Customer Discussions > Music forum

2013 looking good for Led Zep diehards

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 31, 2012 5:32:10 AM PDT
Puffany says:
Apart from Celebration Day being released shortly, Jimmy Page says "There are also a number of Led Zeppelin projects that will come out next year because there are different versions of tracks that we have that can be added to the albums so there will be a box sets of material that will come out next year. There will be one box set per album with extra music that will surface"

Floyd did it brilliantly with the 2cd version of Wish You Were Here. Hopefully Zep will get it right - especially with finally getting The Song Remains The Same album right.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:46:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 6:47:43 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
I'd be interested to hear most anything Zep puts out as I'm definitely a fan, but I guess we'll see what these releases hold. I hope they're not just taking the same money-grab route so many artists are taking nowadays: put the album out on cd, put it out "remastered", put it out in "deluxe" form with bonus materials, etc. "How many times can we get the fans to buy the same album and how MUCH can we charge them if we put a few new things with it?"

Most Zep albums are 40-45 minutes or less, so it'd be nice if they put out a remastered single disc of each title with the album padded out with select bonus materials priced at the same price a standard new release is ($13-14.99 or less) and then also a 2 (or more) disc "deluxe" version of each title with more comprehensive bonus selections, but still reasonably priced. Considering how little these titles take to create (minimal overdubs if any and a little mixing in the studio vs. recording an entire new album), there's no reason these things can't be reasonably priced, but I've seen bands like Queen and Pink Floyd overprice (and under-stuff) titles like this just because they know they have die-hard fans who want unheard extras, many of whom will pay just about anything to get them and it's pretty sad. Here's hoping Zep does it right...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:08:15 AM PDT
Severin says:
Weren't you happy with the expanded "Song Remains the Same"? I thought it was a big improvement over the original album.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:16:34 AM PDT
Puffany says:
Hi DJN - Personally, I was really disappointed with the new edits all over that album. Especially when the song flow is edited at a point where it doesn't make sense - like a needle skipping on a damaged vinyl record. If you're happy with it, that's great. Enjoy.

rock on!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:41:18 AM PDT
Puffany says:
hey zlh67, I know what you mean by artists cashing in. I've been sucked in enough times with artists putting out extended or alternate versions of albums. The biggest disappointment is when the remastering job itself totally sucks. I've only just learnt that apparently Page made a mess with the 'loudness' factor on the 'Mothership' album. Seems strange for a guy with that much studio experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 6:46:40 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Yeah, I'll go with Puffany: as a free standing release, the remastered SRTS was solid. Extra tracks, improved sound, etc. But as someone who knew and loved every single note from several performances on the original release (mainly side 1 + Whole Lotta Love, Dazed and Confused), I was *highly* disappointed with all the changes from the original. They simply weren't the same performances. So after selling my original CD before buying the remaster, I had to go out and repurchase the original version to still have the performances I grew up listening to.

But that to me wasn't a money grab. They looked to improve the original release by improving the sound and expanding the track listing and succeeded in both areas imo. But they messed up big time in not using the exact same performances as the original release. Adding new songs is one thing, but changing what was there on the original release? That's a whiff.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:19:41 PM PDT
Music Lover says:
i'm with zlh67. i hope these aren't going to be "remastered" versions of the original albums with bonus tracks where the bonus tracks end up being alternate versions of the original songs. if they have hidden gems. I purchased the 1st 5 Queen albums remastered box sets and there was some live gems and and unreleased full version of Jesus that was great but overall many of the "extras" were duds. I'm not sorry i got and I do enjoy the sound but I don't want to have to rebuy my Zep catalogue for the 5th time and get little for my investment.

The BBC sessions were great stuff witth a lot of unheard tracks and I love How The West Was Won so hopefully Jimmy and the boys will exrecise their usual taste in releasing new or old unheard material.

by the way saw Celebration Day in a packed theatre in Phoenix two weeks ago and it was incredible!

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:04:22 PM PDT
Working Man says:
according to Classic Rock Magazine's web site:

"Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page has nearly finished remastering the band's entire back-catalogue.

His manager Peter Mench told the Sunday Times that Page is currently holed up in a west London recording studio creating 21st-century versions of Led Zep's nine-album body of work.

No further details are available - but given the furore surrounding the band's recent activities, a re-release campaign is likely to be extremely high profile.

More than 20 million people signed up for the lottery to grab the 18,000 tickets available for their 2007 reunion show. The band's Facebook page has gained 6.8 million likes - up by nearly 75% since they announced and later released their Celebration Day movie.

It's possible the Led Zeppelin remasters could be released in a format similar to Pink Floyd's Immersion series, which coupled the official album with demos, unfinished material and alternative takes. Floyd aimed to underline just why they deserve their high status - and Led Zep are well capable of making the same claim.

It's thought the re-release campaign will take place next year."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 9:28:25 AM PDT
onsenkuma says:
@Puffany,
Thanks for passing this on. I'd always assumed that Led Zeppelin were one of those bands who had little left over 'in the can' from their studio sessions - Physical Graffiti and Coda notwithstanding. A box set of studio rarities/alternative mixes would be preferable to buying the whole catalog yet again.

I'd also like to see Page give access to the tapes to someone like Steven Wilson to produce solid 5.1 surround mixes. Wilson's done a SUPERB job on the King Crimson and first two ELP discs, and solid 5.1 mixes would at least make buying the box sets a more attractive prospect.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:14:26 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Led Zeppelin's 20 best unreleased tracks (from You Tube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqH75f6JyzI

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:29:30 PM PDT
Puffany says:
G'day WM, I had a look at that Youtube link - gawd help us if they include that version of Babe I'm Gonna Leave You on the remastered album - the vocals are.......not Plant's best.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 8:48:08 PM PDT
Working Man says:
Yes, it's interesting to say the least. But it makes me wonder might be out there and available for bonus, demos or unreleased tracks.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:55:08 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 8:55:40 PM PDT
Puffany says:
I'd be interested in live material. A guy on Amazon UK has mentioned on a few occaisions that there is a sensational & good sound quality gig from Southampton UK january 22 1973 in the vaults. It'd be nice if some of that made it onto the Houses of the Holy remaster.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:09:29 PM PDT
Working Man says:
From Classic Rock Revisited website:

Led Zeppelin To Reissue Each Album As A Box Set With Extras
www.antimusic.com

The Jimmy Page remaster project for the Led Zeppelin catalog will result in a new box set release for each studio album, according to a new interview with the guitarist and band leader.

Word broke earlier this week that Page was working on the project and that each album would be released with extra material beginning next year.

NME now reports that Page told Mojo Magazine (the interview could not be found on Mojo's website, but Led Zeppelin are the subject of the cover story for the latest edition of the print magazine). "There are a number of Led Zeppelin projects that will come out next year because there are different versions of tracks that we have that can be added to the album so there will be box sets of material that will come out, starting next year. There will be one box set per album with extra music that will surface."

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:11:44 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 2, 2012 9:11:52 PM PDT]

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 9:22:58 PM PDT
Working Man says:
I wonder how they are going to release them? I doubt it will be all at once, but will it be in order? How are we going to choose which ones to buy? I am looking forward to Physical Graffiti the most, just about any and all of their albums are getting. I will have to make some tough choices.

I have both box sets and individual CDs of House, their fourth, Physical Graffiti and Presnece. I never got their first two and then the box came out. So, I need to see what the extras are but I will likely check them out in the following order:

1. Led Zeppelin II
2. Led Zeppelin I
3. Physical Grafitti
4. their fourth album
5. Presence
6. Led Zeppelin III
7. Houses of the Holy
8. Coda
9. In Through the Out Door.

This is not really the order of my favorites, but it's based on not having a couple on CD and then of course my favorites.

Posted on Dec 16, 2012 9:19:34 AM PST
A. Strong says:
Besides live tracks (mostly covers) there is not much unreleased Led Zeppelin to choose from. If more is to come it's up to Robert as to if he is still willing to work with Jimmy but, don't get your hopes up.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 5:12:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 5:19:02 AM PST
r. f. says:
I wish that Steve Wilson was going them. I also love his version of the 40th Anniversary of TULL'S , Aqualung. I haven't heard TAAB yet.
The 2003 / 2005 Japanese Led Zep box set was pretty great but please get P.G. [side 1] and ITTOD , sounding right. To me the only LED ZEP that was done right as an ordinal CD was their first album. The 1993 / 1994 remasters were tinny sounding and muddy as heck.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 2:17:51 PM PST
Puffany says:
Well they said 2013 would be when they'd release the remastered expanded albums. It's now going to be 2014. Here's a link to a Page interview where he talks about a raw version of Since I've Been loving You - https://soundcloud.com/teamrockradio/jimmy-page-at-the-classic-rock-awards-2013

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:02:44 PM PST
@Puffany: these things *always* take longer than the initial projected release dates. Also, the higher-profile the artist, the more the release date is usually postponed--look how long it took just to get Neil Young's first "Archive" box out!!

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:19:19 PM PST
Working Man says:
I am hoping proper releases of Jenning's Farm Blues, Fire (demo), Sugar Mama (outtake), Fixin to Die, Sunshine Woman, Take Me Home, and Swan Song to name a few are included. Plus various alternate takes of various other songs. There is a whole bunch of stuff on You Tube that would make great bonus tracks if done right.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 6:34:06 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 15, 2013 8:52:40 PM PST
Puffany says:
This I didn't expect: http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/quarter-inch-spools-hiding-zep-treasure/ - I automatically thought that only Page would have access to anything. He did lose a mountain of material years ago when his home was burgled.

@MT - Neil Young is a classic example of lateness. Better late than never though.

Posted on Nov 15, 2013 9:33:10 PM PST
Working Man says:
Puffany, I heard about this a short time ago and posted on one of the threads and it surprisingly died quickly. Sometimes it seems the negative threads stay alive longer than the informative creative ones. Check out YouTube for Led Zeppelin Physical Rareties http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=led%20zeppelin%20physical%20rarities&sm=1 There's some pretty good stuff there.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2013 9:40:25 PM PST
Puffany says:
Hi WM, I think that may be the link I checked out earlier this year. I think it was you that supplied it on another Zep-related thread. Definitely looking forward to the extras now. I hope that there are no edits if live concert material is included. I'd rather face the sloppy truth than another lie ;-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2013 10:28:24 PM PST
Working Man says:
I also hope that there isn't too much short edits of demos. No tracks that are just about a minute long and incomplete. Alternate versions with different lyrics or early versions are sometimes pretty cool. I am hoping for a mix, some previously unreleased stuff, some demos/alternate versions and live cuts.

I am just worried about the price. I am hoping they aren't too expensive.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Oct 31, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions