Customer Discussions > Music forum

The Beatles: Most overated band of all time?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 1348 posts in this discussion
Posted on Aug 11, 2010 3:48:49 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 12, 2010 2:09:29 AM PDT
Snoo -

I usually agree with alot of your posts that i have seen on amazon, but here i diagree.
You are being ignorant if you think rock music would be the same without the Beatles. (And i am not that big of a fan - i only own two of their albums. I am a prog rock fanatic and even Yes did a Beatles song on their first album). Their influence on other bands and rock music in general is undeniable.
(i dont know what rock or pop bands you listen to, but i am willing to bet at least some of them site the Beatles as an influence, and if so - they wouldnt be making music if the Beatles hadnt existed).

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 4:07:15 PM PDT
KML says:
I vote for Rush as the most overrated band of all time. I've tried to get into them, I kind of like "Tom Sawyer," but really, I just don't get it.

I would consider an argument for "Sgt. Pepper" or "The White Album" being the most overrated album of all time, but I won't even agree with that - "Pet Sounds" by the Beach Boys wins that award from me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 4:14:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 4:16:25 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Janice, what an unbelievably crazy, active thread you've got going here..and that, with hardly any of the Beatle forum geeks even in sight. It continually amazes me how many people are still out there so "protective" of The Beatles in so many ways..so many more ways-you have to admit-than any other musical artist out there of the last fifty years..that's definitely my opinion but it may well even be a fact-I'm not sure.

So let me try to pinpoint you one more time..it's the actual overrating of the songs themselves which you're bringing out? Let me ask you this..putting your personal, and respected, opinion on their creativity aside for a second, do you agree-from an objective point of view-that since their "existence' in popular culture, their influence-as a force musically, aesthetically and socially-supercedes anyone elses (meaning, music people)? Just a non-pointed, non-aggressive question.

Spiritual...actually, all joking aside, Pete Townshend has hinted on more than one occasion (on video and in print) that, musically at least, The Beatles were pretty overrated. In fact, at times he's been so direct about it that it almost seems to border on frustrated jealousy.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 5:18:54 PM PDT
Janice Roman says:
DKPete, you have all my intentions correct, and yes, i do agree with the statement that the Beatles are the most influential band of all time. However, it always gets back to how I feel about the music itself. Their music is overrated, in which case, in some sense, The Beatles would be overrated. Again i'm not denying the influence they had on culture and music, but i'm just sayin :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 5:38:49 PM PDT
Iceblossom

You asked if I Want To Hold Your Hand came out today could I objectively and without 50 years of listening to the Beatles categorize that song? Would you really and honestly say "Hot Dmn! That's some good rock n roll!

Wow, when I sit and think about that, I don't know if I could view any Beatles songs objectively at this point in my life. I really love a lot of newer music being released today but it's like I have this little corner sub-folder in my fantasy world of arts and entertainment just set aside for The Beatles, The Who, Led Zeppelin, etc and nothing can penetrate enough to tarnish my primrose memories of a fargone youth. I'm older but still a child. It really is a good question though because I can see your viewpoint and the viewpoint of those who say they just don't get the mystique of Beatlemania and don't care for them. I've seen people just loving some music that left me scratching my head and moving on, but that's cool. I do listen to the entire Beatles catalog equally too, but I don't know what the average fan does. Anyway, I didn't take a fence at your calling them a boy band in the early days.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:09:14 PM PDT
For No One
Another Beatle song I can't stand
How is that for negative
: )

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:10:14 PM PDT
Saludos

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:12:29 PM PDT
I may have 3 year old memories ~ but I cannot distinguish the year unless someone else in my family tells me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:12:32 PM PDT
i do! people say 'they're popular becaus of their influence' while the Velvet Underground, the Who, and the Beach Boys have more influence in modern music in sound and songwriting than the damne Beatles. plus i hate all their material post Revolver album so that doesn't help matters

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:16:33 PM PDT
So the Velvet Underground are responsible for music going downhill.
Actually that is not true because they are one of the worst selling famous groups of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:20:53 PM PDT
MIkey the C says:
this does not even deserve an answer but Janice- take a GOOD LOOK at quotes from 9 out of 10 bands and either they cite being influenced by the Beatles OR the group (TOM PETTY, SPRINGSTEEN, BYRDS,) cite them as inspiring them to pick up a guitar.
YOUR QUESTION IS OVERRATED AND MORE THAN LIKELY POSTED TO ANTAGONIZE RESPONSES.(like mine) Everyone is entitled to their favorite or opinion but overrated??? CMON GET REAL

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:24:37 PM PDT
MIkey the C says:
Another winner- GEE the Pet Sounds inspired Sgt Pepper and that drove Brian crazy
(no pun intended - I love the Beach Boys AS WELL)
HAVE A HARD DAYS NIGHT

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:26:55 PM PDT
LMAO!!! You got that point all too right! I don't think they're over-rated, but I do think the Stones are the better band! See my discussion thread & make your views known!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:30:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 6:34:56 PM PDT
MIkey the C says:
not up on LMAO- but the stones vs the beatles wil always be a issue and a good one BUTTTTTTTTT
GEE - Fake applause on the live album, who wrote the Stones first hit (as a favor)?, Satanic Majesty's Request while a very good album followed Sgt Pepper, Beggar's Banquet (another good one) followed the White Album- STICKYYYYYYY but good fingers INDEED!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:32:14 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> I hated Suspicious Minds

Well, you're certainly entitled to your tastes. Though you are definitely the first person I've "met" who dislikes this song. I play out all the time, booked gigs, open jams and open mikes, on the street, and even just playing acoustic guitar at parties, and that song always *slays* the audience, whether the people are 25 or 65. Roy Orbison always does the job as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:32:26 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
SA, For No One is good, but not my favorite. I can't say that I loved all their songs. There were some I used to skip. But, I bought every album within minutes of it being released. I heard 'Sgt. Pepper' the day before it was released. I was dating a guy in a band and his manager got that one and Cream's 'Fresh Cream' the day before the release date. I was completely blown away by both albums.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 6:37:05 PM PDT
bella6626 says:
SA, At 3 years old, I'm sure I didn't know that was the year, but I do know we lived there when I was 3. And, those are my earliest memories. I only remember some isolated events. I don't remember knowing how old I was or what year it was. I remember events from then on. And, I know from where we were stationed, how old I was.

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 7:06:35 PM PDT
Meh says:
First cross-over band...in a big way...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 7:08:49 PM PDT
Imagine is the worst song he ever wrote...

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 7:20:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 11, 2010 11:36:05 PM PDT]

Posted on Aug 11, 2010 7:28:52 PM PDT
MACLEAR says:
That they are or more popular now then they were in 1974 and sell more CDs than any 70's or 80's band is answer enough. The musicians have spoken: Gene Simmons, Joe Perry, Ludricis, John Meyer, Tom Petty, etc. all claim that those Liverpool lads were their biggest influence and turned them unto muisc in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 7:47:31 PM PDT
I thought that you said that you weren't trying to redefine the term "boy band". Now you freely admit that you are using your own personal definition. You used the term "boy band" when you knew that it has an automatic negative connotation. If you didn't know, then you're ignorant. If you did, then you're the one who is dishonest.

Once again, you are so clever in the way you word things. "Paul and John did write many classics...But they just aren't all classics". Who in this thread claimed that all their tunes were classics? "I never said anyone did". You don't have to say it, all you have to do is imply it.

"Objective does not mean negative". As I said before, you think your BS is objective and that ours is subjective. Who in this thread equated objective with negative?

"Are 'IWTHYH' and 'Love Me Do' music changing masterpieces of rock?" One again you word this so cleverly. I don't except the premise of your question. "Would you describe them as rock at all?" No, I describe them as rock & roll.

"How dare you attack me! I'm here to discuss music." Fact is, I tell the truth. Only those who have a problem with it, think of it as an attack.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 8:06:17 PM PDT
DKPete says:
Janice, I think your opinion is fair and even handed. Regardless of the fact that I am pretty consumed by The Beatles , I have often asked myself-and others-questions which basically ask "were they REALLY 'all that'?" And I look at that question from various angles-the music being one of them....but, of course, in their case, there are so many other aspects to consider.

Regardless..as an aside, I wanted to share with you (and everyone) a very interesting comment from George Harrison during a mid-seventies interview. Harrison was asked if he thought that The Beatles were overrated. Speaking in terms of the band as an influence, overall, he acknowledged-more than anything-their great studio influence on other bands and how, in that way, they were responsible for a "revolution" of sorts. However, when taking it down to strictly the songs themselves (and I'm paraphrasing), Harrison felt that, in truth, about 75% of The Beatles music was overrated; but that the remainingg 25% were truly exceptional.

I am, truly, as much a Beatle nutcase as they come. Records, books, videos, bootlegs, multiple copies of albums for the craziest of reasons...whatever. That said, I see nothing wrong with people using the word "overrated" when it comes to them. I actually welcome it. It makes us think and keep the whole crazy thing in proper perspective...and who knows..to those who love them, discussions like this may make them get an even better grip as to WHY they love them so much.

Again, the little disputes and all, great thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 8:12:09 PM PDT
Iceblossom says:
Donald -- we each have our own definition of everything. As I mentioned it is why the Catholic church uses latin, so there is no disagreement and no changing of terms.

I listed several reasons why I classify the Beatles as a boy band, and more especially as a boy band made good.

From the screaming frenzied female teen fans, to the merchandising, to covering an average of 6 or so songs on each of their first albums, not including the movie soundtrack, to the cute guys in matching suits and a couple other points as well.

I said a number of times in my initial postings, were you and the others here to quibble over the definition of what constitutes a boy band or what i said.

You apparently are here to quibble.

There are Beatles fans who will proclaim to their dying breath that the Beatles on their worse day are better than most bands on their best, and they would not agree that all the songs are not classics.

Again, if you wish to discuss music other than the one line in your post where you say "No, I describe them as rock & roll", then please continue.

Or, continue to quibble and attack if you have nothing to say on a musical basis.

As always, thanks for playing :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 11, 2010 8:27:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 11, 2010 8:28:06 PM PDT
We don't all have our own definitions of everything. Most things are already defined. I see no need to redefine them.

"There are Beatles fans who will proclaim to their dying breath that the Beatles on their worse day are better than most bands on their best, and they would not agree that all the songs are not classics." What does that have to do with this thread? Who on this thread tried to argue this?

Iceblossom = Victimology 101. Disagreement equals attack. "You quibble, I discuss"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Music forum

Discussion Replies Latest Post
American Music And The British Invasion Part III 1310 2 minutes ago
Most generous "rock and roll stars" 1 1 hour ago
The Sun 7 : Your 7 Favorite Elvis Presley Sun Records Songs 4 1 hour ago
Create Your Own Elvis Presley "Artist Of The Century" Disc (25 Tracks)... 19 1 hour ago
the Isley Brothers discography thread 125 1 hour ago
Keith Moon---John Bonham---Bill Ward 13 2 hours ago
The Who Quadrophenia 11/1/1973--Pink Floyd The Wall 11/30/1979... 36 3 hours ago
toni childs 6 3 hours ago
Your 3 Favorite Elvis Presley SOUNDTRACK Albums 6 3 hours ago
A November 1968 matchup: "Astral Weeks" by Van Morrison vs. "The Village Green Preservation Society" by The Kinks 246 3 hours ago
Need Help. Queen A Night At The Opera Remaster 2011 16 3 hours ago
What Are You Listening To? (Volume Three) 1216 5 hours ago

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  365
Total posts:  1348
Initial post:  Aug 10, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 29, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions