Customer Discussions > Music forum

Rush Vs. Yes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 193 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 6, 2012 11:13:57 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Yes is one of my favorites. I've seen them on every tour from THE YES ALBUM to their tour in 2000. My guess is 16 times. I've honestly tried to like Rush. After hearing 'Tom Sawyer', which I like, I borrowed several Rush albums from a friend but they just don't do it for me. A lot of people criticize Geddy's voice but that's not my reason for not liking their music. It just comes down to taste, not who is better. Obviously both bands have many loyal fans.

Posted on Sep 8, 2012 7:34:35 AM PDT
Severin says:
I like both bands, both have incredible musicians and a long string of varied albums. Personally I listen to Yes way more than Rush. Lately Rush has gone a lot closer to heavy metal, their albums are denser. For me Yes' low point was "90125" where they were just trying to be a pop band. I don't think enough has been said in this discussion about keyboards. They've always been a part of Yes' sound, integral to their best compositions. Rush came to it later, like Van Halen did. I don't mind Lee's keyboards in Rush but I don't think they can compare with Wakeman or Moraz. Anyway we don't have to pick one over the other, I listen to which ever I'm in the mood for.

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 4:51:03 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 4:52:14 PM PDT
This isn't fair as these two bands are polar to each other on any globe.
Rush as a three man band has accomplished more than the sum of their parts and has rabid loyal fans that are gonna stick by them no matter what. Yes, has gone through so many changes it is a bit difficult to keep up with them and I don't like the current edition as the vocalist isn't my taste at all. I remember a review of the fantastic: "Caress Of Steel" in Creem magazine back in the seventies when the guy (it wasn't Lester Bangs!) described Geddy Lee's vocals as: "Donald Duck on Acid" and I rushed out to purchase that album cos' that is as cool as it gets. For me.....Rush still rules!

Posted on Oct 26, 2012 6:49:08 PM PDT
mancheeros says:
Why Rush vs Yes? Back in the day I was a huge Yes fan but never listened to Rush, nor did any of my Yes fan friends. Yes vs Starcastle maybe...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2012 7:22:42 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 26, 2012 7:24:14 PM PDT
Micaloneus says:
Mike C:
Rush! Is Yes still around? Next question!

That's your criteria Mike? They're still around? Wow...
Actually, both bands are still around and I prefer Yes' most recent album "Fly From Here" over Rush's latest "Clockwork Angels."

I've loved both bands for decades; but Yes have benefited from lineup changes over the years. Keeps the music fresh.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 6:30:42 AM PDT
Working Man says:
Why Rush vs. Yes? I always felt there was a musical link at least in the 70's. Both with singers that have high voices and both had an epic style. Rush was heavier but I still store my Rush and Yes albums/cds near each other.

Yes, Yes is still around. I honestly didn't care for "Fly from Here" much as a Yes album. I prefer there other recent (ny recent I mean the past 15 years of so) albums like "Magnification", "The Ladder", "Keystudio" etc. to "Fly from Here". Benoit David was fine live but in the studio it just didn't sound much like Yes. I prefer the Trevor Horn album to the Benoit David album. I am releived he's been replaced with the guy from "Glass Hammer", Jon Davidson I believe is his name and former band.

As for "Clockwork Angels", I think it could have been mixed a little better but the songs are great. Unlike "Snakes and Arrows" I liked the whole thing at first listen, while "Snakes and Arrows" has taken some time to grow on me.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:18:51 AM PDT
zlh67 says:
Why Rush vs. Yes? I always felt there was a musical link at least in the 70's.

---

Agreed. I'm not much of a prog fan myself, but I love both of these bands. There are differences for sure, but similarities too.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 9:59:13 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 12:34:04 PM PDT
In the seventies Yes got compared with Emerson Lake and Palmer more than any other band. The music press (especially Creem, tried to create a rivalry between the two bands, when in fact, they probably didn't pay much attention to what each other were doing.) Especially when Brain Salad Surgery came out, they said that ELP were trying to one up Close To The Edge. I didn't see it then, and still don't. But comparing Yes and Rush makes even less sense. Both great bands, both have had their ups and downs, but other than that, it's like comparing Dream Theater with Porcupine Tree.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:00:28 AM PDT
Working Man

Jon Davidson is just on loan to Yes while they are on tour. He is still a member of Glass Hammer and is on the album they just released Tuesday.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:23:33 AM PDT
Fischman says:
I have always appreciated both bands at a very high level. However, Rush has been able to "keep the music fresh" throughout without revolving band members--constant evolution from album to album--that's one of the things that makes them so amazing--and they never dropped a Tormato or Big Generator along the way!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 10:48:05 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 10:49:59 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I have an old Starcastle album. It's pretty good. I've been a fan of Yes since THE YES ALBUM. I saw them 16 times up to 2OOO. Havent had a chance to see them since. I like the latest album but from the live videos i've seen, the new vocalist doesn't cut it on the classic songs. I tried but Rush never appealed to me.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:51:28 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 11:02:30 AM PDT
Yes and ELP were the two who were compared the most back in the early 70s, and there are some stylistic similarities between Yes and Rush, but IMO the closest comparison can probably be drawn between Yes and Genesis. ELP and Rush were power trios; Genesis, in its classic lineup, was a full five-man ensemble like Yes. Of course, there are differences--Genesis didn't concentrate on instrumental firepower quite as much (though moreso as they went on), and Gabriel's vocal, visual, and lyrical style was quite different from Anderson's. That being said, my vote for the two albums that best epitomize the classic prog style, and which I would use to introduce any newbie, would be "Fragile" and "Selling England By The Pound".

Rush were also a bit late in the game; their first album was released by the time Yes and Genesis had six or seven albums each under their belts. Early 70s prog had a different feel than mid-late 70s prog. Rush were young enough to have actually been influenced by Yes and Genesis.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 10:54:13 AM PDT
Hinch says:
I see I posted a similar comment a couple months ago. Lol. So many threads I forget where I posted. This one is moving slow.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 11:02:10 AM PDT
Hinch says:
Jon Davidson? Another vocalist? He's not on the latest album, or is there a new one since Fly From Here? Maybe Jon Anderson will come back.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 12:29:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 12:34:24 PM PDT
Stratocaster says:
Hinch says: "Jon Davidson? Another vocalist?"

LOL.....Really!

Personally, I will not listen to Yes anymore w/o J Anderson.
It's strikes me as very funny how you'll hear Squire and/or Howe going on about "Jon Anderson is not Yes. We CAN get on without him". But yet, all 3 times when Anderson left the band, they tried tooth and nail to get vocalists who sound exactly like him. And when they perform live without Jon, regardless of who they come up with, there is a definite void in their sound and presence. Love him, or hate him, Anderson has a lot more to do with Yes actually sounding like Yes then I think even the other band members realize......until he's gone, that is.

But on to the OP. IMO, like others have pointed out, comparing Rush and Yes really is an awkward comparison to begin with. Just because they're both Prog, doesn't make them comparable IMO. One is a Prog, guitar based, power trio. Yes has more of a Prog symphonic/art rock basis. But if I HAD to compare them, bottom line for me though is this - as much as it pains me to say it: I think the Yes of the 70's were light years above anything that Rush could have imagined in that time period. But Yes has sputtered along the way, and Rush has gotten stronger, especially since the mid 80's and on. So as of TODAY, and considering the output of both in the past 10 to 15 years, I'd have say that Rush is actually the better band now.

At the risk of getting my a** chewed out though, I will say that I think Pert is a much better Prog drummer then White. Yes were at their pinnacle when they had Bruford at the kit (The Yes Album, Fragile, most of Close To The Edge). Neil Pert was, and still is, an absolute phenom on the drums!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 12:40:01 PM PDT
Hinch

Benoit David replaced Jon Anderson on tour when Jon came up sick and sang on the Fly From Here album. Then Benoit got sick and could not finish the last leg of the tour and Yes replaced him with Jon Davidson from Glass Hammer, who sounds very much like Jon Anderson. Working Man called Glass Hammer his former band and I was just stating that he is not joining Yes on a permanent basis, just finishing the tour for them on vocals.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 12:40:58 PM PDT
Strat

Yeah, I would rather see Anderson/Wakeman live than Yes without them.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:10:13 PM PDT
Stratocaster says:
I'm actually a little bit familiar with Jon Davidson from Glass Hammer. Great band. And Davidson is far and above a better vocalist then that Benoit David dude. But yeah, still nothing would be better then having Anderson/Wakeman back in the fold.

Speaking of the great Prog drummers - I saw Asia last weekend at the Keswick (small theater here outside Philly). Carl Palmer - let me tell you, Awesome! 62 years old, and he can STILL raise the roof!!! And Wetton still sounds fantastic too.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:15:15 PM PDT
I last saw Emerson Lake and Palmer when they were touring for Black Moon and they were great.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:21:28 PM PDT
@Stratocaster: I agree. Because the other members of Yes were all virtuoso instrumentalists and stars in their own right, most people assume Anderson was 'only' the vocalist, when in fact he was the leader of the band and absolutely central to their sound. Anderson composed much of the music for Yes (usually w/Howe), nearly all of the lyrics, and directed its creation. The band's proto-New Age stance in the early 70s was entirely his vision, and it was he who usually decided what musical direction they were taking next, be it the one-song-per-side symphonic rock of "Tales" or the jazz-fusiony "Relayer". You can see in the video for "On The Silent Wings Of Freedom", which was shot in the studio while they were recording the track, the way in which Anderson guided the others as they played, the way he acted as conductor.

One can think "Drama" and "Fly From Here" are great albums (I don't), but I don't think it can be argued that they sound fairly different than the albums the group made with Jon at the helm.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 1:26:59 PM PDT
Yeah, Jon was the heart and soul of Yes. What's funny, is the push for the band to go vegetarian in the 70's came from Jon, which was one of the things that pushed Rick Wakeman away, but today he and Jon are great friends still, while Jon and Chris have never really been friends since Chris came to resent Jon's leading and the two Yes schism of the 80's.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 1:30:44 PM PDT
@RandStoner: I saw ELP twice on the "Black Moon" tour. Given that I was seventeen at the time, it was the first opportunity I had to see the group. The first show in Aug '92 was cool, but the one months later at the Wiltern (in Mar '93, I believe) was much better. Still, I didn't think either show matched the live audio and video I'd heard/seen of them from their 70s heyday.

The more they toured, however, the better they got. I saw them one last time in Sep '97 and by then they were almost back to their old 70s selves (especially Emerson and Palmer). I think if they had continued to tour instead of splitting up, they would have gotten even better. I've seen the footage of the 2010 High Voltage reunion, and it was clear that the twelve-year hiatus since '98 had affected them again--that performance looked really stilted and perfunctory.

Posted on Oct 27, 2012 2:05:47 PM PDT
Michael

Yes, as much as I have liked Greg Lake from King Crimson through ELP his voice has really gotten bad. Sad to see and hear.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 3:33:54 PM PDT
Hinch says:
I saw the Yes tour with Trevor Horn as lead vocalist and it wasn't bad, but Jon Anderson is essential to Yes. I've liked most Yes albums to some degree but the last one I liked a lot is RELAYER. I think THE LADDER is the best since.

I haven't really given Rush a chance since the 70s or 80s, but I may need to give their later albums a listen. Geddy Lee and Jon Anderson don't really sound alike, but that may be where the comparison of Yes and Rush comes from. That's the closest similarity I can think of.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2012 3:39:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2012 3:46:53 PM PDT
Hinch says:
Rand

I'll see if I can find some videos of Yes with J.D. on youtube. I've never listened to Glass Hammer.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  61
Total posts:  193
Initial post:  Jul 22, 2011
Latest post:  14 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions