Customer Discussions > Music forum

Calling all Kinks

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1854 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 26, 2011 6:45:55 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
Has anyone picked up the new "deluxe" sets? It appears the "great lost" stuff is now making it's official appearance on the 1st 3 releases along with tracks from "Kronikles". I understand next month we'll see, Face to Face, Something Else & Arthur. I have been trying to gain some info as to track listings but haven't had any luck.....does anyone out there know that info?

Posted on May 26, 2011 7:56:07 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
EvenSteven,
The full tracklistings are available on Amazon's UK site (amazon.co.uk). I should be receiving my limited Disk Union box of the first three in SHM mini lp ('shmini') format in the next few days, so I can hardly wait to hear these!

Posted on May 26, 2011 8:37:42 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
many thanks Onsenkuma & enjoy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 26, 2011 10:35:14 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 26, 2011 10:38:11 AM PDT
tmoore says:
Can you please clarify what you mean by first 3 releases? I assume you do NOT mean Face to Face, Something Else, and Arthur -- unless I am misunderstanding what you wrote.

You have said "new deluxe sets" (plural). I have only seen (in recent releases) one deluxe set (Kinks Kontroversy). Are there others now?

Posted on May 26, 2011 10:39:06 AM PDT
sfsorrow says:
I picked up the first three albums (Kinks, Kinda Kinks, and Kinks Kontroversy). Face to Face, Something Else and Arthur come out in June. (Village Green is a three disc deluxe edition released a few years back). So far I've been pleased with these and I am pre-ordering the next three from Amazon.uk (They are cheaper than buying them off the US website).

Posted on May 27, 2011 3:48:24 AM PDT
If you bought the Castle releases from the 1990s, unless you are an absolute completist or really need both a mono and stereo version of the Kinks albums, these Deluxes are unnecessary.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 4:14:29 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Too expensive.

I'll wait awhile till the price comes down, as they always do on Amazon.

Face to Face, Something Else & Arthur are the only ones I'd think of buying.

I just bought the 26 track 1998 release of their first album.

Posted on May 27, 2011 7:31:53 AM PDT
EvenSteven says:
F Hincholson, agree too damn expensive.
I did take a look at the amazon's uk site & the track listings on (face 2 face, something & arthur) provide nothing new in the way of un released tracks that Castle hasnt already issued. The 1st 3 sets (1st 3 lps) however are loaded with lots of "great lost" goodies and more. My komplaint with the upcoming sets would be buying recordings that I already have!....why not release (Face, Something & Arthur) as ONE disc set in thier mono form along with bonus trax at 1/2 the damn cost?! & I will wait to either find used or on sale....happy hunting.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 11:03:28 AM PDT
Dr. Howard!
Dr. Fine!
Dr. Howard!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 12:01:31 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
The Kinks are NEVER too expensive!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 1:27:27 PM PDT
Gee, what took you so long?

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 1:44:35 PM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I'd prefer if they released each in a 10 CD set so we disagree. GIVE ME MORE KINKS!!! God Save The Kinks!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 10:52:58 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Actually, for me they are.

In reply to an earlier post on May 27, 2011 10:54:52 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I sometimes buy used cds, in very good or like new condition cheap.
Sometimes the new are cheaper than used.

Posted on May 28, 2011 2:44:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2011 2:48:47 AM PDT
I checked out the track listing for "Face to Face" , to be re-issued in June, and as far as I can tell, "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" has been omitted as one of the bonus tracks. This, if correct, strikes me as absurd, as it belongs to this era and was the flip for "Sunny Afternoon".

As for the first three deluxe albums, "Kinda Kinks " is the pick of the bunch.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 3:26:14 AM PDT
I'm Not Like Everybody Else is not on Face to Face Deluxe because for some reason it has been moved to Kink Kontroversy Deluxe.
For people who do not mind ITunes downloads, the Deluxe Editions are available for about $16 on ITunes Canada; they are not available on ITunes US - why is anybody's guess.

Posted on May 28, 2011 6:48:34 AM PDT
Tim L. says:
Wish they would rerelease Give The People What They Want

Posted on May 28, 2011 6:58:39 AM PDT
Give the People What They Want is readily available on Velvel Records.

Give the People What They Want

Posted on May 28, 2011 7:01:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 28, 2011 7:05:13 AM PDT
tmoore says:
If it is true that there is no different tracks on these sets than what was on the Castle releases of the late 1990s, then I am also not interested (at least from that perspective). I would be interested though if there are some mono mixes that differ from the stereo mixes in some way (ala some of the Beatles mono mixes).

There are a few Dave Davies tracks from late '60s that I have never heard -- I'd be interested to hear those, if they are on the new releases. I do have the vinyl of Great Lost Kinks Album so I would not be interested in those tracks.

Money is not an object for me, but only to a point. I will not spend a lot of money just to get one or two new tracks.

Give the People What They Want is from a completely different era than these reissues, which are '60s material.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 7:30:17 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
The beauty in these releases are not just in the music which speaks for itself. They are brilliantly packed with extensive liner notes and photos. Unlike certain 60's groups that take 40 years to remaster their catalog and then release the albums exactly as originally released without any bonus material, The Kinks reissues ALWAYS have something new and exciting for the Kinks fan. If $$$ is truly "no object" buy them all and support this great reissue program so the record companies get the message that we WANT CDs packaged correctly and our favorite band do matter!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 7:47:23 AM PDT
Hinch says:
If I have an album already, I'm not going to buy it again, just for the packaging, liner notes or photos.

If I have a 3 set, 6 disc anthology of unreleased material, I don't need extras on the remastered albums.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 7:55:44 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
I support my bands with every release (I've bought each Elvis Costello Album about 5 times by now because of the different Bonus tracks, liner notes, and packaging) If I don't support them, then they will disappear. As to bands releasing exact replicas without any bonus tracks after a 40 year wait, that's called GREED because at some point they will release the bonus tracks on separate CD's to get more $$$$!

Posted on May 28, 2011 8:39:10 AM PDT
Hinch says:
And I suppose The Kinks cds, which were released in the 90s in mono, are being released again in stereo, with new packaging, just for fun and great caring about their fans, and not for $$$.

I'd prefer to listen to The Beatles albums as they were originally recorded, and buy cds of ALL unreleased material.

That's the difference in The Beatles and all other bands.

Their original albums can't be improved upon, and they don't need bonus tracks to generate sales.
They stand on their own in their original form, and bonus tracks would take away from that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 8:47:37 AM PDT
MiBoDoCa says:
They could have been improved upon if replaced with Kinks songs.

In reply to an earlier post on May 28, 2011 9:17:43 AM PDT
Hinch says:
<chuckle, chuckle>

Not falling in that trap.

:-)
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 75 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  60
Total posts:  1854
Initial post:  May 26, 2011
Latest post:  17 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions