Customer Discussions > Music forum

A Question for Led Zeppelin Fans : Celebration Day

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-23 of 23 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 2:22:59 PM PST
alysha25 says:
O.K. I love Led Zeppelin, yeah , enough to buy multiple copies of their songs and performances, which I don't do with too many bands. And obviously I must be WAY behind the times , as I just discovered the existence of this :

Celebration Day (2 CD + 1 DVD, DVD sized digipak)

A London 2007 concert with Jason Bonham standing in for his father as drummer. So- there's 10, yes TEN different possible versions , that includes an MP3 download. 2-CD's, DVD, bluRay, digipack etc.

I would've said 20, but that's an imprecise exaggeration, though there might as well be 20 different versions! I could probably spend days making myself crazi(er) trying to decide Which version is most worthy , or practical. I do have a BluRay player. Any advice? Does anyone own one or multiple copies of this? Thanks.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:50:54 PM PST
I'll be receiving the Blu-ray version as a Christmas gift, which has the concert on blu-ray, the music on 2 cd's and a bonus dvd of them rehearsing for the show. There is a 3 disc and a 4 disc version. The only difference between the two is the bonus dvd of the rehearsal material.
There is also a 4 disc dvd only version which has all the same content, just no blu-ray.

If you only want to listen to the concert and don't care about watching it just get the 2 cd version.

But if you have a blu-ray player and want to watch the performance then I'd definitely get the blu-ray.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:57:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jul 17, 2013 3:20:28 PM PDT
Get the blu-ray, first and foremost. The sound and picture quality is phenomenal.
And their performance is legendary...Celebration Day (Deluxe Edition 2CD, 1 Blu-Ray, 1 DVD (CD sized digipak)

The erudite cuckold, aka YMCA, insipidly attempts another disconsolate and lascivious retort. Endemic in s/he/its failure is the propensity to bequeath all innate reasoning ability unto the level of a subterranean subconsciousness that rivals that of a maggot-infested sewer rat.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:26:21 PM PST
S. Rice says:
A similar thing happened with Sigur Rós' "Inni". They had every possible combo except the one I wanted... Blu-Ray, Vinyl, FLAC. Who needs CDs and DVDs anymore?­

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 4:31:36 PM PST
JP says:
I have the BluRay/2 CD and the sound is good except in one area (and you will find there's a LOT of controversy over this)....the bass is WAY too boomy/overpowering on most of the songs. I have to turn my sub levels down more than on ANY other DVD I have but, once I have done that, it does sound excellent. (Have only listened to the CDs on headphones at work)

And SonyT Mookie is right - their performance was exceptional!! But I remember reading back then how good it was so was expecting that.

Also, it was the first time they performed Ramble On since the early 70s and the first time they performed For Your Life.......EVER!!

From your first statement there is NO doubt in my mind you need to get the BluRay/2 CD box!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 5:03:47 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 5:14:49 PM PST
You're right about the bass JP.
A stack of DVD's just bounced off my subwoofer and onto the floor during "In My Time Of Dying". lol!
Jimmy Page is freaking incredible with all his guitars, though. The man is a genius!

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 6:37:29 PM PST
B. Perry says:
Get the rehearsal package. While I loved the film, the constant change of camera views (every 3-4 sec) is on the annoying side. The rehearsal is more straightforwardly edited.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:31:23 PM PST
vivazappa says:
Hmmmm...the rehearsal...now that DVD might be worth it!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 4:57:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 4:57:51 PM PST
Puffany says:
hey vivazappa, Myself being a Zep nut, i wouldn't recommend the rehearsal version for the casual fan. The filming is mainly from a distance. The actual gig is better for the most part. With that being said, it is only a run-through the set list before the gig to iron out any major probs. Dazed's solo section isn't very good in rehearsal. The signs were there to leave it out of the gig altogether, where it failed miserably from the violin bow section onwards. I thought Page would recognize his limits a bit more than he actually did in the end.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 5:09:13 PM PST
I have the Deluxe Edition. The cds are sonically good. I can't hear Plant's vocals that well though. The blue ray is the bomb. Plant's vocals are great, John Paul Jones shows that he is still an amazing bass guitarist, Jimmy Page has the legendary riffs to go with that distinguishable tone, Jason Bonham is an animal on the drums and he shows the patience that his father had to keep the time and not show off. Great concert by a great band!

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 9:51:25 PM PST
Auntie Lynn says:
Jimmy Page is one of the greatest men who ever lived, and if you don't believe, try doing what he does for 30 years...Mwah!

Posted on Dec 19, 2012 6:41:23 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Puffany:
You sold me on it...that's the stuff I like!

I have a Stones CD boot of rehearsals for the 74 shows (last round with Taylor) it sounds like somebody snuck a mic into the studio and set it down at the back...worst sounding mess I own...and a great listen!

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 4:47:41 PM PST
Bonzo's Montreux Bump!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 12:24:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 22, 2012 12:25:58 AM PST
Ayinger says:
I bought the CD/DVD w rehearsal package. Tossed the CD in first and was at first GREATLY disappointed in the sound. Just sucked! Then got to the 3rd cut...."Black Dog" kicked in an ohhhhh MY! Not only serious business but it was like the band suddenly got the kinks out, the sound guys got their s##t together, and it became a sudden r&r nirvana as to why these guys were the godz that they were. Game OVER right then and there!

(Memory from the initial review of the show was that the sound levels were crap for the first songs)

Plant is in good form, knowing when to not to try and over-reach the high notes and consistantly brings both his dignaty and rock icon status to fore; Page is sharp and delievers the goods -- oh some flubs are there for sure but it speaks to the authenticity of the moment! Jones.....WHAT an anchor and the man is at fun with it too. Jason.....well, he does his dad good and it's a nice nod good and through for sure. NO ONE can quite capture John Bonham that's for sure and is evident in spots....but the family attitude and power is noticable without doubt.

The rehearsal footage is from a static cam.....interesting and some good sonics ("No Quarter"!) but you don't get any closeup flash. Still worthy to tag on to.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 1:55:11 PM PST
alysha25 says:
I Finally got this CD!

Was driving in my car yesterday, when a version of "Kashmir" came on the radio that I was pretty sure I hadn't heard before. It Must be from the new one, I thought. And I really liked it, considering I'm not even a big fan of the song. Good enough reason for me!

So I got the $26, 2 CD 1 blu ray no bonus edition. (I still find it ridiculous to have so many different editions). AND last night downloaded the "autorip" MP3 , a feature I'm finding I like Way more than I thought at first.

Anyhow thumbs up to "Celebration Day" ! It sounds just Awesome! The same songs but different enough to where you Know they are a different performance AND I can really hear the bass kick-ass on my little logitech computer speakers which is definitely more than I can say for almost all the CD's/MP3's I get nowadays. I'm not sure Why that is with this download but so be it!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 2:09:34 PM PST
RE: (I still find it ridiculous to have so many different editions)

What's even more ridiculous is to have something like 9 editions but not the BD only, which was really all I wanted when I bought the same edition you did.

Can't argue with the performance, though. Better than anyone had a right to expect after so many years.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 2:33:23 PM PST
It's funny you mentioned the bass on this. I noticed while watching the BD that the bass really kicks the hardest when JPJ is playing the keyboards and uses the pedal bass. I may be way off base here, but those songs just seemed to have way more bass than the others. Anyone else notice this? (By the way, this bass seemed to be hardly there during the first few songs - I think I read somewhere that it took a little while to really get the mix where it needed to be the night of the concert.)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2013 3:50:25 PM PST
Puffany says:
MB, if you watch the audience hand-cam footage that appeared on youtube shortly after the gig, you'll notice that loads of 'corrections' needed to be made before the official release came out. The feedback at the start of the show was unbearable. It's amazing that they were able to hide alot of the sound probs that they encountered on the night, so that it made the cd & dvd listenable.

Posted on Feb 6, 2013 3:55:38 PM PST
I still can't get over how well Jimmy Page performed when considering that he was in his mid 60's when it was recorded.
He was in such total control on almost all of the songs that his legend has increased greatly just from this one show.
It was good to see him enjoying this trip down memory lane as well...

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:13:41 PM PST
Okay, I downloaded this CD from amazon.com a couple of weeks ago, and I have to say that I find this CD disappointing. Granted, it is great music, considering Plant and Page are in their 60s, but I just don't think it is as good as the original recordings, or the live recordings on "The Song Remains the Same".

While listening to these songs, I am playing memorized versions in my mind, and the parts in my head are better than what I am listening to. Many of the good parts of songs I remember, just don't happen on this CD, or aren't as pronounced as on past recordings. I never felt disappointed listening to "The Song Remains the Same" CDs, but I do with "Celebration Day". It is still worth having if you are a Led Zeppelin fan, and I don't regret buying it.

Posted on Feb 8, 2013 12:30:08 PM PST
J. P. Jones is incredible with those bass pedals. My favorite song on this DVD is "For Your Life". Because you don't hear it too much and is almost exactly like the studio version. My least favorite (right now) is "Ramble On". On Led Zep2 it was a perfect studio creation.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 1:11:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 1:13:20 PM PST
bass boy says:
Mark Bumgardner says: "It's funny you mentioned the bass on this. I noticed while watching the BD that the bass really kicks the hardest when JPJ is playing the keyboards and uses the pedal bass. I may be way off base here, but those songs just seemed to have way more bass than the others. Anyone else notice this?"

Oh yeah, a keyboard will have much more umph (internal power) than a bass guitar when played at relative same volume settings, just because keyboards have a lot more juice/energy in them than standard bass pickups. My bass always wrestled for volume and space against our keyboardist whenever we ran them through subwoofers. His keyboard always had more power than my bass. Lol!
At Yes concerts, when bassist Chris Squire uses bass pedals, it is almost deafening. Lol! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2013 1:12:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2013 1:18:27 PM PST
Cincinnati Dan, It's the Blu-ray DVD of the concert that turns this into such a legendary event.
The CD's are a decent afterthought, though. IMO
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  16
Total posts:  23
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 8, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions