Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer blacklist blacklist blacklist  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Music forum

Shopping alternatives to Amazon for import albums...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 2, 2012 7:26:02 AM PDT
GarionOrb says:
Amazon is really great, and they generally have everything. However, what do you do when they DON'T carry the album you're looking for? Specifically, imports? Any other sites other than eBay or iTunes?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2012 8:03:52 AM PDT
I have accounts with eBay and iTunes, so I try those if I can't find something on Amazon.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 8:43:44 AM PDT
vivazappa says: has a few

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 8:54:28 AM PDT
D. Mok says: Possibly the most comprehensive worldwide collection of music sellers.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 6:22:54 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Don't be afraid to check Amazon UK. Your same id and password will work and sometimes it's cheaper than buying from Amazon US. Be caureful with DVD since format is not alway universal, but CDs can be worth the wait for the longer time it takes to ship. I've used Amazon UK several times.

Posted on Jul 2, 2012 8:43:52 PM PDT
Dr. Mikey says:
Good advice, Working Man. I bought the Byrds (complete Columbia Collection box set) from Amazon UK for much less than available in the US. It pays to look around. That being said, I'd like to find some Sun Records sets at a price I can afford.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 5:17:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 3, 2012 5:38:52 AM PDT
From past experience, I've been unable to get my password and ID to work on Amazon UK.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 7:09:05 AM PDT
I also had a good experience with cduniverse specifically for Japanese imports (which to my ear are always mixed with less abrupt dynamic changes and less distortion overall.)

To save money, keep a list until you have 3 or 4 you definitely want because the shipping is outrageous for one CD at the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2012 11:33:11 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
I have used the Amazon UK site for imports for the better part of ten years. The prices are good, but there's often a problem with damage due to shoddy packing of items (evidently they're not familiar with bubble wrap and and the like), but they generally replace items without hassle. I've also used CDjapan and HMV in Japan with good results.

Posted on Jul 3, 2012 9:04:43 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I have not had any issues with Amazon UK yet. I just got the Rush "Clockwork Angels" fan pack that was offerred by Classic Rock Magazine. Amazon UK was a little cheaper than getting it though the magazine and much cheaper than buying it as in import from Amazon US.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 2:37:45 PM PDT
Look at what labels those imports are on as the legit record companies of Europe have their own websites and you can order direct from the company (sometimes) as a lower price than
Also many UK/European artists and bands have a shop section at their official websites and you can order direct from them.
Happy hunting!

Posted on Nov 4, 2012 10:03:46 PM PST
One of the Highest Rated Amazon Sellers is Import CDs in Irvine, California.
However, most people don't realize that they don't necessarily post their entire inventory on Amazon and they often have other items available than just what they list on Amazon.

You can order directly from their website at:

Posted on Nov 5, 2012 8:45:34 PM PST
Irvine? Is that near Fresno?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 8:52:22 PM PST
No, Irvine is in Southern California.
Orange County, South of Disneyland.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 4:31:24 AM PST
I'm really looking for an alternative to Amazon that pays UK taxes.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 4:38:53 AM PST
J. Hand says:
collectors choice music is outstanding for imports, limited and special releases, first time on CD, return to being in print, etc..
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
Song Game - Part II ... 10 songs where... 7690 1 second ago
Audiophiles Unite! The best sounding CDs. It's not about the music. It's about the sound quality of the music 1054 34 seconds ago
Musical Diary 563 2 minutes ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Four) 1162 5 minutes ago
The MUSIC of Our Lives _ version 4.0 6438 8 minutes ago
Anyone else hate Michael Bolton's music? 25 9 minutes ago
The Allman Brothers Band vs. Lynyrd Skynyrd - Who Ya Got? 62 12 minutes ago
The 60's Tough Girl Battle-Ronettes or Shangilas? 44 22 minutes ago
Would Brian Jones Be The Center Of Stones Attention In 2015...? 250 28 minutes ago
Favourite Female Artists 2171 29 minutes ago
David Gilmour Says Pink Floyd Officially Dead! 103 31 minutes ago
What are you listening right now? 1677 40 minutes ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jul 2, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 26, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions