Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Capitol comes through for Beach Boys

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 21, 2012 10:45:10 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Capitol has realsed their BB cataloge in mono/stereo & from what I can see in the reivews they sound great. This series replaces the "Two-fer" like "Today/Summer Days Summer Nights". I wish the genius execs at the Cap tower did this for the Beatles. Instead we get the sucker box treatment. Does anyone have the Beach Boys mono/stereo releases?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 7:13:57 AM PDT
They are not to be released until October 9. Many of these albums were never released in true stereo in the 60s, specifically Today, Summer Days, or Smiley Smile, so presumably these are newly created stereo mixes (Pet Sounds was also not released in true stereo in the 60s but its stereo mix was created in the 90s and has been long available).
The main thing I am looking forward to is All Summer Long in mono - a great album (the ones preceding it are so-so), and the mono mix is vastly superior to the stereo.

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 9:35:49 AM PDT
I don't feel a need to re-purchase any Beach Boys, or for that matter, Beatles music (I passed on the Beatles box). Nothing against the music, there's just too much other stuff to buy/listen to.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 22, 2012 6:38:07 PM PDT
Roeselare says:
like what?

Posted on Sep 22, 2012 8:36:10 PM PDT
@werranth413: I like the disbelieving tone of your response, kinda like "What's more important than the Beatles or the Beach Boys?!" LOL

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 7:20:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 23, 2012 7:21:39 AM PDT
DK Pete says:
While I love all (well...most) of the singles (I have the box set from the nineties which includes them all), the only actual BB's ALBUM I was ever interested in is Pet Sounds (and, recently but to a lesser extent, Smile).

That said, I have the Pet Sounds Sessions box which includes a great sounding stereo mix along with the original mono version. Does anyone know if this one, among all the other re-issues, will have any significant improvement sound wise?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 8:51:55 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:01:46 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
DK, as I understand it the 2006 reissue of Pet Sounds, the one in the fuzzy box, that was the best mono version according to Mark Linett, long time producer for BB reissues, as in they finally found the first generation master tape. The 90's stereo version was also included in that reissue as well as a 5.1 surround mix of the entire album.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 11:06:55 AM PDT
DK Pete says:
The one in the "fuzzy" box??? You lost me..I never knew of it..I have to seek it out because, to be honest, I'm not overly thrilled with the mono version that came with the sessions box.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 12:03:19 PM PDT
Dee Zee says:
DK:
Pet Sounds 40th Anniversary CD+DVD (Limited Edition Fuzzy Package)

And Mark Linett's note in the Comments:
Just wanted to post a correction to the last review. The CD in the new set is not the same as the 2001 edition. The mono album has been remastered from a much better original source tape resulting in a great improvement in the sound if the original album. In addition the bonus track has been changed to the more finished version of "Hang On To Your Ego" which fans have been asking for. Sadly the credits for the disc omitted this info by mistake. While a hi-res 5.1 mix would sound better than the dolby digital , the vocals are not just in the rear speakers. In fact they truly surround the listener.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 12:27:58 PM PDT
DK Pete says:
Dee Zee, thanks for the link which I just read through (including some of the customer reviews).

With the exception of whatever's on the DVD (I'm not jumping at a 5.1 setup for the time being), it seems I have everything else on here (no updated remastering from the previous most current versions). I'm safe with what I have in terms of stereo/mono and tons of great sounding extras on the Sessions box. Thanks again mon bro.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 12:46:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 7:47:32 AM PDT
Dee Zee says:
THe DVD has the surround mix which is quite nice and several videos including The Making of Pet Sounds (1997), Pet Stories-Interview with Brian Wilson, Rhythm of Life: Sir George Martin and Brian Wilson in the Studio, and the original promo films of Good Vibrations and Sloop John B. That 2006 CD/DVD package also came out in jewel box but the fuzzy box is, well, fuzzy cool.

The Good Vibrations CD single was also reissued around the same time.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 4:42:05 PM PDT
Yes but the DVD was a regular DVD, which means the surround was in heavily compressed Dolby Digital. Much better sounding was the DVD-Audio version with the surround, stereo and mono all in lossless Advanced Resolution (24bit/96khz).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 23, 2012 9:03:18 PM PDT
Hinch says:
You're kidding! Right? Lol!

Posted on Sep 23, 2012 9:14:37 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I love The Beach Boys and own most of their albums on vinyl as well as most of the twofer cds. I have no need to buy them again for the mono mix. Sounds like a great idea for those who don't own many BB albums. Also, I'm not a fan of cds with both versions. I prefer the way it was done with The Beatles. A separate box for each.

Posted on Sep 24, 2012 6:41:42 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 24, 2012 6:42:37 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
I dig the twofer CD's...I have a couple of them from the very early surf days!

My friend always said:
"If you have Endless Summer you have everything!"

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 7:37:47 AM PDT
stevign says:
Oh my god, you dare ask a QUESTION? What the hell is wrong with you man? So far you have 5 people who voted you down and none who voted "yes". Apparently asking a question doesn't "add to the discussion", I'm surprised you didn't know that.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 24, 2012 1:15:09 PM PDT
Good question too... Right to the point...
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Sep 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions