Customer Discussions > Music forum

Will America Ever be Ready for a "Hip-Hop American Idol" Show?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 8, 2012 10:19:08 AM PST
MTK says:
I'm pretty sure this is a million dollar idea waiting to happen. Contestants enter the stage, have a rhyming battle or original freestyle and have rap artists give their opinions. Why is this show not on already??

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:31:08 AM PST
Sharptop says:
No

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:45:46 AM PST
Severin says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 10:49:49 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Sure why not...I won't watch it...but what the hey!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:10:45 AM PST
MTK says:
Thats kind of a knee jerk reaction to hip hop. Freestyle rhymes dont have to be ugly at all-- they may end up that way, but theres nothing inherently offensive about the style of music. Im not the biggest fan of rap either, but this idea is ripe as a money making venture!

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 11:24:41 AM PST
Working Man says:
I won't watch. No Hip Hop or Rap for me. I struggle to watch it as it is. I think they need to bring back Nashville Star and Rock Star. The could have Rock Star "Queen" to find a new singer for Queen.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 11:28:32 AM PST
B. slowe says:
no because trey songz is shallow self hating bastard

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:06:43 PM PST
Dr. Mikey says:
Along with Dancing With the Stars, I'll watch Hip Hop American Idol when it involves singing and dancing off a cliff.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 1:15:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 14, 2012 4:31:01 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 1:17:21 PM PST
MTK says:
Dr. Mikey: I think the entertainment value of THAT show just might hold up!

No doubt singing competitions have far more broad appeal than a hip-hip showdown. There IS an audience for this type of show, i'm sure however it would offend the sensibilities of people who require melody and harmony to call something "music".

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:21:16 PM PST
ED S. says:
This thread sounds like the jokes told on the floor of the Romney Campaign Headquarters the night of the election?
A lot of hip hop TODAY is done with a singer and some pretty rich musical accompanyment. Usually layered electronica with or without a band. There is all types of hip hop like there is all types of rock music
Try "The Voice". They have the contestants do hip hop sometimes. Usually not however.
Listen to KIIS Los Angeles to hear some good stuff during the weekday. Night time is different.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:24:19 PM PST
B. slowe says:
philadelphia stripper.......tell me more?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:25:06 PM PST
B. slowe says:
hip hop is not a talent. well new school anyway

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 4:26:24 PM PST
Severin says:
Isn't hip hop for rabbits?

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 4:32:34 PM PST
Neaklaus says:
Perhaps on Cable. I wouldn't be surprised if someone did that sometime soon. If they had it on Network T.V., the performers would have to watch everything they said or sung. otherwise the show would be a whole lot of sound effects to cover up the language.
It might also have limited appeal to viewers.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:59:00 AM PST
vivazappa says:
You know...now that I think about it...DO IT!!!

It might even be fun to check in with these guys who think they are bad-@$$ rappers and watch them.
Most of them will be funny...try real hard (those are the funniest ones)...and be worse than Vanilla Ice!!!

Host: Arsenio
Judges: Ted Nugent...Lemmy...Simon Cowell

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:30:22 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 11:10:07 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
Dear God, I hope not.................................on second thought, this might work out pretty well if they stick it on MTV. They can put it on right between "The Real Housewifes of Biloxi" and "Jersey Shore". It'll do great!

Host: George W Bush
Judges: Bob Dylan.......Paul McCartney......Roger Waters. It'll be worth it just to see the expression on their faces!! I can just hear Roger now - "Bollocks. What in bloody hell was that?"

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:13:27 PM PST
Is that cartoon bunny from the "Hop" movie available to host it?

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 2:22:00 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> I certainly hope not. It doesn't require much talent, there's little or no melody and the subject matter is often violent and/or misogynistic.

That's not the problem. The problem is that American Idol, and all TV singing competitions, are based on covers. Hip-hop isn't about covers. You have to do original material, and show producers tend to frown at that. Not to mention that 95 per cent of hip-hop has profanity in it. Finally, there aren't too many hip-hop artists who are innovating musically. A competition with five hip-hop artists might work, but 30 of them in a row, week after week, would be paralyzingly repetitive.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Thank you for your support of Amazon Discussion Forums. Due to the changing needs of Amazon Forums, we have decided to stop supporting the ‘Active discussions in related forums’ feature in order to focus on providing the most value for our customers.  

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions