Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Music forum

More Fun With Double Albums Vol V: Ultimate 70's Matchup - Exile On Main St or Physical Graffiti?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 58 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2013 9:11:30 PM PST
Not that you can't love both of course.

But which one would you take to the famous desert island?

There are some amazing battles here - Rocks Off vs Custard Pie, maybe Ten Years Gone vs Let It Loose? Maybe Kashmir vs... well, nothing can really match up to Kashmir!

I hate to choose, but I have to go with "Physical Graffiti".

I realize these double albums aren't exactly "apples to apples". Graffiti is what I call "Explorative Rock" - rock and roll but with many exotic twists and a sense of travel (Kashmir, The Rover being prime examples). Whereas, Exile is more pure boogie, straight ahead rock and roll. Graffiti is more grand, while Exile is more swaggering.

At any rate, both are awesome records. Feel free to pick one for the island.

Posted on Mar 7, 2013 11:35:44 PM PST
Physical Graffiti is the correct answer. Sick Again, In My Time Of Dying, The Wanton Song, The Rover, Custard Pie, Trampled Underfoot, Houses Of The Holy and Night Flight out rock any of the Stones songs. Then you have Kashmir, Ten Years Gone and In The Light to balance it out. This is an easy choice.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 5:49:22 AM PST
TC says:
Exile On Main St. would have to be my choice. but it wasn't an easy one.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 6:03:43 AM PST
zlh67 says:
For me, this is a 1st round knockout before Exile even makes it to the center of the ring.

Exile has grown on me to where nearly half of it is in my "Best of Stones" playlist, but none of those songs are anywhere near the top half of that list. Prolly the most over-rated Stones album in their catalog (in my book, anyway).

Phys Graf is pretty much a perfect album with the only track I sometimes skip being "Kashmir", just because of overplay and the fact that it's a longer track. All in all though I love every moment and it's probably my favorite Zep album. 10/10!

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 8:16:14 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 8:17:41 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Exile mops the f'n floor with any other record EVER released.

I had a cassette of Exile in my car for over two years.
I seldom listened to anything else during that time.

Go ahead and say it...
"Crazy toys in the attic he is crazy..." Roger Waters/The Trial

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:00:59 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Viva -

I think we agree on 10 things for every 1 that we see differently but Exile is definitely an album we differ on! For me, it's decent. I don't DIS-like it, but the whole care-free, rough-an-ragged, jam-it-out "loose" vibe of the album that so many love just isn't enough to me to overcome the fact that many of the songs just aren't that great and seem made up on the spot.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 9:13:36 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 9:14:46 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Agree ;)
They sound made up on the spot.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 10:01:28 AM PST
Exile On Main St

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 10:02:29 AM PST
Exile on a desert island.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 12:24:39 PM PST
@zlh67: you speak for me as well. IMO "Exile" is a glorified genre-exercise album with a great atmosphere but lots of filler. The atmosphere *almost* overcomes the slightly below-par songwriting, but not *quite*.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 2:53:19 PM PST
Exile says:
Hmm, I'll have to think about this one....LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 2:54:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 2:54:29 PM PST
Exile says:
You just described Houses of the Holy.. ;)

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:07:20 PM PST
B L T says:
I can't choose. Can I take "The Wall" to the island?

"Physical Graffiti" and "Exile on Main St." were both a Huge disappointment for me when they were first released. I bought both albums, but couldn't play either one very much. I think it was the contrast between the great albums the bands had prior to these two that made both albums stinkers for me.

Power to you if you love one or both of these albums, there's nothing wrong with that, they just aren't for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:13:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 3:13:16 PM PST
@Exile: LOL Hey, where have you been lately, anyway? I missed you on my T.Rex thread!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:15:42 PM PST
Sha57 says:
Physical Graffiti has always been my number one "Desert Island Disc" .

I'm sure there's probably a thread here somewhere with that very title.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:25:51 PM PST
Exile says:
I know..I get busy and sometimes just need to take some time off from Amazon and rejuvenate myself. Basically I've just been hopping in and out once in awhile this week.

I'm sure your thread was a success anyway. ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 3:32:39 PM PST
Exile says:
Not crazy, dude. I'm with ya! I can totally see why people may not like Exile but it's so difficult, or next to impossible, to describe to them what is so remarkable about it. It's one of those albums that is overrated AND underrated all at the same time.

It all just clicks for me and when I put it on, as soon as I hear that first opening riff in "Rocks Off", the feeling is just like, "Yes...home at last."

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 3:36:07 PM PST
Zaplightning says:
Physical Graffiti

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 4:07:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Mar 8, 2013 4:07:35 PM PST
@Exile: "I'm sure your thread was a success anyway. ;)"

I'd love it if you could go back and read some of the prior reviews...I put in lots of links to music and visual content! And you're still free to comment, the thread's not *quite* finished yet (two albums to go).

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 4:14:33 PM PST
Exile says:
I will...I have some free time tomorrow evening so I'll do some catching up.

Posted on Mar 8, 2013 6:43:01 PM PST
A. Tucker says:
Physical Grafitti, 'nuf said!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 8, 2013 8:44:44 PM PST
Working Man says:
Physical Graffiti

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 4:33:04 AM PST
Hinch says:
Exile. Easy choice for me.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 7:11:41 AM PST
I like both of these albums but neither one really blew me away. But I do like Physical Graiffit much better than Exile. I never liked the production much on Exile and while I get it's supposed to be loose and sloopy, it's a bit too drunkard. PG seems to have better song structure. There is some nice variety on it and it jut feels like more care went into it. Over the years I have started to get into more of the tracks I didn't like at first. I am hopeful one day that Exile still might hold something for me. Again, I don't dislike Exile. But it's a tough album to really get wrapped up in. I think the Stones have made many better albums than Exile. Although it beats everything they did after Tatoo You.

Posted on Mar 9, 2013 2:48:55 PM PST
Led Zep's Physical Graffiti.

This is the world's greatest Blues-Hard Rock Band working at the peak of their powers.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  32
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2013
Latest post:  May 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions