Customer Discussions > Music forum

What is the best Jimi Hendrix album

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 31 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 20, 2013 12:03:28 PM PST
Tim L. says:
My opinion is Are You Experienced, its just so good from top to bottom, not that his other albums bad but if had to chose 1 this is it...

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:05:10 PM PST
mac says:
I'm thinking Axis, but Electric Ladyland and Band of Gypsys are so good...

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:12:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 12:12:57 PM PST
"Are You Experienced?" is the most focused, the most hungry (ie. with the most to prove), the most influential, the most filler-free, and the most explosive, so it's still my pick. "Electric Ladyland" is more ambitious and its high points are higher, but there's some filler on side two IMO. "Axis" is the least of the Big Three by default, but that doesn't mean it's not also a masterpiece with some of my favorite-ever Hendrix cuts on it; I also think its slightly mellower, more relaxed tone is a nice contrast to AYE?. "Band Of Gypsies" is a different kettle of fish altogether because it's live with a different band...I never liked it as much, although "Machine Gun" is the obvious highlight. I think if he had actually finished "First Rays Of The New Rising Sun" it would have been another classic, but since it's not a finished album (I estimate it was about 3/4 complete when he died, with some songs finished, others in various stages of completion, and no definitive track selection set), it's hard to judge it.

So my vote goes to "Are You Experienced?", either the UK or US versions.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:20:49 PM PST
I'll go with Electric Ladyland, with Are You Experienced a close second, and Band of Gypsys third. Never been too crazy about Axis, it's a little soft.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:29:57 PM PST
Music Lover says:
For me the preference is:
1. Are You Experienced?
2. Axis:Bold As Love
3. Electric Ladyland
4. First Rays Of The New Rising Sun
5. Band Of Gypsys

but I enjoy them all

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:33:51 PM PST
vivazappa says:
Live at the Forum (from his last tour...mind-blowing stuff)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:43:09 PM PST
TC says:
Are You Experienced?

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 12:56:43 PM PST
@vivazappa: Well if we're counting live albums, I'd go with either the Feb '69 Royal Albert Hall show or the April '69 San Diego concert. I dearly wish the film of the Royal Albert Hall show would see official release, as I feel it captured Hendrix at his very best with The Experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 1:59:51 PM PST
Two Tub Man says:
Electric Ladyland
Are You Experienced?
Axis:Bold As Love

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:06:11 PM PST
A customer says:
Electric Ladyland

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 2:16:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 2:19:21 PM PST
Best Album-Are You Experienced?
Best Album Side-Electric Ladyland-
Still Raining Still Dreaming
House Burning Down
All Along The Watchtower
Voodoo Child(Slight Return)

Most Underrated Album-Rainbow Bridge

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 4:41:05 PM PST
eastrich2015 says:
Are You Experienced?

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 8:48:19 AM PST
Zaplightning says:
Hendrix rules...I love all of Jimi's albums, my favorite is Electric Ladyland.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 1:32:56 PM PST
onsenkuma says:
'Are You Experienced' was an absolute killer debut, but I seldom listen to it. The album's main tracks plagued Jimi's setlist nearly to the end. I find it hard to sit through most of his live recordings save Band of Gypsies, 'cause there's only so many times I can hear Purple Haze, Fire, Manic Depression or Foxey Lady.

IMO Electric Ladyland was his creative peak. More from the Band of Gypsies would have been nice. Had he lived to polish up First Rays of the New Rising Sun then it would have given Ladyland a run for the money and marked a whole new direction for his music. His passing robbed us all of great things to come...

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:00:55 PM PST
metal maniac says:
Experienced-

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 2:07:14 PM PST
MC says:
Electric Ladyland by quite a ways....

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 3:24:19 PM PST
Johnny Bee says:
I'm definitely in a minority, but Axis: Bold As Love has always been my favorite. A bit mellower than it's predecessor and successor, but If 6 Was 9; Spanish Castle Magic; and Little Wing. Superb!

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:24:11 PM PST
zlh67 says:
There are select cuts on Axis and Electric Ladyland that I like as much as anything on the debut, but "Are You Experienced" is the only one I can put on and listen to start to finish pretty much every time. Not a bad cut on it...

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 6:41:21 PM PST
Grandpa Tom says:
Are You Experienced

Reasons:
1-The Wind Cries Mary
2-Hey Joe
3-Foxey Lady
4-Purple Haze

I know the following are bonus tracks, yet they're on the reissues:

5-Remember
6-Red House

Friends, just listen to these tracks with concentration and purpose without distractions. Turn off the tv, computer, and phone. Put on your best audio system. Invite the neighbors (they'll thank you).

Mary, Remember, Joe, Red House, in order, are my all-time fave Jimi tracks. Wind and Remember make my all-time top-20.

Hard to believe this was created 46 years ago.....

All the best,
GT

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 6:48:21 PM PST
Mike EB says:
For me it's Jimi Hendrix Blues...followed by the 2nd half of Electric Ladyland

I specifically remember buying Jimi Hendrix Blues, Eric Clapton From The Cradle, and SRV's Sky is Crying all the same day and that was the single best day of music collecting ever for me.

I'm pretty sure I didn't leave my room for awhile and called in sick to work the next day

Posted on Feb 21, 2013 7:32:45 PM PST
Almost forgot about Spanish Castle Magic. Axis is far from my favorite Hendrix album, but that song is one of my favorites of all his songs.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 21, 2013 8:27:38 PM PST
Mike EB says:
Spanish Castle Magic....great tune especially live. I always liked the Radio One version from the BBC...very raw sound

Posted on Feb 22, 2013 5:30:35 AM PST
B L T says:
I've got to go with "Are You Experienced". Every song is great.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 22, 2013 6:39:31 AM PST
Dee Zee says:
Wind Cries Mary was one take. Incredible song. So hard to choose a favorite album from the core.

Posted on Feb 27, 2013 11:19:02 AM PST
Tim L. says:
I do like Electric Lady Land but Are You Experienced edges it out.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  31
Initial post:  Feb 20, 2013
Latest post:  May 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions