Customer Discussions > Music forum

Ian Anderson's "Thick as a Brick 2" CD

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 13, 2012 11:10:28 AM PDT
bass boy says:
So what is the weigh in on Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson releasing a solo sequel - "Thick as a Brick 2 (TAAB2)"? What are fans' hopes and fears for this new record that bows in April, as well as Anderson's upcoming U.S. tour to support the new disc?
I'm hoping it's a strong release, and that the new tour indeed will include a set list that features both "Thick as a Brick" records back to back. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 13, 2012 12:31:38 PM PDT
Chris Carter says:
I think it's an intriguing idea, but I'm afraid it's going to be a let-down in comparison to its amazing & imaginative predecessor. But hey, hopefully I'm wrong!

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 1:08:47 PM PDT
Bass Boy ~

This one looks interesting and I'm gonna give it a go.
I'll get back to you in April if it's a keeper.

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 1:19:48 PM PDT
B L T says:
Ian Anderson is one of the great talents in all of music. I have very high hopes. I'm also hoping for a significant change musically with TAAB2, NOT a rehashing of the original. I'd like to see something new and exciting from Anderson, something along the lines of "The Secret Language of Birds" or "Rupi's Dance".

My only concern is that TAAB2 is horrible and I wasted 18 bucks. I've pre-ordered my copy Thick As A Brick 2 Special Edition.

Looks like a different format for TAAB2. I already like it. Here's the track listing for the new album:

"From A Pebble Thrown"
"Pebbles Instrumental"
"Might-have-beens"
"Upper Sixth Loan Shark"
"Banker Bets, Banker Wins"
"Swing It Far"
"Adrift And Dumfounded"
"Old School Song"
"Wootton Bassett Town"
"Power And Spirit"
"Give Till It Hurts"
"Cosy Corner"
"Shunt And Shuffle"
"A Change Of Horses"
"Confessional"
"Kismet In Suburbia"
"What-ifs, Maybes And Might-have-beens"

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 1:53:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 1:54:03 PM PDT
B L T says:
I found a video of a live version of the song "Adrift And Dumfounded". There's a hint of the "Thick as a Brick" sound, so I'm guessing it's sort of a prototype for the TAAB2 studio version. I like it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXe8xWxmESY

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 2:15:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 13, 2012 2:21:15 PM PDT
B L T says:
This might be another early version of a song from TAAB2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwMHMsea7vQ&feature=related

Posted on Mar 13, 2012 3:04:11 PM PDT
bass boy says:
Hopefully this new record will surprise us in a good way. I'm also looking forward to seeing Ian live for the first time in October. :)

Posted on Mar 14, 2012 6:46:58 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
Smoke a bowl and fire up the record!
We'll see...

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:38:06 PM PST
This record is O.K. and I would give at a solid three on the five scale.
Jethro Tull, must not be getting along as Ian went somewhere else to find people to play on this one.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 4:09:03 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
You'd have to be ;-)

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:41:26 PM PST
Working Man says:
I like it, though the spoken word pieces make it a little less appealing. I think I would enjoy it better without the spoken word parts. Musically and lyrically it's good. It's not as good as the original but it's a solid album. I would give it four out five stars, maybe 3.5 because of the spoken word.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 12:49:42 PM PST
Fischman says:
I was pleasantly surprised. It's a very ambitions concept to execute and Ian pulls it off very well. I also like the sound of the record. I usually don't care for spoken word in my rock, but some of it works quite well for me here--I like the pacing and rhythm of Ian's speech. (I also liked all the spoken poems in early Moody Blues records--maybe it's a Brit thing). It's a solid 4 - 41/2 for me.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:06:08 AM PST
Working Man says:
I don't hate the spoken word pieces and when listening to it as a whole it's fine. Where it misses the boat with me is when I am on shuffle and it pops up, the spoken word breaks the flow of music and the individual songs don't stand up in shuffle or random format.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 8:38:31 AM PST
vivazappa says:
TAAB 2--2.5 for the record...3.5 for the live preformance.
5 for both the record and live preformance of the original TAAB!

Posted on Nov 17, 2012 5:14:22 PM PST
I kind of agree with Working Man on the spoken bits, although to me they're annoying in the context of the full album. It's the kind of thing that's OK the first time, or live, or whatever, but over repeated listens they're just too long. Overall, they detract from the listenability of the disc for me. It's a pretty good album, with some great elements somewhat detracted by some elements (the spoken bits, some of the lyrics maybe). Worth having for a Tull fan that likes their later stuff - falling somewhere in between the modern Anderson ("Rupi's Dance" and "Secret Language of Birds") and classic prog-Tull leanings.
It actually DOES consist of 3/5ths modern Tull - the bassist and keyboardist are current touring Tullites, even if they haven't recorded as Tull yet (because Tull hasn't done an album in ages). I have yet to WHY it's been an Anderson project - maybe Ian wanted HIS name on it, maybe Martin was busy and Ian was on a schedule?
The show was great - both TAABs back-to-back with an intermission and no opening band. TAAB1 was pretty much saved by the use of an assistant vocalist - Ian's loss of vocal abilities really weakens the performances these days, I'm afraid (not so bad on the newer material originally recorded by the older Ian, but the last few times I saw Tull/Anderson they focused on material Ian recorded in his early 20s). The band, as always, sounded great - the brilliant (and long-neglected) music of the full TAAB, of course, was a major delight to hear live.

In reply to an earlier post on May 24, 2013 10:33:15 PM PDT
I don't listen to this new 'Brick' very often (about six plays since last year) and the spoken word parts I will skip over now but it's good (not great) but good.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 4:01:40 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
Didn't care for this disc and I think A Passion Play was much better.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 7:41:12 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I think the spoken word is keeping me from going back and listening to the album more often. I wish it was a commentary that we could turn off. I may need to load the songs into Audacity and make an edited version of the album without the spoken word.

Posted on Jun 17, 2013 7:13:28 AM PDT
vivazappa says:
That's why I bought the music only version of PETE'S Psychoderelict...I hated the spoken word parts.

Posted on Oct 3, 2013 5:03:48 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
I wonder when A Passion Play II is coming out.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Mar 13, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 3, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions