Customer Discussions > Music forum

What happened to track listings for CDs on Amazon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-15 of 15 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 15, 2012 2:22:17 PM PST
C. Cassidy says:
Have you noticed that more often than not, Amazon no longer lists the titles of the tracks on a CD?

Why? What the hell?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 2:52:51 PM PST
That has not been my experience.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 2:53:58 PM PST
Music Lover says:
C.Cassidy-I've run into this once or twice but it doesn;t seem to be the norm yet. I hope we're not headed down that road

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:49:03 PM PST
Music Hound says:
I've noticed that, and I've noticed that they're getting a little less concerned about posting 30 second samples of the albums. I do a lot of sampling that way. Otherwise, how else would I get an idea if I like something or not? Mark Knopfler's Privateering is an excellent example. That's a 2 CD set that just came out this fall, and there is no sample material posted. I'm not buying music on faith - especially not a 2 CD set.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:53:44 PM PST
A customer says:
There's always youtube. They have better than 30 second previews there.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:56:41 PM PST
Music Hound says:
I'm aware of that, but you have to rely on someone uploading the material (and not getting in trouble for it) and it's not as convenient as a 30 second sampler when you're just scanning to get a basic idea. Thanks for the input, though.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 8:07:34 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Allmusic.com often has 30-second samples, but it depends on the album whether they get posted before release, or you have to wait until the release date (or even later on more obscure titles).

Fortunately, they do have that Knopfler album you mentioned:

http://www.allmusic.com/album/privateering-mw0002397295

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:10:48 PM PST
Music Hound says:
Thanks for the tip...

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 8:22:07 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 15, 2012 8:22:30 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 9:03:29 AM PST
If you're a fan, Privateering is worth it. I feel it stands as one of Knopfler's best.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:37:19 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
The situation is even worse with concert DVDs. Every time I search for a live concert DVD on Amazon, I have to hit Google with a second search for a track listing! Not difficult, but very annoying. Is it really that difficult for Amazon to throw the track listing on the page? They'll typically have 20 other tidbits of useless info there that I'm sure hardly anybody really cares about.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 9:52:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 16, 2012 9:56:35 AM PST
I haven't seen this for albums that are also available for download.
The problem is my tastes often run to many older and out of print things they have never transfered to MP3 and those usually don't have track listings.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:00:40 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 5:01:31 PM PST
It's frustrating when there're different editions of the same album, and Amazon doesn't tell you the tracks on them. You'd think it would be in Amazon's interest to let customers know about the products they have for sale! But, then, I'd think it would be in their interest to let me browse and see my cart without waiting forever for ads (for things I'm not interested in) to load . . .

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:43:45 PM PST
I really miss the music samples Amazon used to provide. You have to wonder if that will have an impact on sales numbers eventually.

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 6:52:22 PM PST
Comment Man says:
This is an accurate observation and may be related to the increasing irrelevance of CDs to Amazon's sales. I suspect Amazon doesn't carry that many copies of most CDs, and just depends on the slight profit from selling a few generates. Thus, the added cost of having somebody actually look at a CD and write down the track listing may actually cut into the profit enough to make it counterproductive. Making a sample may be even more profit destructive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  15
Initial post:  Nov 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions