Customer Discussions > Music forum

Greatest Comeback Album of ALL TIME?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 178 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 28, 2013 6:35:42 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I'm gonna have to think about this one.

Van Halen had one heck of a comeback record with A Different Kind of Truth but "greatest all time?" let me hear some of your other ideas.

The Rising was darn good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 6:45:46 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 6:46:09 AM PST
BigBadAzz says:
Van Halen's ADKOT was the first one that sprung to mind when I saw your thread title.

I really loved Stone Temple Pilots self-titled comeback from 2010. Maybe not THE greatest, but right up there. I'll have another think to see if I can come up with any others to top that one.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 6:47:52 AM PST
CD Lover says:
"Blood On The Tracks" - Bob Dylan

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:02:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 7:06:24 AM PST
vivazappa says:
CD-
Good call on his Bobness...so far you're winning!

For what it's worth let me add two more...
John Hiatt--Bring th Family
Lennon--Double Fantasy (take Yuko away and this would be shorter but better)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:09:55 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 7:40:14 AM PST
Freedom- Neil Young--His most consistent release since Rust Never Sleeps, imho....

90125-YES---Although its really a newer phase with Trevor Rabin at the center of creativity, this album absolutely gave Yes a major resurgence and relevance for the 80's and forward...

Discipline- King Crimson---the same applies here, this time, Adrian Belew and Tony Levin are part of the next phase...

Two Against Nature- Steely Dan- Not that Gaucho was irrelevant nor horrible by any means, but 20 years later, Becker and Fagan manage to construct a record that maintains a consistency and proves they lost nothing within their compositional and arrangement skills, and also continued to use top notch session musicians to shape their repetoire.

Brave New World- Iron Maiden- With Bruce Dickinson and Adrian Smith back within the fold, plus utilizing the production skills of Kevin Shirley, Maiden are back for the next phase in their career and this disc is stunning proof of this resurgence.

Brutal Planet- Alice Cooper--The Last Temptation was a very solid and often times, overlooked release, but 6 years later, the musical demographic had changed and Alice managed to update his career with this heavier and relevant release in the process.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:11:26 AM PST
"Lennon--Double Fantasy (take Yuko away and this would be shorter but better)"

add the songs from Milk and Honey with this and its a winner!

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:38:07 AM PST
CD Lover says:
I think I would add the Stones' "Some Girls" in here somewhere, too. That was considered a strong comeback album when it was released because the general consensus was that their previous few albums had been sub-par Stones.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:47:08 AM PST
To a certain degree, this is true. The Stones actually sounded excited and vital again. Of Course, it didn't hurt that Miss You became a hit and helped to propel the record as a best seller. Ron Wood gets to exert his input alot more and is no longer the hired gun that he was on Black and Blue(even though he only plays on two cuts, there: Hey Negrita and Cherry Oh, Baby)...Some Girls is probably the most solid since It's Only Rock and Roll, imo.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 7:48:40 AM PST
The Allman Brothers Band - Seven Turns

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 7:55:35 AM PST
Seven Turns isn't too shabby, however, I think Shades of Two Worlds is probably the best thing since Brothers and Sisters...Enlightened Rogues wasn't bad either, even though I thought Dan Toler(RIP) was a bit too close to Dickey in their playing styles...

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:01:31 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 8:01:47 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I like Freedom and Seven Turns...two very worthy additions.

Genesis--Trick of the Tail was a sort of a comeback after Gabriel spilt...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 28, 2013 8:05:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 8:10:40 AM PST
CD Lover says:
Very good calls, Thirty-Ought six, particularly on Yes, KC and Steely Dan. Yes had splintered badly as a band before 90125 brought them back to relevance (and as with Some Girls and Miss You, it didn't hurt that Owner of a Lonely Heart was a smash hit.)

Discipline came along when a lot of us Crimson fans thought Fripp had folded the tent on them for good (then again, that's happened several times.)

Two Against Nature came along when most of us thought Becker and Fagen would probably never do another SD album and stick with their solo stuff instead; what they gave us was an excellent album and a live tour, the likes of which most of us never thought we'd hear and see.

Good call on Trick of the Tail, as well, viva. I certainly didn't think Genesis was going to attempt to forge ahead after their undisputed leader moved on. Trick of the Tail is a great album and proved that the band was indeed Genesis after all and not "Peter Gabriel and Genesis."

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:23:51 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Maybe not the greatest, but I'll add Aerosmith's "Permanent Vacation".

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:26:15 AM PST
vivazappa says:
I'm waiting to see if the new Sabbath will fit into this catagory...doubtful but one can dream.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:27:25 AM PST
John Fogerty - "Centerfield"

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:31:48 AM PST
Lauren says:
Neil Young - Freedom (remember this album came out after about a decade of albums that "didn't sound like Neil Young" according to his record company and many longtime fans)

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:32:39 AM PST
J. Coco says:
Speaking of Van Halen, and Genesis continuing without Peter Gabriel and releasing "A Trick Of The Tail", how about Van Halen's "5150"? They were so distraught when David Lee Roth left that they supposedly considered becoming a backup band for Sammy Hagar and then came to their senses and recorded their first # 1 album (although "1984" which should have hit # 1 peaked at # 2).

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:43:31 AM PST
If not Blood on the Tracks then Time Out of Mind.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 8:48:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 9:38:23 AM PST
Randy says:
Some good ones mentioned so far:

Centerfield
Bring the Family
Seven Turns

But these are two of my favorites:

JOHNNY CASH: American Recordings
WARREN ZEVON: Life'll Kill Ya

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:21:08 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
Celtic Frost - Monotheist

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:21:17 AM PST
Dylan could show up on here a few times. But Blood On The Tracks is a pretty solid pick. Most of the albums I would pick are already here like Freedom, American Recordings and Centerfield. I would also add, Cloud Nine-George Harrison, Mystery Girl-Roy O, Long Distance Voyager-The Moody Blues and Graceland-Paul Simon.

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:27:10 AM PST
Mike B. says:
Marianne Faithfull - "Broken English"

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:40:00 AM PST
Lou Presley says:
Marianne Faithfull: Broken English
Steve Miller: The Joker
Doug Sahm: Doug Sahm & Friends
Levon Helm: Dirt Farmer
Bonnie Raitt: Nick Of Time
The Pretty Things: Rage Before Beauty
Eric Burdon: My Secret Life
Shelby Lynne: I Am Shelby Lynne

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 9:47:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 28, 2013 9:48:56 AM PST
James Warner says:
Perhaps not of all time, but three welcome returns after long absences:
Kate Bush - Aerial
Wendy & Lisa - White Clouds Of Winter Chimneys
B52s - Funplex

Posted on Feb 28, 2013 10:18:12 AM PST
Heaven And Hell-Black Sabbath-After Ozzy got fired and 2 less than stellar albums(Techical Ecstasy and Never Say Die) Sabbath was on life support. Then they got Ronnie James Dio and he rejuvenated the band and they made what may be their best album ever.

Angel Of Retribution-Judas Priest
Blood Of Nations-Accept
Ironbound-Overkill
Black Gives Way To Blue-Alice In Chains
Perfect Strangers-Deep Purple
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

ARRAY(0x971d6618)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  63
Total posts:  178
Initial post:  Feb 28, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions