Customer Discussions > Music forum

I've heard the new Aerosmith and it's.....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 97 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 2, 2012 10:09:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:42:01 AM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Decent/Pretty good. After one listen I'd give it a B-. That could go up or down depending on how the music "pans" out to me after a couple more listens.

The reason I say pan out is because the overall impression I get from this and some 80's/90's Aerosmith is Tyler's inability to let the music itself breathe. He needs to fill every nook and cranny with moaning, groaning, yelping, screeching, harmonizing, etc. Vintage Aerosmith let the music do the talking (pun intended) whereas with more recent tunes, Tyler seems to think we either have zero tolerance for musical interplay or he's such an egomaniac he believes his voice should dominate over all the proceedings.

I counted about 5 ballad type songs, a couple of them good. Rockers again will take another listen or two but I liked two or three of them, though nothing really blew me away.
Anyone else hear it yet?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:36:58 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Where did you hear it? Is it out?

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:51:44 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Never mind. I found it :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:39:30 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Listened to it...and I wasn't overly impressed. It was too much! You're absolutely right that he overpowers everything. In addition, the songs didn't have enough distinction from one another. I suppose it's a competent-enough album, but it's certainly no Pump or Get a Grip.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:50:09 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 1:10:34 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Garion,

Yeah, you heard the Tyler is everywhere problem too, huh? And I think they went into the studio trying to "appease" everyone a little bit. I'm sure they're very aware of fans thinking they "sold out" a long time ago or they're washed up, etc. etc. You know they've heard it all. So they probably wanted to at least try for a lot of variety and appeal to the hardcore 70's fan and the 80's/90's fan alike. They achieved some of that but as always it comes down to the songs.

I'm sticking with my B- after one listen....but I can certainly say right now it's no throw back to the glory days. Is it ever...lol? More like what you said...a competent album, with flashes of the old 'Smith here and there that might grow a little...might not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:30:41 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Agreed. On the plus side, it doesn't have that uber-polished sell-out sound they had on Just Push Play. But it's still nowhere near their best work.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:37:36 PM PDT
Better than their recent stuff, but still too many radio-friendly power ballads and the production is still too polished. I'm beginning to believe for good that, after their great '70's material, 'Permanent Vacation' and 'Pump' were just a blip of a comeback that wasn't meant to last.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 1:39:18 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
I thought their last masterpiece was Get a Grip.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:52:39 PM PDT
The more I hear new Aerosmith the more I like albums like Draw The Line and Night In The Ruts. Aerosmith was not about polished albums and perfect live shows. Raw, raunchy and intense described 70s Aerosmith. Boring is how I describe new Aerosmith.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:56:58 PM PDT
K. Carter says:
I hope it's good. They were one of my favorite bands back in high school (the '77 show I saw remains the loudest I've ever experienced), but they lost me after "Ruts", and I don't know anything they've done since except the hits. If it's even half as good as Rocks, I'd probably buy it.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 2:12:39 PM PDT
i always thought nine lives and just push play were far better than get a grip, pump, permanent vacation, done with mirrors, or rock in a hard place...

i love all aerosmith, but to me the 80's/early 90's efforts were the weakest....to me their worst album was get a grip...has only 2 songs i still play to this day (eat the rich & livin' on the edge)....

i have heard 4 songs off of the new album, and i can't wait to buy the 2 cd & 1 dvd deluxe version of this album!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:29:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:06:29 PM PDT
AlexMontrose says:
Re : Better than their recent stuff, but still too many radio-friendly power ballads and the production is still too polished

Radio friendly stuff aside part of the big anticipation for this album was *because* of the production, the producer, Jack Douglas. He was at the controls for their best albums in the 70's, Get your wings, Toys and Rocks. So naturally the almost obligatory "return to form" talk was even stronger than normal.

I don't know about you guys but I hope Aerosmith saved their receipt. Not that it's bad or poor production but it doesn't really stand out imo. They should have tweaked this thing until they really got a no doubt about it "sound" reminiscent of those days. Dirty, nasty and pummeling. And with the same producer, it's surprising to me they didn't.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 8:09:52 AM PST
Working Man says:
Alex, thanks for this last post. I was hoping for something more gritty and less polished. That was when Aerosmith was best IMO. I am still on the fence on this but leaning toward falling off. My only problem is I have all the other Aerosmith albums, maybe I will wait six months for this to drop to $4.99.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 9:52:25 AM PST
I think when they had the hit "Angel" that was co-written with a pop writer they kind of lost their direction. Were torn which way to go. And they still are. They did a "blues" album and it still had the overdone stuff all over it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 4, 2012 10:14:18 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 4, 2012 10:19:31 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
Working,

I'm not trying to down the album. I gave it a B- so that's pretty good...for now, after one listen. But another true test is whether you're jonesin' to hear it again. I'm not. I will of course listen again but as of now, it's not an obsession like it would be if it had that special something.

Fernandez,

Yeah, that's where all the sell out stuff started, with the ballads and the songs written for them by outsiders. There's a couple songs on this one with a different lead singer. Doesn't sound like Perry either. But without reading the liner notes, I wouldn't be surprised if Douglas, the producer, wrote those songs and maybe is singing them too.

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:45:35 AM PST
Working Man says:
Alex, I understand. I planned on getting the new album, especially since it was supposed to be a throw back album. From what I have heard it sounds more like a 90's album than a 70's album. I will likely eventually get it, but I have a few albums ahead of it on my wish list at the moment with the promise of some others yet to be released.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 6:48:11 AM PST
zlh67 says:
"...it's certainly no Pump or Get a Grip."

----

That's all I need to hear to know I'd be better off saving my $12 or whatever. "Pump" had a few songs I can still enjoy today, though only 1 I'd put in my "Best of Aerosmith" playlist ("Janie's Got A Gun"), but "Get A Grip" in particular was very weak to me. If this album doesn't measure up to THOSE? Pass.

For my taste, the last Aerosmith album that I would buy again if I suddenly lost my copy would be "Done With Mirrors".

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:02:02 AM PST
everyone hates on Nine Lives and Just Push Play, but to me, those two albums are far better than all of their 80's era and the Get a Grip album...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:14:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 8:29:49 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 9:44:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 9:46:54 AM PST
I heard 4 new songs and thought they were all terrible. I'll be skipping this one like I have every Aerosmith release since Vacation. Truth being told, I don't dig this band nearly as much as I used to, only Toys and Rocks can hold my attention even slightly today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 9:48:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 9:54:12 AM PST
AlexMontrose says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 12:30:20 PM PST
Legendary Child...Luv XXX - which may have the most juvenile lyrics ever, and the last two were ballads..What Could Have Been love...PLEASE! And don't recall the title of the fourth. I had the opportunity to hear all the songs as RollingStone.com was premiering one new track a day starting last week but after the first few, chose not to.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:41:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 12:42:00 PM PST
Here it is.....Cant Stop Loving You....A ballad with Carrie Underwood. Yeah, return to form..It's a rewrite of What It Takes.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/aerosmiths-steven-tyler-on-cant-stop-loving-you-track-by-track-premiere-20121029

If that doesn't work, try this one

http://gozie.com/video/2UKSRB415KOX/Aerosmith-Cant-stop-loving-you

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 12:44:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 5, 2012 12:45:48 PM PST
And another Dianne Warren song........

We All Fall Down

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/aerosmith-on-we-all-fall-down-track-by-track-premiere-20121031

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind ballads but not these and certainly not from Aerosmith.

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 1:07:35 PM PST
Mod Rocker says:
Just had to give a shout out to " Rock in a Hard Place "... reminds me of a single -disc Exile on Main Street... they were so smashed, just handling the thing gives me a contact high... after that, it's Mirrors, Vacation, and OUT...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  97
Initial post:  Nov 2, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 7, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions