Customer Discussions > Music forum

Looking for the WORST country music

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 250 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 9, 2012 7:56:19 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:14:39 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:03:53 AM PST
Stratocaster says:
Have you heard any of Taylor Swift's new album?
'Nuff said.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:43:07 AM PST
Gena Chereck says:
I humbly nominate Jason Aldean's "She's Country" -- check out these lyrics, especially the verses:

http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/aldean-jason/shes-country-26795.html

I would also recommend(?) Luke Bryan's "Country Girl (Shake it For Me)," Brantley Gilbert's "Country Must Be Country Wide" and Tim McGraw's "Truck Yeah!" :p

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:47:33 AM PST
Fischman says:
It's country--an automatic all-way tie for last place.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:57:37 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:50:45 PM PST
Hank Williams, Merle Haggard & Johnny Cash were country music legends and the real deal. In 2012 it's a bunch of pretty boys and girls with corporate sponsorship churning out a bunch of watered-down pop with a twangy guitar stuck in to make it 'country.' This pap is all American Idol junk that they are trying to pass off as country music only to sell you more pimple cream.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:03:05 AM PST
vivazappa says:
Two words...Mac Davis!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:39:00 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 9:42:43 AM PST
B L T says:
"The Dude" singing country music...

"Jeff Bridges" by Jeff Bridges: Jeff Bridges

Jeff Bridges will always be "The Dude" to me.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:11:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 10:11:23 AM PST
W. Robinson says:
Why? So you can show up how "bad" the country music genre is ?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:25:30 PM PST
Emery Would says:
Look, this isn't even a discussion. I think everyone in the world agrees that the worst country song in the world... in fact, the worst song in the world is that achingly cloying Chistmas song about the freakin' "Shoes." If you've heard it, I'm sure you know what I mean. The kid (narrator) is in a shoe store buying his Mama shoes on Christmas Eve, because she's about to go meet Jesus. It's overwrought, it's obvious a put-on accent, and it's got all the ham-bone country music flouishes. It's like somebody said, 'I've got something none of these hicks will eat up like a big 'ol bowl of red eye gravy,' and, of course, it was a smash. I don't think any other song would cause me to punch a singer right in the mouth, but I hate that one with the intensity of 10,000 suns.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:33:55 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 12:34:15 PM PST
Stratocaster says:
Emery Would: When you started to mention Chistmas songs, I though you were heading towards "Grandma Got Runover By A Reindeer". That piece of trash should be outlawed. I've never heard of this "shoes" song that you speak of. By the sounds of it, I guess I should consider myself lucky.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 12:49:56 PM PST
Stratocaster ~

You need to start a "Worst Christmas Songs" thread as you get plent of hits at that one.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:13:16 PM PST
Gena Chereck says:
Good lord, that thing is considered a country song?? o_O

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:20:02 PM PST
I've never heard anything by Taylor Swift. She seems a cutesy poppy singer. Never thought to check out her catalog. A counterpart to Justin Beiber's act?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:21:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:15:12 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:21:46 PM PST
MEADE SKELTON!!! (walk off...)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:26:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:32:19 PM PST
W. Robinson says:
Emery Would, .. If your talking about the same song I'm thinking of ( and the description there does match up, though I know not the title or groups name ) then THAT song is nowhere near country.
Now there is an old song, which is definately country western and thematically similar to that one, by a certain Red Sovin titled 'Roses For Moma.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:38:35 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:16:21 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:39:40 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:16:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:45:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:16:48 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:57:35 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
Donna Fargo, plus anyone whose career began within the last twenty-five years?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:02:28 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@stratocaster:

<<Have you heard any of Taylor Swift's new album?>>

Wow. No doubt. Taylor already has become the country music version of Madonna. For the millions who love her, there are millions who call her talentless, ugly, etc. I like her music ok.....some of it I thought was damn good. I haven't heard her latest but I'll be sure to give it a listen and tell you what I think. (I Do think she's quite pretty and poised for her age). She was writing songs at, like, 11.

ed.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:20:02 PM PST
E. Dill says:
Son of Flintstone:

Yeah, I kind of agree with you on Eddy Arnold's pop country. It proves that country pop did NOT begin with the likes of Kenny Rogers, Faith Hill, etc. I mean, Eddy is in the Country Music Hall of Fame and he made it back when country was considered "all about the integrity of the music". Kind of like the BS everyone says about the rock music of the 60's and 70's. All integrity and all labels wanting to make art, not profits.

They tried to ruin Patsy Cline amidst a wash of violins (NOT fiddles) but her voice was too powerful to dismiss, regardless of the arrangements.

People who like older country musci and hate the country pop of the later years should spend more time investigating what is commonly referred to as alternative country. It kind of began, as a name, with the band Uncle Tupelo which eventually split off into Son Volt and Wilco. Of course Lucinda Williams and Dwight Yoakam are also often considered part of the "alt country" crowd. Some of the greats have never been particularly commerically successful but manage to get to the roots of country music even when they add some rock to the mix.

I remember when their early magazine "bible" existed (now, only an online magazine, if that), "No Depression. They did an end of best of list of their top 20 or 50 albums of the year and I loved EVERYONE of them? Everyone of them had both a country roots "edge" AND a rock (n roll) edge to them. And they didn't seem simply a pastiche.

Didn't Debbie Boone release an album for the country charts. I think she may have been awarded a Grammy for it. Debbie's ok, but she ain't no country singer.

ed

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:28:28 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 25, 2013 8:17:14 AM PDT]

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:00:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 6:03:29 PM PST
Jules says:
Do you like Hank Williams III? His stuff is kind of weird. My son said he sings like Hank Sr about today's topics and that is a good definition, I think. I didn't care for the album of his I bought, maybe the first one? I kind of liked the vocals but his songs sounded like they should have been heavy metal, not country. I'm thinking of the one 'Must Have Been Them Pills I Took". I didn't like his attitude towards women, too close to abuse to be funny! I really like The Zac Brown Band and Jamey Johnson, for new.

No one mentioned Darius Rucker, you know, Hootie And the Blowfish singer? I've only heard one song by him, and after I got used to his new style, I liked it. He always had a strong, deep voice, suited to country, I believe. And it's cool that he's not white, people should be able to perform any music they like, no matter their background. Will people buy it, though?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:57:50 PM PST
E. Dill says:
@Son of Flintstone:

Your mention of Bobby Goldsboro and Roy Orbison reminded me not only of the dreck that Bobby made but the fact that Roy made a few that in any others hands would have been just as difficult to listen to but somehow made them work.....at least for me.

Example: I can't think of anyone else that could have sung a song like Roy's "Mama" without me throwing up.

Dig these lyrics:

Mama lyrics

Mama, just had to call, oh, Mama
Your baby boy just had his heart
Broken in two, she said we're through
But to send her best to you.
Oh, Mama, I'd like to run to you, Mama.
I'd come home today, leave right away,
But things won't work that way
Gotta stay, be a man,
If I can, Mama.

No, Mom, I don't know. I called her tonight.
No, not at home. Yeah, you're probably right.
Yes, I'll take care of myself. No, I'll be alright.
I'll go to bed early tonight.
Oh, Mama, tell Dad I think of him, Mama.
How's Uncle Joe, my puppy, Coco,
Tell them hello, oh, better go
But gosh, I loved her so.

Umm, Mama, don't worry so much, darling Mama.
Now, Mama don't cry, just say goodbye,
Can't have us both in tears, oh, Mom, you know me.
Yes, I'll always be your baby through all the years.

Yeah, if Bobby would have sung that, I'd have been wretching. Somehow, miraculously, Roy pulls it off.
Yes, even the thickness of stuff like "your baby boy", "I'd like to run to you, Mama", "Gotta stay, be a man, If I can", "I'll be alright, I;ll go to bed early tonight", "How's Uncle Joe, my puppy, Coco", "But gosh, I loved her so", "yes, I;ll always be your baby through all the years" still works somehow with Roy singing. I often refer to his stuff with Monument Records as "mini pop operas" with the melodrama and the way the song usually builds to the "big finish". Once in awhile, a song that seems sure to turn out badly....doesn't. One in particular (maybe the only one of the type) is "Running Scared"

Running Scared lyrics
Songwriters: Melson, Joe; Orbison, Roy;

Just runnin' scared, each place we go
So afraid that he might show
Yeah, runnin' scared, what would I do
If he came back and wanted you

Just runnin' scared, feelin' low
Runnin' scared, you love him so
Just runnin' scared, afraid to lose
If he came back which one would you choose

Then all at once he was standing there
So sure of himself, his head in the air
My heart was breaking, which one would it be
You turned around and walked away with me.

Roy, you devil you. I'm sitting here, semi-mocking your lyrics and tearing up as I read them.

ed.

ps. As early country pop goes, I guess Eddy's "Make the World Go Away" is as good as it gets. But the Country Hall of Fame?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Music forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  250
Initial post:  Nov 9, 2012
Latest post:  May 14, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions