Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 155 posts in this discussion
Posted on Jun 5, 2011 1:58:15 PM PDT
Jay Ambler says:
No mention of 'Men of the World' FM sixties release album featuring Peter Green. Lindsey is GREAT, Green is a slight notch above that.

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 2:51:56 PM PDT
stevign says:
Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac has been one of my favs since he left Mayall and formed the group.

* Thank you John Mayall for offering Peter the free studio time as a gift.

I used to have The Original Fleetwood Mac - The Early Years on VHS but lost it. Fans should buy the DVD; watching Jeremy Spencer sing and play is worth the price of admission alone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVgXNSdWjck

Posted on Jun 5, 2011 4:53:42 PM PDT
Ayinger says:
Stevie Nicks may of had the chiffon-clad bod and flowing blonde tresses but give Christine ANY day....more talent & soul there than all the coke in the world that flowed up Ms. Nick's heyday in the band!

Mr. Ambler: are you refering to the SONG "Man Of The World"? That's one of my top favorites not only in Peter's canon, but just as a tune period!

I just got back from an hour road trip....played Mayall's A HARD ROAD, disc 2 with all the extras on it ---- SO SO NICE....glad this thread got me to drag it out today!

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 7:46:12 AM PDT
buckingham did 'oh well (part one)' on 'fleetwood mack live'

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 8:45:48 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 11:55:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 10:32:56 AM PDT
stevign says:
You do know that sales numbers have nothing to with "quality" right?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 12:12:34 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 27, 2013 11:55:53 PM PDT]

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 12:22:29 PM PDT
i confess. i lost interest after kirwan was kicked out. about that time, i lost interest in rock and went on to other things.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 12:38:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2011 12:39:34 PM PDT
I was always curious about what Lindsey felt about Peter. I have read a few times that at the time he first joined he really didn't like doing Bob Welch songs like "Hypnotized". But for the sake of continuity he did Green, Welch all the past material that people expected. But i think he just wanted to do his own stuff, put his mark on the music rather than disliking or liking the past music.

But just for curiosities sake i wonder what he liked and disliked about the past stuff. Especially now with the passing of so much time. And with his music making such an impact. What would be his perspective now?

Was Kirwin kicked out? I thought he left on his own choice.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 1:00:34 PM PDT
stevign says:
My bad.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 1:17:54 PM PDT
i certainly never liked welch or that horrendous singer they had for an album (yes, vinyl, lp).

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 1:20:50 PM PDT
Dave Walker?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 2:03:19 PM PDT
stevign says:
Jim and Mark:

Before the late 1972 tour began, Walker quit Savoy Brown to join Fleetwood Mac. Great voice!

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 2:11:04 PM PDT
stevign,I also think Walker had a great voice. Was merely inquiring as to whether that was the guy Mark was referring to.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 2:11:29 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 6, 2011 2:11:52 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 2:15:03 PM PDT
stevign says:
Thanks Jim.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 2:15:59 PM PDT
MC says:
Dave Walker does have a great voice , not a very good match in that band though...
Yes Kirwan was fired because of his drinking problem (amongst others)

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 6, 2011 2:22:29 PM PDT
stevign says:
I don't know if I ever heard Walker in any other band but Savoy Brown so you could very well be right. I remember buying French Kiss when it 1st came out but only liked the song "Outskirts"......which is great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRht55T12Ms

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 2:28:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 6, 2011 2:29:17 PM PDT
The Penguin album (the one with Walker) is my least favorite of the five FM albums with Welch. Not Walker's fault; the band was just really lacking decent material.

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 4:39:47 PM PDT
MC says:
Penguin, was a pretty poor excuse for an Fleetwood Mac Album, in MVHO, a real throw away.....

Posted on Jun 6, 2011 5:34:25 PM PDT
I think Peter's importance to blues and rock music was summed up perfectly by Mick Fleetwood when he stated that some feeling of Pete's importance can be measured by the fact that after a relatively brief period on the music scene people are still talking about him so many years later. He was an immense talent and we are all lucky he recorded as much as he did. One can only hope for more releases of early Mac live shows.

Posted on Jun 7, 2011 1:18:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 7, 2011 1:32:39 AM PDT
Thank you everyone for your input. Particularly 7 & 7 Is and Ayinger for informing me of the albums i did not know of. I added them to my list. I have edited and worked my list over due to everyones suggestions. Thank you all so much for taking the time.

I worked hard to get a list of records and tell a short story that can get people into Peter's music. Thanks everyone for contributing to my list to ...Get Into Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac.

Posted on Jun 8, 2011 6:19:28 PM PDT
Ayinger says:
Hey, thank YOU for taking the time out on it all! While I think there are a lot of Peter Green fans out there, we're a small percentage to the music fans who only know Fleetwood Mac of the Buckingham-Nicks era. Couple other comments:

I've never have had interest in looking into PENGUIN much past the samples of it that I've heard....have always felt that it would turn out to be too lackluster for me. KILN HOUSE is about the only other one that I've been on the fence with...."Station Man" is great but I fear the majority of the tunes would be too 'rockabilly' or something for me....one of these days though perhaps,,,,,

I also don't own (save for a cassette somewhere that I've even forgotten the name of) any of the LIVE Fleetwood Mac discs from the Peter Green days. Wonder if people might post up some more in-depth comments of which one(s) they feel are prime. I hate to say this but a lot of this has to do with the half-hour versions of "Rattlesnake Shake" which for the versions I've heard just seem to go on and on and on... Stupid point but I oughta just deal with it, huh? LOL

Lastly, I want to throw out the name of the late GARY MOORE....an apostle of Green's if there ever was one and a guitarist who IMO is right up there in rank. Many here may already know of the tribute album that Gary recorded of Pete's songs entitled Blues for Greeny --- if you don't, *checkITout!!!* To me, his version of "The Supernatural" even eclipses the one done with John Mayall. It's also to be noted that years earlier Peter had sold Gary his own 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard of which he did much of his recordings with and that Gary used that very guitar in recording this tribute album. It was Moore's main guitar for years until he hit a thin period and gave in to selling it for near an estimated $1 Million....Green's selling price to Gary: $300.oo. The last I heard, the guitar is worth over $2 Million now....

Another Peter Green tribute album that has some decent moments is the 2CD package Rattlesnake Guitar: Music of Peter Green featuring separate solo and Mac cuts by the likes of Snowy White, Rory Gallagher, Savory Brown, members of Jethro Tull, Uriah Heep, Mott the Hoople, Foghat, The Yardbirds.... While the Gary Moore tribute sticks close to home with the original arrangements/sound, there's more of a mixed presentation of the songs here (eg: "Albatross" done with a plantive harmonica!).

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 7:00:51 PM PDT
stevign says:
I've never understood what fans find good about "Rattlesnake Shake", I think it's one of the worst songs he ever did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 8, 2011 8:08:59 PM PDT
stevign,
I agree 'Outskirts' is a great song. I also liked 'Ebony Eyes'.
JC
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  35
Total posts:  155
Initial post:  May 31, 2011
Latest post:  Mar 27, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions