Customer Discussions > Music forum

The first record you bought that BLEW YOUR MIND...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 82 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 18, 2013 7:23:43 AM PST
vivazappa says:
...and you were never quite the same after it!

Quadrophenia!!!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:26:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 8:33:28 AM PST
Barry Smith says:
"Ghost In The Machine" by the Police. I was 11 years old when I got it on cassette and I was just getting into popular music (circ 1981-82). I never heard the Police before, (or much of anything else) so this was my first album.

It was the way it sounded...like it was recorded in the future or in outer space. Some people said it was a dark album, but it's very dark in space! What a spacey album!! Sort of a sci-fi masterpiece. Their next record, Synchronicity, sort of continued that spacey vibe, but "Ghost In The Machine" was the one that really put some strange futuristic images in my pre-teen head!

Most mind blowing songs: "Secret Journey" "Omegaman" "Rehumanize Yourself" "Spirits In The Material World."

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:33:24 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:32:42 AM PST
mac says:
After my mind was destroyed by St. Pepper's and Trout Mask, it was bent beyond all recognition by "The Inner Mounting Flame"!

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:42:08 AM PST
D. Griffith says:
I can still remember flipping Abbey Road over and laying down on my bed to listen to side two and when I got up I was a different person. It was the first album I ever bought after amassing a collection of 45s. Man, I'm glad I was alive when that music was happening.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 8:53:52 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 23, 2013 1:25:38 PM PST]

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:21:00 AM PST
I bought my first three LPs with my first salary as a delivery boy for the local pharmacy back in 1974:

Led Zeppelin IV
Relayer
Tales From Topographic Oceans

I have never regretted that purchase.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:24:01 AM PST
B L T says:
The Beatles' "Magical Mystery Tour" was my mind blowing ground zero.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:55:58 AM PST
ED S. says:
"Victory At Sea"-Richard Rogers (Soundtrack)

Really....

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:08:09 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Well, I didn't buy it, but.... KISS Alive! My older brother borrowed if from a friend and it was the first band/album I completely obsessed over. It made me the rock and roll degenerate I am today...

First one I bought myself would be Pink Floyd, "The Wall". Till then, every album I liked anyway was mostly just a collection of songs. But here was a double album with a storyline encompassing multiple themes and music that featured a choir, spoken bits, amazing sound effects, etc. It was like a movie for the ears and yet was very thought-provoking too. It instantly became my favorite album and still holds that spot today I would say...

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:08:12 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Prince's "Purple Rain"

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:13:49 AM PST
vivazappa says:
zlh:
That's how I felt about Quadrophenia...a double record with a story ect...
Quad is still #2 (behind Exile) on my all time list.

The Lamb was the same but I had many records by then.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:27:43 AM PST
2 albums I bought at the same time back in the day. I finally had some music that I liked and felt was made just for me.
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath
Paranoid-Black Sabbath

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:28:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 18, 2013 10:28:28 AM PST
Music Lover says:
At 10 years old, a friend of my Dad's gave me two homemade cassettes. The first had Zeppelin IV on one side and Who's Next on the other. The other had Rod Stewart's Every Picture Tells A Story and Springsteen's Born To Run on it. I enjoyed both but the first tape snapped 3 months later from overuse and I had to go out and purchase my own tapes

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 10:59:51 AM PST
zlh67 says:
Viva -- I didn't get into the Who until later and Quadrophenia in particular until MUCH later, and I do like the album -- a lot, actually --but for whatever reason, the plots/themes, etc. never really connected with me. It doesn't stop me from enjoying the album, but I don't feel the emotional attachment with that one. I prefer Tommy but don't like that or Quad quite as much as "The Wall".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 11:09:48 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
@vivazappa,

Great theme for a thread!

There were plenty of records back in the day that had a big impact. I recall being particularly blown away by 'Close to the Edge' back in autumn '72. I think I listened to that album at least once a day for the first three or four months that I had it, trying to take it all in. 'Relayer' was arguably a more striking record, but by the time it was released I was pretty much 'ready' for its sound.

Other records that had a HUGE impact on first hearing:

THE BEATLES: Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
THE BEATLES: (White Album)
ROLLING STONES: Their Satanic Majesties Request
MOTHERS OF INVENTION: Freak Out!
JEFFERSON AIRPLANE: After Bathing at Baxters
BOB DYLAN: John Wesley Harding
JIMI HENDRIX EXPERIENCE: Electric Ladyland
CREAM: Wheels of Fire
MOODY BLUES: In Search of the Lost Chord
LED ZEPPELIN: II & III
BLACK SABBATH: (first)
GEORGE HARRISON: All Things Must Pass
KING CRIMSON: Lark's Tongues in Aspic
THE WHO: Quadrophenia
TANGERINE DREAM: Phaedra
KLAUS SCHULZE: Blackdance
XTC: English Settlement
THE CLASH: Sandinista!
JOY DIVISION: Closer
ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN: Heaven Up Here
NEW ORDER: Power, Corruption and Lies
THE SMITHS: (first)
DAVID SYLVIAN: Brilliant Trees
PREFAB SPROUT: Steve McQueen
FELT: Forever Breathes the Lonely Word
ROBIN HITCHCOCK: I Often Dream of Trains
SONIC YOUTH: Daydream Nation
PIXIES: Doolittle

I still listen to these when I can find time...and that's just mostly mainstream Rock...

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 11:27:30 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2013 6:24:18 AM PST
Shining Star says:
I remember the first time I bought & listened to the "Head To The Sky" album by Earth, Wind and Fire which I played over and over again. I had been truly moved by other LP's prior to hearing this one, but it was the one that forever changed my perception of music, what it was and could be.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 11:29:20 AM PST
Shining Star says:
Barry- "Ghost In The Machine" is my favorite by the Police as well.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:26:29 PM PST
I rarely paid for music until after college. Classic hard rock and new pop radio had been sufficient and better yet was free. Got my first boombox for my tenth birthday with the cassette of "Xanadu" which my whole family had went to see on vacation the month before. Silly movie, great songs. At 15 then 16, I found somebody's copies of Van Halen "Diver Down" then INXS "Shabooh Shoobah" they had left in my mom's car and listened to each one obsessively for about a year. The first record I bought as an adult that blew my mind was Kraftwerk "The Mix" which I still love more than the other 3.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 1:47:29 PM PST
I had a lot of records that blew my mind. But one that really got to me was John Lennon Plastic Ono Band. I have always been interested in lyrical content and I had never heard anyone bare his soul like that before. Coupled with the stripped down music and the primal scream therapy, I knew then and there I wanted to write. I had been writing but that was like a dam bursting open. The album still blows my mind after all these years.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 9:58:51 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Fun and memory-jogging topic.

First experience was 5th grade Art class. There was 1 Art teacher that went to all the 4-6th grade classrooms in my good-sized elementary school. One class session in the fall of 1967, she wheeled in the steel 3-tier cart that was about 5' tall, and on top was a mono phonograph that must've weighed 50 pounds. Of course, the tonearm itself likely weighed in at 10 pounds itself.

Anyway, our Art teacher played a track on a recently released album called Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. The track was Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.

The students' assignment was to listen closely to the lyrics, pick out a character, and draw or paint it. Newspaper taxis, girl with kaleidoscope eyes, and others. She replayed the song for about 45 minutes until the period end. I don't remember what I tried to draw, but the experience was magical! My aunt gifted the MONO version for Christmas that year, as my folks only had a mono Motorola phonograph.

To honor the discussion, the first record I purchased (with paper route earnings) that really blew me away was TOMMY. I remember saving for almost a month and buying TOMMY, the Stones' Big Hits (High Tide and green Grass), and Steppenwolf (S/T) at the same time. All were incredible albums, and to an 12 year-old, well, they really made a wonderful impression.

I had already purchased Pinball Wizard as a 45, and was expecting more of the same. But, when the record store owner guided me to The Who's section, retrieved the album from the rack, and placed that heavy, 3-fold, 2-lp DECCA set in my hands, with that album cover, I just KNEW I was in for something truly special. It was the first of the 3 albums I played when I got home, and, man-o-man, was I right!!! The first breath of life, an instant before the first strum opening TOMMY's Overture, I knew I would never experience anything musically like it again (in all the best ways). TOMMY was a true learning curve for me in music appreciation, not only the excellence of the sound, the intelligence of the songwriting, it held my attention throughout all 4 sides. The long songs and instrumentals spring-boarded me into appreciating classical music before many of my pals.

All the best,
GT

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 18, 2013 10:07:04 PM PST
"Tommy" is a great experience GT.

The openening overture with Townsends excellent acoustic playing can still send shivers up my spine.

"It's a boy Mrs. Walker, it's a boy....."

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 3:14:23 AM PST
onsenkuma says:
@GT,
Funny how this stuff CAN spark a memory! One hot day in summer '69 I too came home with three great records: The Who's 'Tommy'; Jefferson Airplane's 'Bless It's Pointed Little Head'; and Julie Driscoll/Brian Auger & The Trinity's 'Streetnoise'. In those days, everything was tightly shrinkwrapped, so you usually didn't get to see the full panorama of an album cover like 'Tommy' until you got it home. And you're right: the experience of listening to this album WAS like a breath of life. (Man, I miss that feeling of coming home from an indie shop after a good hunt and wasting the rest of the day away listening to a new find.) There was a real mystery about the images on the cover than was matched by those elusive lyrics. Thanks for jogging a great memory GT!

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 4:07:13 AM PST
Patti Smith's "Horses" turned my brain inside out and permanently changed my world view on music, art and being female (not necessarily in that order).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 19, 2013 7:17:41 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 19, 2013 7:18:11 AM PST
club 7 says:
the velvet underground and nico.
a friend of mine had asked me if i ever heard of them and when i told him no he said you don't know what you're missing.
i put it on and was blown away by the alternative darkness of venus in furs with it's lashing viola sounds and it's hypnotic rhythmic drone.
oh and those lyrics were so twisted with their delight in those shiny boots of leather.
pretty heavy stuff for a kid.
"im waitin' for the man" rocked with the raw primal vibe of making that score and when the velvets wanted to make beauty they did it in spades as heard in the enchnting "i'll be your mirror".
oh and what was that demented distorted manifesto called european son.
what can i say except the velvet underground and nico is one wild trip and hasn't lost one bit of it's incandescent spontaneous groundbreaking spirit.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 8:50:53 AM PST
This guy. A cover a Homer & Jethro classic:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLbHSZ3ndtg
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  67
Total posts:  82
Initial post:  Jan 18, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 4, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions