Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: Most overated band of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 10:48:03 AM PDT
Nobody says:
That would be "The Who".

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 10:53:58 AM PDT
Iceblossom says:
SA --

Thanks for admitting that you listen primarily to the later Beatles :) and that you don't like every single song of their's ever recorded.

Part of the reason I've been using "I Want to Hold Your Hand" as an example of the "boy band made good" is that when you compare it to
something like the Beatles cover of "Twist and Shout" that there is a difference in the poppy sensibilities of Hand versus the more straight forward rock apeal of Twist and Shout.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 10:55:01 AM PDT
chronic pain... I'm sorry, I will not hassle you, car pool tunnel maybe next on your list

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 10:57:28 AM PDT
overrated,in what way? Billions of musicians and listeners don't think so.neither do I.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 10:59:32 AM PDT
Where do you define the start of "ROCK" Music?

I think that might make a good thread.
WHERE is the break between rock and roll and rock?

But the Rock Forum is never happening.
So I do not know if it should be in the Music Forum or the Classic Rock Forum.
Or both.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 11:00:20 AM PDT
"The Who" thinks the Beatles are overated?

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:02:26 AM PDT
I think a lot's been said already and as a Brit I'm going to be biased aren't I?
To be honest, my favourite "invasion' bands" are The Kinks and the (later) Small Faces.
I love the dark humour and lyricism of the Kinks, and Steve Marriott of the Small Faces had one of the best voices around.
You can't however underestimate the importance of the early Beatles who, along with the Animals, were extremely adept at selling black American music back to middle class white American kids.
But listen to the later Beatles records, Rubber Soul and Revolver (created only a year apart). Something revolutionary happened that pushed the boundaries of modern popular music.
Nothing was the same afterwards.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:05:04 AM PDT
this is the silliest discussion ever!! hahahahaha!

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:05:57 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> Or 'The Girl Is Mine' with McCartney & Michael Jackson (another artist you rate higher than Lennon).

If you actually read my post as it was written, rather than what you wanted to see, you'll see that I wrote "better singer". Not "better artist". Michael Jackson's singing ability was, without a doubt, leagues above John Lennon's. Jackson, even at 11 years old, had pitch, clarity, intensity and projection John Lennon could only dream about, and Jackson's never done a godawful out-of-tune vocal performance like "I Want to Hold Your Hand".

"Ebony and Ivory" was horrible. But McCartney wasn't the one slinging vitriol at John Lennon's songwriting. And do your research -- McCartney didn't write "The Girl Is Mine".

McCartney's written some bad songs as well, but he didn't put himself forth as the messiah; he just made the music he wanted. And even when he wrote trite lyrics, he always had interesting harmonic ideas and chordal progressions, far beyond Lennon's.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:13:27 AM PDT
Iceblossom says:
I think it would be a good thread and I think the music forum is currently where its at. A couple of years ago music was pretty dead but for the last year it has certainly been blooming.

Sorry, SA, I know some will think it is a cop out, but I see things as a continuum. There are definitely shifts between one form and another but I can't always take two songs and put them in one or two categories. They often overlap and the definitions often change especially after the fact.

And then there are artists that deliberately go retro -- does that make them part of the music scene they emulate but were not really part of, or does it make them something else? So was, for example using one of my rather obscure favorite albums, Josie Cotton and Convertible Music, the throw back to the 60s girl group sound that she deliberately employed, or is it new wave because of the song "Johnny are you queer"? Where do bands like Stray Cats or Cherry Popping Daddies fit in to neat tidy labels?

Like is doowop rock n roll, or is it R&B? Can some of it be one and some the other even though they are both doowop?

I think 50s rock did have some characterizing sounds and instruments, like sax and heavy piano. I think some of the difference of rock n roll and rock are the heavier use of electronic instruments, there are also tempo differences.

In the end though, the nice thing about music is there is so much of it out there and you can like what you like regardless of label. Even if it is the Beatles :p

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:18:08 AM PDT
I am not a boomer and did not grow up during the Beatles era. I was born in 1970 and I can tell you that the Beatles are not overrated in significance. Perhaps some of their songs are but not what they did to change music. Dylan, the Beatles and the Stones have formed the very foundation of what became 'classic rock' and that cannot be overstated or overrated.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 11:27:46 AM PDT
Carl Eakins says:
In a word: no. In more words: are you insane?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 11:28:10 AM PDT
Snoo says:
To say that all bands that came after the Beatles would not exist if it were not for them is the most rediculous statement I have ever heard!! Sorry people (Beatles fans), music would have evolved to where it is today with or without them. You think musicians would've just sat around playing Chuck Berry and Elvis tunes forever?? I dont think so.

Was their influence huge?? Yes, I will never deny that. But you cant think that the world would have stopped spinning if they didnt come along.
Are they overrated?? I dont think so. Do I own anything they recorded? No. I dont care for their music and I am confident I would be enjoying all the music that I do enjoy today with or without them.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 11:53:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 11:57:41 AM PDT
Snoo, Thats the best thing ive read in this thread. Great points! I remember in the late 70s a rock magazine had a cover story on Is Metal Dead? Because the Big 3 (Black Sabbath, Led Zep, and Deep Purple)were either gone or were breaking up. Of course 1980 rolls around and Metal has its biggest decade of popularity. Theres always someone to take over and be THE BAND of that era. Lighten up Beatles fans and dont take it personally that other people may not love your band like you do.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 12:46:09 PM PDT
scott says:
hello, what is your favorite band? thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 1:03:50 PM PDT
joeyboy55 says:
As a guitar player, I would like to weigh in on some of these points. Even some of the earliest Beatle songs had some surprisingly complex and beautiful chord progressions. They incorporated and assimilated a lot of different genres of music: English music-hall tunes, American Rock and R and B, Country, folk, and even classical and, later, Indian ragas. I have often wondered how such "working-class" lads came up with such stuff. I concluded that they are very creative, curious (about learning new stuff) and just generally a blast!
Janice, with all respect, their "musical creations" must be pretty "great" if people are still buying, listening, discussing and learning from them. It kind of seems that "what (you) mean by overrated" is a lot different from how most people define that term. You don't find them that great, and I am sure many others also don't find the Beatles their "cup o'tea", but the numbers and the longevity of their influence seem to me to argue that they are not overrated. But, rock on however you like, and thanks for starting an interesting, if sometimes over-heated by a few individuals, conversation!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 1:06:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 1:39:11 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Hey Scott,

My problem (among others) is that I don't really have a favorite band. I have lots of bands I like. I have lots of favorite albums of various styles. But no one particular if I have to be stuck on a desert island with only one band, or 3 CDs or whatever, I'd rather go without and listen to the music in my head :)

Currently the music I am listening to the most is three albums by the Avett Brothers, they are two real life brothers from North Carolina plus a friend and others as needed -- they have a hard to describe sound, sort of a blend of traditional folk, bluegrass, plus some rock and punk thrown in that they make into their own style. I've been on my Avett kick for most of the last year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avett_brothers
edited to add youtube links
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHE1ZD1_fws -- Ill With Want
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBMjY2tBu-s -- Ten Thousand Words
this link probably better for the song Ten Thousand Words
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt6k8htvc9k&feature=related

One more edit and one more Avett Link -- here's the Austin City Limits with them playing, i really like a group that can just get up there and play...
http://video.pbs.org/video/1392403650/

I listen to a lot of female artists. A lot of them are more pegged into a country market, like Lucinda Williams although I don't consider her (twang and all) to be doing country music at all.

I've also had a hiphop album by the Blue Scholars in the car that I rather like, for those that say all hiphop rap is non musical and about dirty women and dirty deeds and material possesions, this little number can come as a surprise --
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQPEDLxv8io
LOL -- One song on the album they are sampling a flute doing Moon River...

Recently I've been wanting a bit more classical music in my life. Not heavy orchestral works but spritely little chamber music/quintet types of things.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 1:35:06 PM PDT
That song does sound a lot like the Beatles, but like middle-period Beatles. In particular, it reminds me of McCartney's "For No One" from Revolver.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 2:05:52 PM PDT
Presley and the Everlys and Jerry Lee were adept at selling black music to white kids and black kids as their multiple hits charting pop, country, and R&B showed.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 2:15:13 PM PDT
No. I am not agree with you. Beatles were the first one in a lot of musical issues (as we know music today). You have to be "in the time" at the moment of analyse their music, you can not compare Beatles with an actual band. They was perfect in a wide amount of issues, and imperfect too (as John said "I am human"). Try too see what they did, obviously without their manager' support, the historic moment, their history would be another.-

Then, again, you can not compare with actual bands. The Beatles is not the most overated band of all time.-

Excuse me for my english.. since I am not an english born.-

Saludos,

Hernán.-

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 2:42:48 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
D. Mok, I hated Suspicious Minds and the only version I ever liked of You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin' was the Righteous Brothers. My taste in Elvis' songs were in the Sun days with:

That's All Right
Blue Moon Of Kentucky
Milk Cow Blues
Baby Let's Play House
Tryin To Get To You

John had his opinions, too. That doesn't make him a bad man. It only means he liked and disliked different things than you or I. Remember, The Beatles did a lot of early rock covers. They loved Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 2:46:07 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
Iceblossom says: I don't believe I've said a single negative thing about the Beatles.

I don't think you have either. Your opinions are yours and you have every right to express them here. That is what forums are for.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 2:53:17 PM PDT
Snoo says:
Thanks S.M.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 2:55:12 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
SA, I have some memories of when I was 3. We lived on the Mohave Desert and I remember the King Snake on our patio. I also remember how I cried when the guys from the base captured it and then days later brought it back as a snake skin. I remember the wild stallion standing outside our fence keeping watch while his 3 mares grazed in our front yard, as we had the only grass around. I remember the practice air-raids. I remember the purple turtle we had for a day or two. I remember falling and skinning my knee and my mother saying "Never mind your knee, look at your head." I had blood pouring down my face from a cut in my hairline. My long term memory is a lot better than my short term memory.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 3:43:23 PM PDT
Tony says:
are you serious? there will never be anyone as good
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  1348
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions