Customer Discussions > Music forum

Here's the list: Musicians Backing Mitt Romney...and Those Supporting Barack Obama. Wild guess whose got the better list....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 466 posts in this discussion
Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:36:39 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Bass boy, Husky, & gusula:
4 level-headed posts in a row. Rational and not overly colored by either bias or thoughless emotion or dogma.
Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:41:00 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:44:32 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 12:51:30 PM PDT
Re: bass boy says:
"Fischman says "Why was an 8-year old so stressed?"

Amen. When I was 8, I could care less about politics. I was more interested in being Han Solo and the Six Million Dollar Man in the yard. Lol! :)"

Well, I was 9 Years old during the Cuban Missile Crisis and I can tell you that, between the News Coverage, the Adults talking of Bomb Shelters, and all the Drills at School, I was pretty stressed!

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 12:59:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 1:00:48 PM PDT
Fischman says:
The sky is falling The sky is falling!

Geez, it must be tough to be you--surprised you havent jumped off a bridge yet just to be done with all the fear!

I was there and so were many millions more who weren't so traumatized.

Hollywood has always loved to tap into peoples fears--makes for great theater--and they're pretty darn good at it. If anybody's to blame here, it's your parents for letting you watch things you weren't prepared to deal with.

In the 1950's it was Fail Safe, which was every bit as chilling as any of your clips. Remember the 50s, when grade schoolers (yes,, 8-year olds) were taught how to duck and cover in elementary school and suburbanites were building fallout shelters in their back yards? In the 60's there was always the fear that Vietnam would escalate into a true superpower struggle. Every generation has had its scares, nuclear or otherwise and yet some of us are able to retain coherent thoght processes. In the 90s, during a State of the Union Address, President Clinton declared that for the first time in decades, there are no nuclear weapons pointed at the heads of Americas children. What changed things? The 80s.

BTW, the 80s was a long time ago. Time to find a bridge and get over it.

From The manhattan Project by Rush:
Big shots try to hold it back,
Fools try to wish it away.
The hopeful depend on a world without end,
Whatever the hopeless may say

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:03:50 PM PDT
Re: Fischman says:
"Bass boy, Husky, & gusula:
4 level-headed posts in a row. Rational and not overly colored by either bias or thoughless emotion or dogma.
Thanks"

Actually, it's just that I haven't picked a Candidate yet.
I'm waiting to see who Charlize Theron supports.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 1:15:21 PM PDT
Fischman says:
That may be as good a criteria as any lol!

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 2:22:01 PM PDT
70s Soul says:
It's a narrow view to believe that because one "entertains" for a living that he/she is not educated, politically minded, involved, and abreast of the issues.

Many have travelled the world and seen how others live and experienced their governments first hand.

Others created foundations and charitable organizations.

However, even if they only research candidates, read news, and check the bills and votes, they're as knowledgable or more than every ordinary citizen.

An entertainer using his/her stage to speak about an issue and promote a candidate is the same as you or I knocking on doors in our communities.

They're as influential as their fans feel they are connected to them or if they hit the right notes of appeal in their words.

Any person running for office is fortunate to get the people who can reach the most people on their behalf.

That's the difference between those supporting President Obama and those supporting Mitt Romney.

I didn't see these musicians listed in the original post under President Obama:

Van Halen
Rage Against the Machine
Cassandra Wilson
Dianne Reeves
Macy Gray
Pearl Jam
Silversun Pickups

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 6:12:41 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Hey will someone please cut and paste this thread on the "politics" site?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:23:16 AM PDT
MarcTheKing says:
Viva Zappa: I should have known this thread would get political real quick and that was part of my interest. A bigger discussion I hoped would come from the list would be a fierce conversation about the musical merits of the artists on both sides. Kid Rock and Meatloaf vs Bruce Springsteen and Madonna...it just struck me as an unfair fight on purely musical terms.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:53:57 AM PDT
70s Soul says:
Under Mitt Romney's column, Kidd Rock is the only artist who has music I've purchased. Scratch that. Add ZZ Top to Romney's column.

On the other hand, I've purchased music by almost every artist under President Obama's column except for most of the rappers, Beyonce, R. Kelly, Madonna and Silversun Pickups - who I never heard of until they had a dustup in the press with the Romney campaign.

So as far as a discussion regarding "musical merits," The President's column is the one that appeals to me. It's more "popular."

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 9:47:53 AM PDT
vivazappa says:

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 10:52:55 AM PDT
It seems odd to me that Mick Jagger is weighing in on American politics.
I understand that Keith Richards owns a home in Connecticut, but does anyone know Mick's interest?

Personally, I like Russell Brand's perspective that we're "Electing a New King"!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 11:05:50 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Who are the kids on South Park voting for?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 11:19:35 AM PDT
E. Dill says:
*&%#**@+*&^%$#

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:06:55 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Marc
I think the thread did tend to veer the direction you hoped on a couple occasions as the personalities of artists were discussed. In most forms of art, music included, we respond more to feelings than intellect. There has been significant input as to how the Obama artists are better artists in this regard. Even setting aside Springsteen and Madonna, both of whom I can't stand, I think it's still gonna be a huge leftist lean--for musicians, actors, visual artists, etc. I think the ultimate discussion you were looking for--the relative artistic merit of those on each side--never took place because the answer is just so obvious, even to those who are right-leaning politically.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:10:44 PM PDT
gusula says:
According to the conventional wisdom, anyway, Kenny is behind Obama (he wants to keep the welfare gravy train rolling), Cartman is definitely pro-Romney (after all, he's never met a cult he didn't like), Kyle will sit this election out (he's having trouble registering -- the Birthers are demanding ID, what with his brother Ike being a Canadian national and all), and Stan is hopelessly undecided (the prototypical swing-stater enjoying the attention and holding out until the last possible moment to make up his mind).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:24:07 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Really?

One of the greatest aspects of human capacity is the ability to rise above our instincts, to be able to rewrite our own programming.

It's the ones who don't who get us all in trouble. But just because most never wake up, doesn't mean it's not possible.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 12:28:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 12:37:58 PM PDT
With New Jersey underwater from Hurricane Sandy the election has been canceled. Springsteen, will get a great song outta all of this and Snooky's house wasn't touched...."Lions and Tigers and Bears....OH, MY!!!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:33:09 PM PDT
Fischman says:
Not sure who could neg vote that one. Well thought out AND Hilarious!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:09:56 PM PDT
MarcTheKing says:
Fischman: I think the ultimate discussion you were looking for--the relative artistic merit of those on each side--never took place because the answer is just so obvious, even to those who are right-leaning politically.

Thanks for those thoughts. I would have assumed this myself, however the OP has gotten only 9 "yes" and 22 "no" votes! I don't know what I did wrong! Whew!! Juss statin' the facts here folks, with a little color commentary of my own....

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:02:01 PM PDT
stevign says:
Exactly. The "only" thing that matters to most artists is that whoever they support, has to be considered "cool". Hell, Liberals would vote for Bozo the Clown if someone told them it would make them look cool.

(My apologies to Bozo the Clown and his family) ;~)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:46:45 PM PDT
Betty Adams says:
I am pretty well educated and well read on political issues and I think Romney is brain dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:10:59 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I am pretty well educated and well read on political issues"

Apparently not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:16:59 PM PDT
Betty Adams says:
And Afganistan had a BIG part in busting them. Sound familiar? War is a money making proposition for some people....like Hallaburtin for example. Always has been and I guess always will be. Follow the money.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  57
Total posts:  466
Initial post:  Oct 25, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions