
ED S. says:
That's one way of looking at it!

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:27:06 PM PST
Hmm...maybe. I guess I'm using "Physical Graffiti" as the main example (the sleeves and records were put in through the top of the cover, rather than the album opening up like a book).

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:36:21 PM PST
But I think you're right with an album like "Frampton Comes Alive". The cover photo is actually sideways (if you open it like a book).

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:36:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 7, 2013 8:40:49 PM PST
Ayinger says:
LED ZEPPELIN's "In Through The Out Door"

HAWKWIND - "In Search Of Space" (basically....the front also could be separated and the entire jacket unfolded)

if you wanted to put the "Frampton Comes Alive" rule into play, JOE WALSH's "The Smoker You Drink, The PLayer You Get" fits.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 8:41:20 PM PST
ED S. says:
"Horizon" by the Carpenters is like that. It has a flap like a envelope.

"Live and More" by Donna Summer has a flap in the shape of Donna Summers head and disc top loads AND a second disc downloads after a fold out.

The first edition of Dave Masons "Alone Together", has a three panel fold with the album top loaded in a half pocket exposing the top half of a marbled vinyl disc.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 4:17:26 AM PST
Kil Roi says:
Rare Earth Live in Concert, album cover resembled a knapsack that opened from the top.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 4:58:11 AM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Free Live...the cover looks like an envelope.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:50:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:12:51 AM PST
vivazappa says:
One of These Nights--Eagles
Muscle of Love--The Coop
Time Fades Away--NEIL

Queen II fits the "Comes Alive" style...

Dr Hook's "Belly Up" opens backwards.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:00:56 AM PST
B. rogers says:
Diana Ross "Why Do Fools Fall In Love" from 1981. Also, it's her hottest cover....yowza!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 10:39:22 AM PST
Not sure about that Rod LP, but 'Sing it Again Rod' opens at the top and the whole cover/inner sleeve is shaped/looks like a high-ball glass.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 11:25:09 AM PST
ED S. says:
"Muscle Of Love" came in a cardboard box. Yes it opened at the top. I have a sealed copy. Never going to open it.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:17:17 PM PST
Ayinger says:
Just to call myself out -- I was wrong some about Zeppelin's "In Thru The Out Door"....the actual cardboard jacket IS opened on the side. It's the original paper bag the lp came in that is opened at the top!

Could a special mention go out to ELP's "Brain Salad Surgery"? The front face of the jacket was two leaves that opened outward and then you slide out the vinyl from either side.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:03:30 PM PST
Two Tub Man says:
UK copies of Black Sabbath's "Master Of Reality" were housed in a 'flip top' cover, while the North American
issue was in a standard side pocket cover.

"Ginger Baker's Air Force", a gatefold double LP, was printed with so that the spine was on the right hand
side as you opened the album.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:25:20 PM PST
The Heavy Cream double LP opens up like an envelope.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:28:57 PM PST
Gentle Giant: Acquiring The Taste

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:07:25 PM PST
Barry Smith says:
Neil Diamond's STONES (1972) Early copies of the LP album featured a cover with a button-string style closure on the back. The cover itself was styled as an envelope that opened from the top. This was later abandoned and replaced with a standard side-opening sleeve.

Also I think Jackson Browne's debut album mistakenly entitled SATURATE BEFORE USING (1972) had a top opening in its jacket but I could be wrong.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 9:51:38 PM PST
Glen Kepic says:
Wasn't a whole 'The Best Of Cream' range set up like that?
Polydor carrion then (i didn't buy any of it then).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 10:50:33 PM PST
Some Girls opened from the side.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 12:56:01 AM PST
Severin says:
Bob Dylan's "Blonde On Blonde" is the first one that sprang to mind.

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 10:28:38 AM PDT
Ayinger says:
Anybody familiar with THE RASPBERRIES "Side 3" album? I'm thinking its cover was specially cut as it was made to look like a bag of raspberries. I never owned the album but it's stuck in my mind....was the vinyl tucked away inside in some unusual way?

Posted on Mar 10, 2013 11:03:56 AM PDT
Steve Vrana says:
I scanned through my vinyl collection and came up with these:

Eric Clapton - AT HIS BEST (Polydor, 1972)
The Faces - LONG PLAYER (Warner Bros., 1971)/OOH LA LA (1973)
The Flock - DINOSAUR SWAMPS (Columbia, 1971)
John Lennon - WALLS AND BRIDGES (Apple, 1974)
The Moody Blues - A QUESTION OF BALANCE (Threshold, 1970)
The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - SYMPHONION DREAM (United Artists, 1975)

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 9:52:46 PM PDT
Cheech and Chong - Big Bamboo

John

Posted on Mar 13, 2013 2:52:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2013 2:54:02 AM PDT
I remember the clunky Master of Reality cover - if one was ever going to get damaged because of wear and tear to the lid it would be that. Didn't a very limited run of the original issue of the Let It Be album have a box with a lid containing a book? I think the original White Album gatefold had openings at the top - at least in the UK. I have a feeling that Devo's debut was a top-opener as well.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  23
Total posts:  30
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2013
Latest post:  Jun 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions