Customer Discussions > Music forum

Neil Young fans - what are your fave Neil albums post-Harvest Moon?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 6:03:24 PM PST
Puffany says:
I ask this question because Harvest Moon, which I loved, was the last Neil album I bought. I had a listen to both Sleeps With Angels and Mirror when they came out but they didn't exactly grab my attention and I never got a copy of them.

Please list your faves along with a * rating next to them if possible.

Cheers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:11:59 PM PST
Interesting question. Like you I haven't bought a Neil album since Harvest Moon either. I've heard a little of the new one, is it Americana? I really like the way he did Oh Suzanna. Sleeps with Angels sucks and Mirror Ball wan't much better. It will be interesting to see what others have to say.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:28:33 PM PST
If you like "Harvest Moon" I would suggest you try out "Silver & Gold" and "Prairie Wind". They are both brilliant.

"Sleeps with Angels" is one of my favorite Neil albums. "Living with War" is great too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 6:32:22 PM PST
Favorite Michael, really? I'm going to pull that album out again and listen. It's been a long time. Maybe I'll hear something that missing for me back when it came out.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:32:29 PM PST
Jules says:
I like his first "Everybody Knows This is Nowhere" because of Cinnamon Girl, probably my fav. of all. "It's better to burn out than fade away" was my senior quote, lol. Back when I was still too young to know, definitly not Most Likely to Suceed material! I had 'Broken Arrow' which I liked. I am interested in his new album, which has gotten good reviews. Can anyone tell me what they think of it?

One of his albums, (can't remember which right now) had some recording problem, like the drums were to loud, drowning out everything else, and it had a weird echo effect. I liked some of the songs but it was hard on the ears to listen to the whole thing. Not my favorite.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:02:38 PM PST
Off topic, but a 32 minute Neil Young interview with Terry Gross, NPR, in June 2012.

http://www.npr.org/2012/06/06/154420889/neil-young-the-fresh-air-interview

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:10:35 PM PST
Puffany says:
@ suzycreamchez (Zappa fan?) - Ok, it's not a studio album but I've just remembered that I did buy 'Live At Massey Hall 1971' when it came out in 2007 - a brilliant album that Neil's management/record company (not 100% sure which) talked him out of releasing it at the time. Bad decision. In my opinion it would've been recognized as one of the legendary live albums of the 70s if released back then. I highly recommend it.

@Michael Hollerup - thanks for the suggestions.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:18:43 PM PST
To Puffany, Zappa, yes! and thanks for the suggestions. I heard that Terry Gross show too. Wasn't that the one in which they discussed and played tracks off Americana?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:42:10 PM PST
suzycreamchez: I like the dark atmosphere and the melancholy mood that can be found in almost all songs on Sleeps with Angels. The songs "Driveby", "Change Your Mind" and "Trans Am" are among his best ever in my opinion. It's an album I listen to without skipping any songs, although I'm quite pleased "Piece of Crap" is a short song.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:58:18 AM PST
D. REDFIELD says:
Le Noize is amazing...

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:53:39 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 4:54:29 AM PST
Johnny Bee says:
The only real duffer (imo) is 'Are You Passionate'.

My six favs. over the piece are:

Mirror Ball (only time I've ever liked Pearl Jam)
Broken Arrow
Prairie Wind
Chrome Dreams II
Fork In The Road
Psychedelic Pill

I'd also mention 'Road Rock', which is a very decent live album.

And the live archive stuff is all very good to excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 9:06:46 AM PST
You know Michael I haven't listened to Sleeps in years but I sing Piece of Crap all the time and Change Your Mind I liked as well.. I'm thinking "Oh were those songs on that album?" I just pulled it out. Thanks for reminding me. Mirror Ball came out right after that I think and other than the song Mirror Ball which I kinda liked because it reminded me of the town I lived in (Chico, CA) the rest of the album fell flat. I think I have too much music sometimes and not enough time these days to listen to remember it all.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 10:26:31 AM PST
I am echoeing Michael, but Prairie Wind and Silver and Gold are both good listening. I also like Mirror Ball and Psychadelic Pill. If nothing else, Neil is always unpredictable.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:56:17 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 11:56:51 AM PST
zlh67 says:
I like both "Greendale" and "Living With War". Both are uneven, but also contain some really great stuff, about 3-4 songs on each that I definitely feature in my "best of Neil Young" playlist. And I'll second "Prairie Wind". To me it's not his strongest songwriting, but there's some keepers and the sound/feel of the album is good. A very chill album imo, but in a good way.

Haven't picked up "Le Noise" or "Psychedelic Pill" just yet, but I shall....

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:36:34 PM PST
The thing about Neil is that no two of his albums can be compared as he moves like a cat and doesn't leave a trail you can follow.

After the great "Harvest Moon" record, these are my favorites:

Silver & Gold
Sleeps With Angels
Prairie Wind
&
Psychedelic Pill*
(*Neil & Crazy Horse played half of this record at the concert I attended in August and I thought it was cool that he played this new material over the songs of "Americana" that were just released) Neil. will always throw you a few curve-balls in concert.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:05:55 PM PST
Alt9999 says:
Silver & Gold (as well as Harvest Moon) rank right up there with Harvest. None of the three is as good as the excellent Comes A Time.

Sleeps With Angels now gets rated highly by critics. I like most of the record. Its a bit repetitve though. Western Hero, Trans Am, Prime of Life, Change Your Mind and Driveby are all very good.

Mirror Ball has 3 or 4 top notch songs (I'm the Ocean is a great 7 minute pummeling with some of Neil's best lyrics). But a few of the songs could use Crazy Horse's lazy swing rather than Pearl Jam's comparatively hyper backing.

I really enjoy Broken Arrow. It seems Neil learned something from touring with Sonic Youth: Sometimes its OK to revel in the glorious noise you're making. Even if song-wise its nothing special, this is exactly how Neil & the Horse should sound.

After Silver & Gold, all of his albums have been 3 or 4 songs for me, other than Psychedelic Pill which I can't say I've really absorbed yet.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:25:28 PM PST
I'm a collector, so I've bought them all, but frankly, none of them made much of an impression on me, sorry.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:43:30 PM PST
Music Hound says:
I think Silver and Gold is a fine album. It's one that I can put on and just listen all the way through. It kind of caught me by surprise as I usually don't hear too many people mention it. If you like Harvest Moon, take the advice of the others that posted it before me and try Silver and Gold.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 9:03:29 PM PST
Puffany says:
Thanks to all for your input. I've now got Prairie Wind on the way and will get Silver & Gold next. Then...???

Cheers.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Ten Years After - Savoy Brown 1967 - 1973 27 4 minutes ago
A Taste of 2014... 480 6 minutes ago
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Songs : Suite : Judy Blue Eyes by Crosby, Stills & Nash (#426) 0 8 minutes ago
Playing "Higher or Lower" With Rolling Stone's Top 500 Albums : The Clash's London Calling (#8) 69 9 minutes ago
Elton John-- Goodbye Yellow Brick Road 1973----Electric Light Orchestra Out Of The Blue 1977 1 20 minutes ago
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 1695 31 minutes ago
Lies Told In The New Jimi Hendrix Film, Which Portrays Him As As Violent And Abusive 53 32 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1427 1 hour ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 351 2 hours ago
Master Of Puppets or Reign In Blood 7 2 hours ago
Heaven And Hell with Ronnie James Dio----Ozzy Osbourne Blizzard Of Ozz 1980.. 43 2 hours ago
Glen Campbell or Jimmy Page and why?? 30 4 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions