Customer Discussions > Music forum

Favorite British Invasion Bands That Disappeared Too Soon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2012 8:16:13 AM PST
Steve Vrana says:
My formative years were the 1960s, and when anyone mentions the British Invasion of that era they rattle off all the usual suspects: The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Animals, Dave Clark Five, Herman's Hermits.

But what about the bands who had only a handful of hits and then seemingly disappeared within a year--especially from the American pop music charts? What artist do you think deserved a longer run?

Here's two of my nominees:

1. The Honeycombs - First of all, "Have I the Right?" (No. 5, 1964) just rocked, and how cool was it that they had a girl drummer?

2. Unit Four plus Two - More folk than rock, but for me "Concrete and Clay" (No. 28, 1964) was one of the quintessential songs of the era.

Both of these artists were one-hit wonders, but the sixties playlist on my mp3 player wouldn't be complete without these two songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 8:21:20 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
I'm a Brit (a Scot actually) and would add the Searchers' 'Needles And Pins' to the great songs you've already mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 9:42:53 AM PST
DKPete says:
WOW!!! Another Concrete and Clay fan!!! Till now I've been thinking I was the only one in the known universe.

On the DC5...while they didn't "go away" all too fast, I wish they had stayed more relevant for the time period they WERE around. Without going into research right now, I think they continued charting (albeit, pretty weakly) till around 1967. Unfortunately, their unique energy and style seemed to have all but fizzled by 1965...the only thing they did for that year, musically, which stood up to their great records from the previous year was, Catch Us if You Can.

It would have been good to see them progress a bit further.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 11:30:59 AM PST
Two great choices Steve. Joe D

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:09:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:45:15 PM PST
Hinch says:
Gerry and The Pacemakers were very good but never evolved from the Mersey Beat sound. I own The Honeycombs' first album, released in the U.S. as HERE ARE THE HONEYCOMBS, which included Have I The Right. It was released in Sept '64. Very good album!. The bass player John Lantree is the brother of drummer Honey Lantree. The lead singer Denis D'ell passed away in '05 of cancer. The band broke up in '67 after several original members had quit and been replaced. There are 2 bands currently touring as The Honeycombs, one with some of the original members.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:42:15 PM PST
Geezerguy says:
Marmalade
Tremeloes

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 2:35:29 PM PST
Not groups but
Adam Faith - Its Alright - a scorching rocker
Sandy Shaw - Who sang barefooted - "Anyone who had a heart" "Girl don't come"

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:28:20 PM PST
Micaloneus says:
The original Searchers with Tony Jackson on lead vocals and bass.

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 5:45:34 PM PST
Steve Vrana says:
Micaloneous, "Needles and Pins" was one of my favorite songs from 1964. I own THE PYE ANTHOLOGY 1963-1967 (I reviewed it 12 years ago); unfortunately, it is currently out of print. They only charted a handful of singles here, but they had three No. 1's in the U.K.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 5:02:45 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 5:03:23 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Good Morning:

I have scored some multi-disc sets of this general genre this year pretty reasonably. All new from Marketplace sellers:

Adam Faith Very Best of
Gerry and the Pacemakers Best of Gerry & the Pacemakers
Searchers Definitive Pye Collection
Lulu The Complete Mickie Most Recordings: To Sir With Love
Dusty Springfield Complete a & B Sides 1963-1970

Doubtless there are more collections of these and other artists available, and the above may not be absolutely definitive, however they more than meet my expectations.

Merry Christmas, all....

GT

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 6:05:20 AM PST
Grandpa, The Searchers definitive pye is really good. I would consider The Searchers one of the most underrated of all the British invasion groups. Although I know they were more successful in their home land than they were here but STILL under appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 7:38:14 AM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Yes, it's a great set. 75 tracks on 3 cd's for about $10. The sound is excellent, also.

Being prompted by this discussion, I think I'mm gonna try to score a MARMALADE compilation. I only know Reflections of My Life, which is a great song.

Any suggestions from anyone?

Thank you in advance,
GT

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 8:23:21 AM PST
Grandpa, I checked out some Marmalade last year as I love Reflections Of My Life also and I was very dissapointed. I CAN recommend these CD's though of British invasion stuff if you don't already know them. Silence Is Golden:The Best Of The Tremeloes, a 2 CD set. The BBC Sessions-The Zombies and Fairport Convention. The Fairport is not really linked in with the British Invasion but it IS the 1st Fairport album (1967 or 68) and very different from all others. It is psychedelic and contains some covers. Before Sandy Denny even. Lead vocalist was Judy Dyble.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 11:56:22 AM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
While the Searchers were more popular in the UK, the did have 7 top 40 hits in the US - not too shabby by most standards. I would add the Hollies "Clarke, Hicks, & Nash Years" to the "must have" list. Not sure of the best Zombies release. The Zombie Heaven box is great, and the BBC recordings good too. Any suggestions on a Manfred Mann collectiion?

We've had discussions before on the DC5. Guess I'll have to get a book to find out what really happened to them. I suppose Dave retired since he made so much money. It was too bad they didn't evolve like some other groups. Mike Smith had one of the best rock voices in history. We are all still puzzled at the paucity of their catalog.

Came across the original Honeycombs LP at a thrift store, and was really disappointed to find that the vinyl was pretty much unplayable. Weren't they produced by Joe Meeks -- speaking of writing a book about someone?

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:47:48 PM PST
Oddesy And Oracle is essential and then there are many comps to choose from. I managed to get collect all the Zombies material through an import called The Zombies collection Vol 2 released in 1988 and a Greatest Hits released in 1995 that contains an excellent interview with Rod Argent. And of course I already mentioned the BBC Sessions. I would probably recommend Zombie Heaven (the box set) although I never got it because I feel like I would be putting out a lot of money for most of what I already have. But avoiding budget CD's and going for good compilations, you can't go wrong. All of their singles (at least most of them) were first rate and should have been big hits. Even most of the B Sides are of excellent quality.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:20:41 PM PST
Johnny Bee,
I love the Searchers. They had many hits and still perform today.
John

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:23:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 4:24:30 PM PST
How about the Troggs?
And the Swinging Bluejeans.
John

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:29:34 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 4:34:57 PM PST
But in the UK the hits kept coming until 1970.
I think they broke up around the same time as The Beatles did.

I like 'Concrete and Clay' too. I first heard it 30 years ago on a tape I bought, called "British Blockbusters" which featured 20 songs/artists from the Decca label.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:32:53 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 4:55:27 PM PST
In terms of commercial success, The Zombies didn't last as long as they should. They split in 1967, but left a lot of good work behind them that is more popular now than it was back then.

They happened to be enormously popular in The Philippines, more so than the Beatles. Zombiemania was a big thing there.

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 4:44:47 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
To kind of turn the original question on its head, there is a band that never really appeared as an invasion band but are still together: the Status Quo. Being a Yank, I don't know much about them except that, although they were together in 1964 when the invasion happened, it was not until a few years later that they settled on their name and sound. I understand they have had 20 some top ten UK hits and lots of hit albums, but I think we in the US only got "Pictures of Matchstick Men" as a single and I'm not sure if any albums were released. Strange story.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:48:03 PM PST
Hinch says:
I had forgotten about that song. Never was a favorite, but it's not bad.

http://youtu.be/ougF5Q78tyo

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:51:28 PM PST
Hinch says:
Status Quo performing "Pictures of Matchstick Men" in 2009. I would have never thought they were still together.

http://youtu.be/_iTV-Jgw2u0

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:52:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 23, 2012 4:52:46 PM PST
I think Status Quo's biggest period was in the 70's, when they were a boogie type band, in the UK/Australian charts at least. Very popular.
Though they did start in the 60's as a more psychedelic band, with hits like the one you mentioned.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 23, 2012 4:57:21 PM PST
I agree, their singles were really good, should have done better.
Certainly agree about the many excellent B sides.

Posted on Jun 16, 2013 12:48:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2013 12:48:30 PM PDT
A. Strong says:
The Yardbirds folded in 1968 when Jimmy Page left the group to start up Led Zeppelin. The Yardbirds replaced Clapton with Jeff Beck and then again Jimmy Page was brought in an took over the lead guitar role. In 1968 a player like Mick Taylor from John Mayall's band could have stepped in and kept the Bird flag flying. The Yardbirds should have gone on forever....Great band!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions